cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Let's talk generators - again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still doing research on a generator for my 5er.

First off, "the boss" has decided that SHE does not want a portable unit, for the sole purpose of being able to run the air conditioner(s) in the 5er at any time, even while driving. Also, being able to power up the 5er at rest stops, events, and such without having to drag out something on wheel and wires.

My 5er is a 50 amp with 2 AC's and Residential refrigerator. I have no issues with the refrigerator, powered by a 1000 watt inverter, powered by 2-twelve volt batteries when off grid.

So, that has pretty much narrowed down my list to the Cummins Onan RV generators. My 5er is designed to fit a generator in the front bay:

And the two under consideration:

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 Gasoline Generator
Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP Generator

One thing I'm not able to determine, especially with the gasoline version, is the fuel tank. Does anyone know if the generator itself has a fuel tank? Or does a separate fuel tank need to be installed somewhere in the 5er.

I have a portable generator I use at home, and it has it's own gas tank attached. Holds 2.5 gallons.

For those of you with a 5er, no doubt the generator is installed in the front bay. Where is your gasoline supply for the generator at (if you have one).

If you have LP version's fuel, no doubt it has to be supplied by an external tank somewhere. Did you just tap into your existing 5er gas lines, or install a separate gas tank/bottle. I always carry a 3rd - 30 pound propane tank with us in the pass through because we do use this camper in the winter (a lot) and wanted a back-up full tank, all the time.

Last question? Portable units are ruled out. Other than Onan, are there any other manufacturers that make an in-house RV generator, similar to the Onan. Or is Onan the only one "out there". If there are others, what are they?

Yes, I know these things are "pricey", but I'll deal with that once I get the logistics figured out.

Your experience is greatly appreciated.
75 REPLIES 75

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Big Dog2 wrote:

Have you considered purchasing (yes, I am spending your money) composite propane bottles.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/products/

Just a thought. Enjoy your retirement.

Nice but they do not appear ready for prime time. The largest RV tank they market is size equivalent to a 30lb but only holding 22 lbs. That is about a 25% loss of capacity.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Big_Dog2
Explorer
Explorer
My 30 lb propane tanks are definitely gaining weight as I age. Since it appears you likely will be operating a genset on propane, you will definitely be looking at extra propane bottles.

Have you considered purchasing (yes, I am spending your money) composite propane bottles. They are very light and are translucent so you can see the level of the liquid propane left in the bottle. They are pricey but kinda cool.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/products/

Just a thought. Enjoy your retirement.
I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Your experience is greatly appreciated.

Onan 5500 LP; dealer installed at purchase on "Generator Ready" 5th wheel.

2 each 40 pound LP tanks as standard OEM on the 5ver with OEM plumbing to genset.

We do not dry-camp or boondock. On occasion we pull over (rest-stop) for a break, but all else is full hook-ups. We have zero intention for the smoke-sniffing side of RVing, so the generator is for pure convenience. I have on occasion brought a 2000w Yamaha and extra gasoline as a "just-in-case" type of mentality, but never once used it.

The longest we have ever run the Onan is 2-3 hours while performing RV maintenance at the storage facility. We rarely use the gas range, our reefer is residential, and the water heater is a propane sipping Truma, so twin 40lb tanks gives us a good practical supply. I have zero problem lifting them while knocking on Septuagenarian age.

As Cummins mentioned, the push button convenience is...convenient.

Also, LP gensets do not foul fuel systems or oil like gasoline models, for whatever type (portable or installed) you decide.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I know you are heavily leaning propane Cummins, but I will ask,,,
Do you anticipate being an "anti" snowbird and camping in the south in the summer? If not, then chances are you can get by very well for what you will be doing with a 3500 watt portable, if you wish it can be mounted on a frame attached to the rear 2" receiver on a Montana. There are ways to lock it.
A 3200 watt Champ with remote will give you pushbutton convenience, and do so at less than 1/4 the cost of the Cummins lp unit with no loss of storage.

I would have to try it for a while before I would commit to a $4k-$5k modification to the unit.
You should have an idea now of how well the camper cools off a single unit, and whether or not that should work based on this years usage. But if you follow the normal winters south, summers north pattern, I would think the single AC would suffice under most circumstances.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go gasoline check West Marine for gas tanks. They have both steel and plastic tanks in different configurations and gallonage. They also have the fills and vents for them. They also carry a gas gauge that connects to the fuel tank and operates off 12 vdc. Another thing to keep in mind about the Neanderthal Onans, yes I have one, they have no 12vdc built in charge system. Don't ask how I found out. Instead of using house batteries to start the Onan, I installed a separate start battery. Another thing, Onan is light years behind the up to date stuff. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have dual fuel like so many other brands on the market today?

