Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look Under that rig!!

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,
After a 6,300 mile trip this summer, my sweetie and I parked the rig in storage and got back to normal life at home. We planned to get out a travel a little for the holidays so I thought I would give the ship a once over. I was amazed what I found!

The shackle brackets were broken on the left and right side of the rear axle. How thankful are we for safety and that little nudge that says "go look under the rig".

Based on my conversation with MorRyde, I need to install the wet bolt kit to reinforce the brackets, and also replace the MorRyde suspension components between the two axles.

My biggest concern is the impact area above the leaf spring that cut a hole in my Lippert box frame. I need to somehow have that repaired and reinforced - I think. It scares me that the box frame has a hole cut in it, and what appears to be stress fractures.

The question is this. Do I need to go to a Lippert frame shop? Or can I use any reputable trailer repair repair / welding shop? After this is done, I will have the install of the new parts done.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Overall though - we are incredibly grateful!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
26 REPLIES 26

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't know if it is even possible for you, but I installed the Dexter EZ-Flex system with wet bolts and couldn't be happier. I doubt it is possible to put it on that trailer without a substantial monetary outlay. FWIW the EZ-Flex system is only a few hundred dollars, but doubtful it is a bolt-on with the Morryde system on there.

IMO the way the Dexter wet bolt kit works is how all trailer suspensions should operate.

What he has on there imho is more Heavy Duty compared to the ez flex. They should have come with the hd wet bolt kit but didn't.

For the OP...
I have a Carriage. See if the center rubber piece is still good, if you go to Morryde site they'll have a pdf to show how to tell (LRE suspension). There is a number stamped in to the rubber to tell which block you have. Changing the block and/ or the HD wet bolt shackles isn't that hard to do I did mine in the field while boondocking. The part of the frame dented I would take to a welding/ fabricicating shop and just weld a patch over the dented area.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:
I use to have the e z system but the weld and steel start to crack.I replace with MORYDE SRE 4000 and it looks that the FW run smoother now.$ 400 and a little work will do it.
What welds and steel with the EZ Flex have cracked? I've not seen any on my system, so I'm concerned with issues you've had.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO but I don't think you would get much return on the $6000 spent for the Morryde suspension. This is a 7 year old trailer, and if kept for a couple more years it will be 10 years old when sold. Unlikely to get but pennies back on the dollars spent.

It's a very nice looking setup, but a lot to spend on an older trailer. And a consideration would be how much it is used.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have the e z system but the weld and steel start to crack.I replace with MORYDE SRE 4000 and it looks that the FW run smoother now.$ 400 and a little work will do it.I was looking for IS but is so expensive.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomthyme wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would head straight to Indiana to MORryde and have this installed and be done with it!

I assume that is the MorRyde independent suspension system with disk brakes. When I spoke with MorRyde, converting to this set up is about $6k installed. We do plan to keep the rig for a few more years, but are questioning the value of a $6k investment. If we can make the rig safe and road worthy for $1500 or $2000, that would be preferred. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish (or unsafe), but $6k is a big number - at least to us.

Please correct me if I am wrong on what the product in the photo is, or if you think we should reconsider.

Thanks

You would be wise to do the MORryde IS system there is nothing out there better. Yes they have disk brakes and each wheel is independently alignable. I am sure if Indiana it too far they can recommend a installer closer to you. Money well spent IMHO as you have a QUALITY RV and it would be worth the extra to have it top cabin.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MWJones wrote:
CUMMINS,
That trailer would NEVER MAKE IT TO INDIANA!!!!!!!
See my earlier post.

Simple to get it road ready. If you want to keep the RV for a while the upgrade I suggest will be well worth it and a selling feature in the future.

Disregard the NegativeNannies!

They can easily repair the frame.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it is even possible for you, but I installed the Dexter EZ-Flex system with wet bolts and couldn't be happier. I doubt it is possible to put it on that trailer without a substantial monetary outlay. FWIW the EZ-Flex system is only a few hundred dollars, but doubtful it is a bolt-on with the Morryde system on there.

IMO the way the Dexter wet bolt kit works is how all trailer suspensions should operate.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would head straight to Indiana to MORryde and have this installed and be done with it!

I assume that is the MorRyde independent suspension system with disk brakes. When I spoke with MorRyde, converting to this set up is about $6k installed. We do plan to keep the rig for a few more years, but are questioning the value of a $6k investment. If we can make the rig safe and road worthy for $1500 or $2000, that would be preferred. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish (or unsafe), but $6k is a big number - at least to us.

Please correct me if I am wrong on what the product in the photo is, or if you think we should reconsider.

Thanks

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
Tomthyme,
Have you notice that the shackle on the left spring has pulled completely out of the shackle bolt !!!!!!!! This is a disaster waiting to happen!!
Take it to a good welding shop and let them fix it. Take the parts and let them install them.

oh yeah! As soon as I saw the shackles in the photo, I had them replaced. The rig is safe for short distances) However, we will be doing many other things to make the rig safe long-term. Thanks!

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
CUMMINS,
That trailer would NEVER MAKE IT TO INDIANA!!!!!!!
See my earlier post.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

So the Morryde system failed, and they should go out and buy a different Morryde system. Nah, I don't think so. Support the company that produced a poor product? Hmmm, let me think about that for a minute.

And it's probably cheaper just to buy a new trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Tomthyme,
Have you notice that the shackle on the left spring has pulled completely out of the shackle bolt !!!!!!!! This is a disaster waiting to happen!!
Take it to a good welding shop and let them fix it. Take the parts and let them install them.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd probably go ahead and change the springs and everything else while they have it up. Things apparently got stressed hard, so I wouldn't trust much.

As mentioned, it might be a good idea to stop by a scale to rule out being over weight rather than just age and wear.

PS: Saving grace may have been that that area is mostly under compression on the bottom side. If it was under tension, it likely would have split all the way thru.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV