cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Limited selection

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
My local dealer carries Columbus, Columbus Compass and Crusader fifth wheels. In your experience, which one is the better unit. We currently own a Sabre and may trade it in on one of the new mid bunk models. Thank you.
18 REPLIES 18

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Bobmontana wrote:
Thank you all for your input. We're beginning to lean toward the Columbus because of the more comfortable furniture in it over the crusader. At 13,000lbs empty though it might be a little heavy for my 2000 f350 7.3

13K empty means 14K to 15K loaded. I loved my 7.3L PSD and felt like I was willing to tow almost anything with it, but in its stock configuration, that's a little too much weight. I've seen and read of people who pull up in the 16K-18K range with a highly modified 7.3L, but even they admit that its not ideal, especially when compared to newer, more modern trucks/engines. Personally, I'd rather tow in the upper limits of my old 7.3L than the upper limits of the newer 1/2 ton EcoBoost trucks.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
The GD Owner's forum changed names after a potential legal issue was brought about due to trademark/name infringement or something to that extent. The site still functions the same way. If this picture was posted on that website, then it still exists and the link is still available...so please share it so we can read the back-story and responses.

Your statement about the website disassociating themselves with the GD and not wanting to face the facts is disingenuous and highly misleading. The website is extremely active with GD owners (and prospective owners) discussing the good and bad of the brand. No different than before.

BTW, I'm not a fan-boy of GD. I've owned Coachmen and Forest River products prior to our current GD. The best built in the bunch was the Coachmen TT, but it was older. The FR Wildcat was more structurally robust and excellent above the frame line. The current GD was purchased after copious amounts of research and so far, its meeting our expectations quite well.
SBGTF

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Iโ€™d really like to know the back story on that picture. Care to share the link where you found it?

An older post at the forum which was previously linked to by Grand Design as the "Grand Design Owners Forum". Now called "My Grand", which Grand Design dis-associated themselves from after 5 years or so. They evidently did not want to face the facts either.

Martin and the Fenech brothers, laughing all the way to the bank. Done it again.

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. We're beginning to lean toward the Columbus because of the more comfortable furniture in it over the crusader. At 13,000lbs empty though it might be a little heavy for my 2000 f350 7.3

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
D@mn! That Reflection still has paper plates on it!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d really like to know the back story on that picture. Care to share the link where you found it?
SBGTF

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I'm not a brand loyalist but other's and I can only share what we read, reviewed and experienced. I don't have a GD but from what I read and been told they back what they sell. I don't have an endless amount of cash so after having two fifth wheels from Northwood and only having a couple of minor issues we will probably purchase another Northwood if in the future we should desire another RV. Just review all of the RV sites and read owners complaints and how each manufacturer responded. No one wants to purchase an RV and have it sitting on a lot for months waiting while a dealer and manufacturer fight over who or if they will repair it. Buy the RV you and your family will enjoy. Happy travels
G.H.

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently in the market for a new 5th wheel, and as a 10+ year travel trailer owner, I agree with the comment about brand loyalty and cult followings.

Right now, I'm looking at small 5th wheels in the 32-36' range for our family of 4 and our dog. No luxury brands for us. The usual suspects are being considered. Jayco, Rockwood, Grand Design, Keystone. While there are certain makes that I like a little better than others, I can't for the life of me imagine getting so burdened with brand loyalty that I lose sight of what I consider to be other significant purchasing data points. Dealership, COST, location of the dealership, etc. For example, I really like the Grand Design, but the nearest dealer is located 200+ miles away in another state. The Rockwood, which I also like, is located 8 miles away. The Jayco, is located 25 miles away. Even if the Rockwood has 4-5 service issues, I'll be able to zip it over to the dealer in 20 minutes. That's pretty important to me.

I guess for me, having climbed in and out of so many campers, I don't see *that* big of a difference in build quality and fit and finish between the different makes within the class that I'm looking at.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
ependydad wrote:
They use the same crappy components as everyone else and their builds are done just as quickly as all the rest.

So with that logic, why would I spend 6-figures on a DRV when I could by Forest River Salem for mid-20's?

I'm far from being a GD fan-boy, but having spent lots of time in other RV's of comparable class, the GD is a better-built, better quality unit. I did the research before buying our current GD. They're not trouble-free all the time, but it's very easy to see how they stand out.

However, none of this answers the OP's question because GD is not an option he has (or is offering to explore).

This one stood out.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
O.K. like I said I have met and been inside and talked to a few folks in my travels with a Columbus and they are a nice 5er and up to par with my Montana, Grand design or ony other brand in it's class just my 2 bits from a guy who has been in an seen them all in 8 years on the road
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Go with what you like. My buddy has a GD and love's it. Whenever he had an issue they responded right away and ship it right out. We have a Northwood Arctic fox and love it. The only problem we've had is broken pendants lights due to the roads. Which one does your wife like? Good luck and happy travels.
G.H.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
They use the same crappy components as everyone else and their builds are done just as quickly as all the rest.

So with that logic, why would I spend 6-figures on a DRV when I could by Forest River Salem for mid-20's?

I'm far from being a GD fan-boy, but having spent lots of time in other RV's of comparable class, the GD is a better-built, better quality unit. I did the research before buying our current GD. They're not trouble-free all the time, but it's very easy to see how they stand out.

However, none of this answers the OP's question because GD is not an option he has (or is offering to explore).
SBGTF

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway, for bobmontana - for me, floorplan is way more important than specific manufacturers. Of those 3, I like Columbus better than the rest.

However, if the Compass or Crusader had an ideal floorplan, that's what I would buy.

Well, floorplan and cargo carrying capacity- my family packs heavy and we need all that we can get.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
:hWhat makes ya think GD's are better than any other brand out there???? I have two friends with them and they have the same problems as any other brand,I have met a few folks with a Columbus over my 8 years of full timing and I have not heard them complain Pick a 5er ya like do a good P.D.I. and go with it
TXiceman wrote:
Neither one is better than the other. They are all pretty much the same quality. If you want a better unit I suggest that you look at the Grand Design line.

Ken

topjimmy, I agree 100%. GD has done an amazing job of building a cult-like following and squelching naysayers. They use the same crappy components as everyone else and their builds are done just as quickly as all the rest.

I will say, their customer service seems to be slightly above the rest. At least, before they got bought out a few years back.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page