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about some of you Guys. I'm a 71 year old Female and I just had one of my 40Lb tanks refilled and I installed it back into it's compartment, heavy YES, but doable.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tailgated UF football games for years. The reserved RV sites on campus held a few hundred RVS. Everyone rolled in Friday afternoon and stayed until around noon on Sunday. Everyone ran their gensets constantly. No standalone gensets allowed.

The fiver guys all had propane Onans fueled by 30 pound bottles. I want to say they brought 4-5 in the truck bed and had two in the RV. Auto cutover so they knew their timing and replaced the empty.

This in Florida heat full sun open parking lot.

I personally would not add gasoline into the mix.

Some toy haulers had gas tanks for the gensets and ATVs.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I have two - 30 pounders. And a 3rd 30 pounder in reserve, not attached.
For extended use you can always get a couple more 30 pounders. 40 is OK too but would be getting a bit heavy for me.

Absolutely correct there. 30 pound tanks are about my limit. After reading these posts to my wife, I commented to her that lifting a 40 pounder would probably be a "bit much" for me. At 64 years, things seem to be getting heavier and heavier for me.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
I have two - 30 pounders. And a 3rd 30 pounder in reserve, not attached.
For extended use you can always get a couple more 30 pounders. 40 is OK too but would be getting a bit heavy for me.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Need to connect you with a guy I met recently. Removing his Onan due to weight and LP consumption. Sounds like you are aware of the issues going in to the very pricey purchase.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I do see where Transfer flow has a gas tank that replaces our propane tank, so thats an option where gas would be more available. Then maybe go a 40 lb. tank on the other side to give a bit more for the propane use .

I would prefer to haul gas cans around in my truck then I would propane bottles.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
I'm curious where a gas tank goes for an onboard gas generator . ... my Montana fifth wheel, no room ...

That's exactly why I'm asking here, to see if anyone else has done it. Like yours, there's no room anywhere for an on-board gasoline tank.

Your response here, pretty much clincles it, that a gasoline operated generator would not work considering they do not come with a tank attached.

Looks like propane is the most practical way to go for my specific 5er with the least evasive set-up work involved.

Still researching, but this is helping to solidify choices before taking to an actual dealer or installer.

The one thing I can say, there is nothing better then that Onan LP, just push the button. They are very convenient . Between our portable ,and the Onan, I feel like I got it pretty much covered. But I don't boondock a great amount, so that Honda 2000 is usually left home. No need for it .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I did say "real life" consumption. I'm assuming there would not be a need to run the roof air 24/7.

What would you suggest for reserve capacity for someone who wishes to boondock?

cummins2014 wrote:
Wow ,72 hours , looking at what , 6-7 40 lb. tanks , maybe a bit less ,but still . ?? Is their other options on tanks that he could haul ??

I have the best of two worlds I guess. I haul around a Honda 2000, with a six gallon extended run tank, but we are never in weather where we need air conditioning dry camping. We usually run it in the morning to charge the batteries ,usually the furnace will run off, and on during the night, and in the evening if we have set up the satellite dish. If we run something more we can fire up the 5500 Onan briefly, say for the microwave or whatever.

The Honda 2000 is full the extended run tank is full ,thats nearly 7 gallons of gas, plus I will usually haul another 5 gallons. I can't remember the last time we stayed out long enough to even start on the 5 gallons.

To answer your question , I would say a couple extra 30 lb. tanks, but IMO boondocking, I just can't see it being very practical trying to run an LP 5500 for hours on end. , unless we were pretty close to a propane source . It just depends on the time, couple days not an issue, of course unless you need it running 24/7. Lot of if's only the OP can answer .

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
I'm curious where a gas tank goes for an onboard gas generator . ... my Montana fifth wheel, no room ...

That's exactly why I'm asking here, to see if anyone else has done it. Like yours, there's no room anywhere for an on-board gasoline tank.

Your response here, pretty much clincles it, that a gasoline operated generator would not work considering they do not come with a tank attached.

Looks like propane is the most practical way to go for my specific 5er with the least evasive set-up work involved.

Still researching, but this is helping to solidify choices before taking to an actual dealer or installer.