cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at first Fifth Wheel

Al_H
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, not new to RV'ing but seriously looking at buying a fifth wheel for winter trips south and camping in summer months. I realize that bigger is better but have heard that if you get over a certain lenght it can be tough finding sites when traveling? Is it 33 feet or more? also what about generators, it looks like most fifth wheel trailers don't have them? Also any other tips for a newbie?
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 37'FW and have never had any problem finding a spot in most campgrounds. Here in CA you better have reservations first anyway and you can pick a site that your rig will fit in. FW are kind of high so I sometimes have issues with low hanging branches in some of the state parks.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Our Grand Design 303RLS is 33 feet long. It's a rear living floor plan with an island in the kitchen and opposing slides. Lots of room for three people. Full size queen bed and a porcelain toilet to boot. Two recliners directly face the TV and come with heat and massage.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Buck_and_Doe
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is 31' and 1 living area slide which has dinette and sofa bed. We have rear kitchen which I love.I prefer like a split bath but hard to find that with newer campers.Bedroom area does not have enough closet space and a slide would be nice in that area. Center entry. We have done many long and many short trips. Generator should be big enough to run AC. Have been thru storms in south where it is handy to have with power outages as long as 4 days. I would not want to be without one We love boon docking.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am real happy with my 36.5 foot trailer. I think at 36 feet you can find floor plans that don't feel as though you are compromising a whole lot of interior room. The model number of the trailer doesn't mean much though.... some models with a 34 or 33 as a model number end up being 37 or 39 feet long.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
We don't tend to stay in one place more than 1-2 nights, so short is better for us.

We value mobility since we are coming from having owned several different truck campers.

So when we recently bought our first 5th, we went as short as possible with a 25RKS which is just under 28' actual length. Just a kitchen, dinette and a couch in the rear.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Al H wrote:
Hi Everyone, not new to RV'ing but seriously looking at buying a fifth wheel for winter trips south and camping in summer months. I realize that bigger is better but have heard that if you get over a certain lenght it can be tough finding sites when traveling? Is it 33 feet or more? also what about generators, it looks like most fifth wheel trailers don't have them? Also any other tips for a newbie?
Thanks

Our 37 foot cedar creek presents problems when making turns and when backing into a site. We would like to move into a 33 or 34 foot 5th wheel.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought used a year ago and got a 34 foot Cedar. One priority for me that It seems To not be important to manufactures these days is to have the entrance fully covered by awning. My kids bought a new one and made this mistake. Their awning ends a foot past the door and when it rains....and it will...steps carpet are all wet.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Al H wrote:
Thanks for the input so far, I thought I would need a 1 ton diesel truck and may limit the length to 33' so maybe a 3/4 ton would be enough? also we had a 31' class A for 8 years and found ourselves using the generator quite a bit when traveling to make coffee and run the ac

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time on a 2500 when I was shopping in '04, and gone for a SRW 3500. Even though my old Komfort had a GVW of 11,360 and I don't think I ever even got close to 11k, it loaded nose-heavy, and sat my D'max right down on the overloads, hard. Made for a rough ride, even if I din't really sag all that much. A 1t would have given me more leeway and, probably, a bit better ride.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a 2019 38' Cedar Creek, even though we liked the 41' version slightly more (layouts are nearly identical). We were concerned with that extra 3 feet when getting into and around places....including parking in our driveway. The 38' is almost 4' longer than our current 5ver....so we are going reasonably longer in the first place.

We've been to a few c/g spots that 38' would have been a problem, not to say the c/g didn't have a longer spot available.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bigger is only better if you need bigger.

If you are comfortable in a 28' trailer and have everything you need, bigger is worse... (depending on how much to go bigger) it may require:
- A bigger truck.
- Burns more fuel
- Costs more to buy and keep up.
- May not fit in some campgrounds

Of course for some that's not big enough to be comfortable and have everything you need.

For some a popup is plenty and for others they will struggle with a 40' 5er.

What are you planning to use it for and what are your expectations?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 39' RV with a built in genset. Built in gensets are all about convenience. My rig is fully self contained at all times. I can have full electric with just the press of a button. Nothing to haul, nothing to set up, no gas can to deal with, no genset theft security issues.
In general I have no issues finding a site, however there will always be more sites available if you have a shorter unit. Nevertheless I prefer the space and amenities that my longer unit provides.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 35ft Hitchhiker fulltimed in it for 7 1/2 years only once were we unable to get a site at the park we wanted. They had one site left and it was only 30 ft. Drove on down the road a bit and found a nicer park with an available site. When looking for our present 5er our only concern was keeping it under 40ft found one we liked at 37ft.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Rarely do I have any issues with the length, mine is 41'.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My experience has been that anything over about 24~26' means that sometimes a site will not be available.
I'm in that position now.