cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving the fifth wheel plugged in

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason to leave your fifth wheel plugged in when you're not using it?
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
21 REPLIES 21

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is only plugged in about 1% of the time even when we are using it. Our solar keeps our batteries charged because I unplugged the converter years ago.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi..my disconnect switch turns off all the power to the coach.that is what I want when storing the 5th wheel between trips.... During long term storage in the winter I remove the battery and connect it to the maintainer in my garage. I usually get 5 years life from my deep cycle batteries . .. Jim2007...
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:
My batt switch turns 100% of the power off. I installed myself. :W

My factory disconnect kills all 12v power =except= the slide and landing legs. This includes the battery charger...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My batt switch turns 100% of the power off. I installed myself. :W

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgerson wrote:
Ok but if you turn the kill switch off, the batteries won't run down will they? Thank you all for your answers.

Yes, they will. There are items (such as the CO detector/alarm) that are powered from a point between the battery and the cut-off switch. Some units keep power on all the time to the entertainment center to maintain memory and the clock. These are low draw, but over time they will run the battery down.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Some items are not controlled by the cutoff switch (propane detector, some smoke alarms, some clocks, etc) and will slowly, bur surely, kill your batteries. The only sure disconnect is to remove the connection at the ground side of the battery.

My Titanium is in the backyard and stays plugged in to 50Amps, with an EMS, all the time.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

SH
Explorer
Explorer
dpgerson wrote:
Ok but if you turn the kill switch off, the batteries won't run down will they? Thank you all for your answers.

Mr. Gerson, you may want to visit the Alpenlite Group on Facebook if you do that...pretty good site!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has been plugged in 365 for the last 7 years unless on the road or the 1/2 dozen nights we've dry camped.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it is winterized, it is plugged in. My reasons are battery charged but more importantly is keeping the frig cold.

Back during the rash of cooling unit failures I was told by a tech at Dometic that part of the reasons for failures was the heat cycle, expansion/contraction from turning off and on. During normal operation the temperature fluctuation is not that great but if you turn it off it goes from hot to ambient.

Don't know if that is true but it doesn't cost much to keep it cold and ready to go.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dpgerson wrote:

If plugged in, but the disconnect is OFF, you won't charge your batteries. I found this out the hard way. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I turn the kill switch off but still have a maintainer on the batteries. I have 30 amp available if I need it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is at my house and plugged in. During the season I keep a/c set to 90, refer on with groceries in it and I am constantly in it tinkering, snoozing, boozing or what ever else I may find to do in it.

Mine goes to the farm in October and is set up as hunting camp, where it also stays plugged in and heated to 40* with refer and groceries till the 1st of the year.

It then comes home and is completely winterized and shut down...yet still plugged in.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is in a storage lot, so keeping it plugged in is not in the question but we do have a solar battery charger hooked up to keep the battery up. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W