cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking toilet

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
The Thetford toilet in our Cameo 5-er leaks at the back when you depress the foot pedal; right where there's some kind of mechanism protruding from the bowl.

To fix this, I'm assuming you have to replace some part, but first have to remove the toilet? Not much room back there to do much
Thanks,

Dave
5 REPLIES 5

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was the vacuum breaker on ours. We were on a trip out east at the time so I just installed a shutoff valve at the toilet. We continued to use it by dumping water in the toilet.
Ours was under warranty at the time. We had a couple other issues so I waited until we got home to take it to the dealer for repair. As others have posted it is a very easy repair.
Good luck.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If right at top behind toilet then it sounds like vacuum breaker
If down lower then water valve

Pick your toilet then the provided open parts link, manual link etc.

Thetford Toilets
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
Had 3 Thetford toilets in the last 11 years of FTing. You have 2 possibilities of your issue. The vacuum break and the water valve. All of mine were water valves. I keep one in stock at all times. The valve leaks out the shaft. They are not repairable. Must replace. Leaks only when the toilet is being flushed. Use a flashlight and maybe a mirror to see the water dripping off the linkage. Remove the toilet, replace the valve and all is good again. Make sure you take a pic of the setup (linkage-return spring) after you remove the toilet. Reinstall exactly the same way. About a 15 minute job. Eazy-Peazy. rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Water valve leaks is common on some Thetford toilets. Easy to fix after you get the toilet out.
I would remove it then decide whether a new valve is worth it or not. We had ours leak a couple times, replaced the valve, but the main slider valve mechanism was getting rusty. decided just to replace the whole thing.
I replaced by Thetford Galaxy with a Thetford Bravura.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

r2pipes
Explorer
Explorer
Which Toilet do you have Dave Thetford had a problem with some valves back in 2010. If you pressed the valve half was down to fill the bowl with water it would leak. I tired to get them to replace but they wouldn't so had to buy a new one. If its coming from behind most likely the valve. Call Thetford with the model number and they will sell you a new one. Not hard to put in (look on U-Tube) but you will have to remove the toilet. Thats usually only two nuts.