cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping it fresh from winter

ret-miner
Explorer
Explorer
Just wonduring what people do or put in their rv to keep it fresh from winter storage
19 REPLIES 19

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
GoldWingRyder wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
A container of cottonballs soaked in peppermint oil (not extract). Supposedly, mice dislike the scent and it keeps them away.

Even if it doesn't work, the camper smells all peppermint-y, which is better than some other possible RV "aromas". :B

Tried that a couple of times! Both times the cotton balls diappeared, found them in two mouse nests, LOL! Gave up on that one :h

Too funny!

Yeah, we use a Cool-Whip container with holes in the lid. If you leave the cotton balls in an open container, they dry out and the scent goes away after awhile.

Apparently dried cotton balls make excellent mouse nesting materials. Thanks for the heads up on that.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Damp Rid desiccant pots 2-3 The Damp Rid uses chlorine dioxide technology to oxidize odors.
mm49

GoldWingRyder
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
A container of cottonballs soaked in peppermint oil (not extract). Supposedly, mice dislike the scent and it keeps them away.

Even if it doesn't work, the camper smells all peppermint-y, which is better than some other possible RV "aromas". :B

Tried that a couple of times! Both times the cotton balls diappeared, found them in two mouse nests, LOL! Gave up on that one :h
Bob & Dinny

"Keep Your Knees,
In The Breeze!" ๐Ÿ™‚
US Army "Retired" 1SG

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
People using damnp rid and dryer sheets. How long are you storing your RV? Also, do you close up all the vents and windows?

I usually do nothing special and leave my vents open all year with maxxair covers. The longest the 5er doesn't see use is maybe 6- 8 weeks at a time.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

ret-miner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, I think we will go with Damp Rid and dryer sheets

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Winter? Oh, those cool months in Dec and Jan here in AZ. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Damp Rid desiccant pots 2-3
mm49

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
ADCO cover (breathable) and leave the small window over the kitchen sink open a few inches, frig and bathroom doors open. We've been through three off seasons in the northeast (October to March) and have never had a problem with odor or mildew.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the pure peppermint on cotton balls, 2 nice benefits, good smell and no mice.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Choose your poison. LOL. Seriously, I store our 5er in a building that houses other RV's, boats, autos, soybeans and not sure what else after I drop it off for the winter. I cracked the roof vents a smidge once and ended up w/ a lot of dust inside next spring.

Prior to storage, we clean the inside well. Place drier sheets all over. Hang moth cakes (approx 7-9 of 'em) throughout coach. Put charcoal in 3-4 pans to absorb moisture (roof vents closed). Last year, I tried something additional a RV supply place was selling that's supposed to keep mice out (similar to the peppermint oil).. No mice! Even put drier sheets in lower storage areas. Prior to the additional mouse deterrent, come spring, the inside did smell like moth cakes. Open windows and let air out for a couple days, no more oder or just a small trace of it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Move farther south so you can open the windows some days and enjoy the breeze.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer

G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
We used to put antifreeze in the lines and drains/traps, remove anything perishable, and used a myriad of items to ward off rodents. Now we just take it to Texas for 6 months. ๐Ÿ™‚
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Use i believe is the best medicine. We are lucky and have it at home, use it monthly and no issues. Yo might want to keep some pine sol, lemon smelling stuff or something in a five gallon bucket with some water to create a large long lasting air freshener. If you have odors. you can put some charcole brickets in an open box like a pop case and they will absorb odors. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !