cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone RV

Wantmontana1964
Explorer
Explorer
I want to caution anyone thinking about purchasing a Keystone product. My roof rubber came off suddenly. I have taken care of all seals every year. They had me take it to an authorized repair facility where I was told the roof was not put on properly. Keystone RV was given that information but denied repairs saying it was four years out of warranty. Buyer beware. Now stuck with $6,000 repair!
14 REPLIES 14

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Rwake901 wrote:
Donโ€™t rely on Keystoneโ€™s warranty because it sucks or any of their specs to be correct in their brochures. The specs on our unit states that we have a 66 gallon fresh water tank when in fact itโ€™s only 40 gallons. I have had several small issues with our new fifth wheel by Keystone and repaired and paid for them all myself even though itโ€™s still under warranty. Every time I would call Keystone about an issue I was having rather than just sending me the part like other manufacturers do I was told โ€œtake it to your dealer โ€œ. I canโ€™t haul this thing 180 miles round trip to my dealer every time some $20 to $50 dollar part goes bad. So I just fix it myself. This will definitely be the last Keystone product I own mainly because of the warranty and misrepresentation of their product. Good luck with your roof.

All manufacturers misrepresent their products and every single one has a disclaimer worded something to this effect on websites and brochures.

"All information on this website is the latest available at time of publication approval. Features, floor plans, and specifications are subject to change without notice. Please consult with your Keystone dealer for more current product information and specifications. Photos on the website may show optional equipment or props used for photography purposes."

It's Caveat Emptor when buying an RV.

Keystone does require everything to be done through a dealer regarding warranty work, and it's spelled out clearly in the warranty docs which people should read prior to signing on the line. Lots of other manufacturers will not send parts to owners under warranty. Forest River is a good example, some brands / lines might send you parts, others will tell you to take a hike It's not a Keystone only thing.

Not sure how it's Keystones fault that you bought at a dealer 180 miles away. Next time your tow vehicle has a warranty issue as GM or Ford to come fix it in your driveway and see if that works.

Good luck finding another brand where you don't have a lot of the same type scenarios you take issue with.

Itโ€™s 180 miles โ€œround tripโ€ and itโ€™s the closest RV dealer to me that sells fifth wheels. Iโ€™ve owned both Thor and Tiffin motorhomes both had no problems sending me the parts under warranty. So what youโ€™re saying is itโ€™s ok for the manufacturer to lie and deceive their customers as long as they add that little disclaimer? Just checking, do you work for Keystone? I personally donโ€™t like to be lied to or deceive. Donโ€™t get me wrong we like our fifth wheel and think for the price itโ€™s built adequately but I think Keystone should stand behind their products better than they do. I would think that they would want to send you the parts to repair what is needed to avoid paying a dealer to fix it. You can bet that if something major goes wrong it will be at the dealer for repairs.

I was not saying anything is ok. I was just talking realities. Probably should of stayed with the Thor or Tiffen motorhomes. Keystone is a division of Thor, which sort of reinforces the point I was making.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Rwake901 wrote:
Donโ€™t rely on Keystoneโ€™s warranty because it sucks or any of their specs to be correct in their brochures. The specs on our unit states that we have a 66 gallon fresh water tank when in fact itโ€™s only 40 gallons. I have had several small issues with our new fifth wheel by Keystone and repaired and paid for them all myself even though itโ€™s still under warranty. Every time I would call Keystone about an issue I was having rather than just sending me the part like other manufacturers do I was told โ€œtake it to your dealer โ€œ. I canโ€™t haul this thing 180 miles round trip to my dealer every time some $20 to $50 dollar part goes bad. So I just fix it myself. This will definitely be the last Keystone product I own mainly because of the warranty and misrepresentation of their product. Good luck with your roof.

All manufacturers misrepresent their products and every single one has a disclaimer worded something to this effect on websites and brochures.

"All information on this website is the latest available at time of publication approval. Features, floor plans, and specifications are subject to change without notice. Please consult with your Keystone dealer for more current product information and specifications. Photos on the website may show optional equipment or props used for photography purposes."

Keystone does require everything to be done through a dealer regarding warranty work, and it's spelled out clearly in the warranty docs which people should read prior to signing on the line. Lots of other manufacturers will not send parts to owners under warranty. Forest River is a good example, some brands / lines might send you parts, others will tell you to take a hike It's not a Keystone only thing.

Not sure how it's Keystones fault that you bought at a dealer 180 miles away. Next time your tow vehicle has a warranty issue as GM or Ford to come fix it in your driveway and see if that works.

