cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JT Strong Arm Stab. vs. 2 Addit. Front 30” Scissor Jacks

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS. I want to reduce the shake when people move around when parked with the landing gear and rear stabilizer jacks down. I was planning on JT Strong Arm stabilizers based on forum research.

I went to get the JT Strong Arm install done, and the tech suggested I instead consider two additional 30” scissor jacks, one mounted on each side near the front of the frame. The cost would be less, and he thought it would be better for the landing gear life.

He said the JT Strong Arm install would require installing an additional metal reinforcing plate in the middle so that the arms are not skewed coming from the landing gear to the bottom middle of the frame. He also said they have seen some issues with additional load being placed on landing gear causing landing gear failure related to JT Strong Arm. Last, there may be a conflict with the spare tire which is mounted on the bottom front of the trailer.

Any thoughts on using two new 30” scissor jacks bolted to the frame near the front, about 4’ back from the front, instead of the JT Strong Arm setup?

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I put the system on mine and its VERY stable. I come in around 285 and it stops almost all movement in the rig. The only mounting problem I had was the rear attachment point on the frame. There wasn't one on my rig because of the pull-out bike mount. I welded a piece of 1 inch angle iron from side-to-side inside the frame and under the pull-out rack. I used 3/8 for overall strength. Once in place, it was simply a matter of drilling the holes and mounting the bracket. BTW-- The "tec Support" at Lippert was worthless -- PERIOD. Remember to paint with anti-rust for a lasting job.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
magic43 wrote:
Each Strongarm forms a triangle which is the most rigid geometric design. A scissor jack alone is just another post with no brace.

You can't beat a triangle for SOLID!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Each Strongarm forms a triangle which is the most rigid geometric design. A scissor jack alone is just another post with no brace.
magic43

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Learjet wrote:
find a new tech, bad advice.

Couldn't agree more! 🙂
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The only thing I would even begin to believe is that the front mounted spare might cause interference if it extends near the bottom front edge of the trailer. That is where the mounting bracket for the front side to side stabilizers is installed. That could be accounted for, but might require fabricating a special bracket.

The scissor jacks would do nothing to stop side to side or front to back movement. The JTs are an excellent addition and worth the money.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Colo Native wrote:
I am in the process of putting on JT's now. The put the wrong swing bolts in the kit so I am waiting on that

I had the same issue, the top part of the bolts needs to be flat not slightly domed. I needed to send pictures and have a call with their CS. I hope the have the replacement stock corrected.

To the OP's question find a new Tech, both of my arms to the front legs are slightly skewed and work great. The only issue is it is harder now to raise the lower LG, I use a block and a couple foot stick for leverage. The 5er is rock solid with them!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:

I agree, I have had the JT Strongarms on 2 trailers and they are fantastic!

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of putting on JT's now. The put the wrong swing bolts in the kit so I am waiting on that
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 more scissor jacks won't do diddly to eliminate wiggle. Unless you get 4 of them and mount them near the wheels and lift the wheels off the ground. JT Strongarms work very well. They may not eliminate all the movement, but they will eliminate a lot of it. Now I can put my full cup of coffee on the table and not worry about it spilling if someone walks around.

You need a new tech.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion