cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifting my 5th wheel hitch

JOHN_LAURA
Explorer
Explorer
As I have posted earlier, we have moved up to a Grand Design 5th wheel and a new Ram 2500 CTD. I talked the DW into letting me get the B&W Companion sliding hitch that fits in the factory puck system. I am trying to come up with a way to lift this in and out of the Ram's bed. Has anyone ever tried a engine lift to do this? Harbor Freight has them for Under $180.00, for a 2 ton. I don't have any trees to wench from. Just trying to see if anyone has tried it. Thanks
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
2017 TOYOTA CAMRY
2019 GRAND DESIGN REFLECTION 311BHS
THE WIFE AND I
SON 21 DAUGHTER 15
WONDER DOG LUCY
22 REPLIES 22

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what I did, I built a table out of 2x4 lumber that was the height of the tail gate. Then I can just slide the hitch on and off the truck bed with little problem. They are heavy to pick up but slide fairly easily. Make sure the table is stout with cross braces to hold the weight

Oh yeah this is best a two person operation, one behind the table to keep it next to the tailgate, the other doing the sliding. Unless you build a massive table, I used some plastic deck grating (I had on hand) as the top but you could use a couple of 2x4 across the top, it does not need to be solid, better not to keep the rain off it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 on using 5th wheel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an electric winch from Amazon and attached it to an eye bolt I installed in my garage rafters. I back in, wrap tow straps around the hitch, attach those to the winch and lift it up. Then I pull the truck out, lower the hitch onto a harborfreight wood dolly and roll it to where it's kept. Reverse the procedure to put it back in the truck.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same as NMDriver2, I just let it hang from the hitch pin and it's now just part of the 5th wheel when not in use.
Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I just pull the rail pins and let the landing legs on the 5er lift it. I leave it hanging on the 5er pin when not in use. Easy to re-attach when needed and out of the way when not.
Turret Class traveler

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I was originally headed that direction to remove my demco hijacker autoslide. Instead, I got a 1000# chain hoist from HF for about $30, and just threw a 6' 4x4 over a few rafters in my garage and looped a chain around it to lift my hitch in and out. Much easier for me to store the chain hoist than an engine lift.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harbor Freight sells one for under $100.

Clicky
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Ratchet winch in the garage?