Good luck finding another brand where you don't have a lot of the same type scenarios you take issue with.

Itโ€™s 180 miles โ€œround tripโ€ and itโ€™s the closest RV dealer to me that sells fifth wheels. Iโ€™ve owned both Thor and Tiffin motorhomes both had no problems sending me the parts under warranty. So what youโ€™re saying is itโ€™s ok for the manufacturer to lie and deceive their customers as long as they add that little disclaimer? Just checking, do you work for Keystone? I personally donโ€™t like to be lied to or deceive. Donโ€™t get me wrong we like our fifth wheel and think for the price itโ€™s built adequately but I think Keystone should stand behind their products better than they do. I would think that they would want to send you the parts to repair what is needed to avoid paying a dealer to fix it. You can bet that if something major goes wrong it will be at the dealer for repairs.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
I had roof problems and I called Dicor who furnished the original roof. they sent a re from the maker of the roof material. he agreed their was a problem. Dicor furnished all material EPDM and proper glue etc at no charge and I did the labor. A lot cheaper than $6000.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't had any issues with our 2015 Alpine that we didn't cause ourselves, or at least anything worth bothering with warranty on. We bought it in 2016.

The one exception might be leaking hydraulic cylinder which was covered under warranty, but that is more Lippert's fault than Keystone's.

We had a 2014 Hideout previously, and aside from a missing shackle bolt on the rear axle from the factory (a huge oversight, in my opinion) it was problem-free. We had it for a year, then traded to our first fifth wheel in 2015.

The 2015 Crossroads unit we had between the two Keystones was nothing but trouble, and we ended up trading it at a loss just to get out from under it with all the problems it was having. It spent more than half the time we owned it waiting on warranty repairs for the roof, the axles, electrical and so many other issues that I can't even remember them all.

We've done a ton of upgrades on our Alpine and would probably sell it to buy a Luxe or New Horizons now that we're going full-time if we wouldn't take such a hit on depreciation and modifications. But as far as the mass produced units go, we think it is probably as good as any. We make it a point to talk to owners of other rigs at sites and have talked to plenty of people with DRV, Grand Design, Redwood and other units that have experienced more issues than us. When we took our rig in to have a FlexArmor roof put on, the rig in front of us was a brand new Redwood that had the roof bubble up and blow off going down the highway. Our roof replacement was our fault (sort of), due to a low hanging tree branch that tore it going into a campground.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I met a guy that said he worked a Keystone line in Indiana for four years and he'd never buy one. But then I had a Keystone Everest that was a very good trailer for us. It's a gamble.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, saw a Toyota FJ at Home Depot a few days ago. It was =completely= covered with spray-on lining! :B A very good job and looked pretty cool, that's for sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cavie wrote:
That will happen with any manufacturer not just Keystone. Welcome to the world of RVing.

X2... Almost NOTHING will happen 4 years out of warranty. with ANY manufacturer..

change it out to RV Roof Armor, or Flex Armor and forget it....

Take this opportunity to go with FlexArmor and enjoy never having to worry about your roof again.

As far as faulting Keystone, it lasted all this time. Seems the install was "good enough" to last this long, I wouldn't be so quick to believe the tech without investigating it myself. Even if it were truly installed incorrectly, all manufacturers have issues like this until you get into the custom tier like New Horizons and Spacecraft.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FlatBroke wrote:
If it was said it was installed improperly do some calling yourself. Donโ€™t rely on a dealer to do that. Keystone MAY cover part of it. Trailer Life magazine may be able to help also.

What he^^^^ said! Also, I'd talk to my insurance company about it. Get them involved and maybe =they= can recover something from Keystone.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
If it was said it was installed improperly do some calling yourself. Donโ€™t rely on a dealer to do that. Keystone MAY cover part of it. Trailer Life magazine may be able to help also.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

cavie wrote:
That will happen with any manufacturer not just Keystone. Welcome to the world of RVing.

X2... Almost NOTHING will happen 4 years out of warranty. with ANY manufacturer..

change it out to RV Roof Armor, or Flex Armor and forget it....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber itself is usually guaranteed for 10 years. The installation is guaranteed under warranty for only 1 year. You past your "warranty" period. It's Keystone's loop hole. I know, been there, done that. Not with a roof, but with other "things" over the years. I'm on my 3rd Keystone manufactured RV. If you understand the rules, they are no different than any other manufacturer. They all suck! That's why owners have to meticulously tend to everything on their own RV's. They are not 'plug and play and forget it" systems. This causes a lot of confusion, frustration, aggravation, and disappointment for a lot of people who are not prepared to do some due-diligence themselves.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.