cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently sold out Jayco Eagle 345BHS. Weโ€™ve been happy with it but have decided a toy hauler would be better for hauling bicycles and kayaks.

We have looked at lots of trailers that are mostly had hard lives. We have looked at two in the last week that are 2015-2014 XLRs that the floors are completely rotten out. Are there certain brands that last better to be in the used market? Our 2007 was in far better shape then any of the ones weโ€™ve seen and the prices they are asking for these trailers are a premium.

We are a little discouraged that we have sold our nice camper now. Looking for some insight into this buying decision. Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seagull843 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
One issue I have noticed is the failure to maintain their units. There isn't any trip that I haven't returned with a list of items to check and repair. On my 2015 Work and Play the bracket holding the water tank broke, the thermostat needs help , The fridge cover came loose. As I mentioned, working with a sturdy frame and body comes first for me, the appliances are all throw-away, made a cheap as possible items. Fun costs money. Im having fun, even having fun making repairs and showing pride in ownership. Heck, I hand waxed and compounded the whole rig.

Which Work and Play do you have? We have the 2015 21UL and looking to upgrade but the newer ones don't seem to be built like a cargo trailer anymore. We have been extremely happy with the 21UL and have had no issues other than the small things like replacing the brake lights and the electric tongue jack.

Even though the build quality of the older Work and Plays weren't stellar, they were better than a lot of other models and DEFINITELY seem to be better than the current generation.

I have the 25 ULA. I will stick with this one, newer units don't impress me at all.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
I have crunched the numbers on just about every Toy Hauler out there and unless youโ€™re stepping up to an ATC or Sundowner the rest suck for GVWR. Might not be a problem if all youโ€™re hauling is bicycles and kayaks.

I have decided for me anyway the best approach is an older Carson Fun Runner in the 25โ€™ range. That gives you a front bedroom and decent garage area. These can be bought for $7K-$15K in the 20 to 26 foot range around year models 2005 to 2012. Lot of guys use then in the desert to haul sand rails.

I would buy something like this and remodel the inside and use it until I was done with it than dispose of it for whatever the market would bare. Iโ€™m not dumping $50K into something to just camp in.

The Carsonโ€™s Fun Runners seem to be mostly located on the west coast so some travel to fine one will be required.

Dennis

This is exactly what we did. Initially we bought a brand new 2015 Sand Sport 18' and enjoyed it for 4 years but it just felt cheap and I was always working on it. Blocks under the shower floor, cheap rv electrical outlets pulling out of walls, no strut rods on the Up opening cabinets, horribly designed shower where the walls do not over lap the pan requiring caulking replacement or maintenance every time you used it. The list goes on and on.

We ended up selling it and buying a 2005 Forest River Sierra 30'Toy Hauler. While it too requires maintenance it is much better built and feels like it will actually last. I dont mind working on this one or the one we had before it just now it doesn't feel like we wasted a bunch of money. It also matches my truck better because its 28 years old too ๐Ÿ˜‰
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Seagull843
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
One issue I have noticed is the failure to maintain their units. There isn't any trip that I haven't returned with a list of items to check and repair. On my 2015 Work and Play the bracket holding the water tank broke, the thermostat needs help , The fridge cover came loose. As I mentioned, working with a sturdy frame and body comes first for me, the appliances are all throw-away, made a cheap as possible items. Fun costs money. Im having fun, even having fun making repairs and showing pride in ownership. Heck, I hand waxed and compounded the whole rig.

Which Work and Play do you have? We have the 2015 21UL and looking to upgrade but the newer ones don't seem to be built like a cargo trailer anymore. We have been extremely happy with the 21UL and have had no issues other than the small things like replacing the brake lights and the electric tongue jack.

Even though the build quality of the older Work and Plays weren't stellar, they were better than a lot of other models and DEFINITELY seem to be better than the current generation.

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
I have crunched the numbers on just about every Toy Hauler out there and unless youโ€™re stepping up to an ATC or Sundowner the rest suck for GVWR. Might not be a problem if all youโ€™re hauling is bicycles and kayaks.

I have decided for me anyway the best approach is an older Carson Fun Runner in the 25โ€™ range. That gives you a front bedroom and decent garage area. These can be bought for $7K-$15K in the 20 to 26 foot range around year models 2005 to 2012. Lot of guys use then in the desert to haul sand rails.

I would buy something like this and remodel the inside and use it until I was done with it than dispose of it for whatever the market would bare. Iโ€™m not dumping $50K into something to just camp in.

The Carsonโ€™s Fun Runners seem to be mostly located on the west coast so some travel to fine one will be required.

Dennis

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Your budget will determine what kind you can get unfortunately. The ATC's are all $50,000 plus. Outdoors RV and Northwood are quite pricey as well. I wish Livin Lite hadn't gone out of business.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
On our 4th year running the Midwest to the west coast in our ATC 28 front bedroom. It's a brutal 4 to 5 month journey. Well over 13k miles annually.
It's a joy. No surprises. It just take the abuse with no complaints. Basic maintenance on axles. New tires. Roof vents all have had issue I fixed.
Running a gen Y torsion hitch.
It's a gem to drive, heavy hitch weight and spread axle independent torsion susp. She never sways.
If you can find a used one get it.No wood. Anywhere. We installed foam tile flooring throughout entire coach. Much better in cooler weather.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think right now in general is a rough time to try to buy a camper, new or used. I always peruse the Facebook Marketplace as I've always wanted a little fixer upper travel trailer, and the prices people are asking right now are crazy. 7 grand for a 1969 travel trailer that still needs work? 6 grand for a 15 year old pop up? A neighbor of mine is asking $52,000 for their 2016 Impact. I suggested 40-45 when she asked me my opinion (our Impact toy hauler that we recently traded in was a 2017 and we got 50 for it as a trade, right before the Covid wave hit).

I agree though that the issues you are seeing are mostly due to poor maintenance. Our old one was in perfect shape except for some oxidation issues on the outside from sitting in the sun... easy fix. Just have to keep looking I think.

ATC's are really nice, some friends have one on order. But when she told me what they're paying for it, I nearly choked.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hardline wrote:
Are there certain brands that last better to be in the used market?

Yes, Outdoors RV: https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/trail-series/
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

KIDZBOX
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance by the owner is key. We have a 2005 Keystone raptor and I guarantee we've pretty much put as many dollars into for maintenance as we originally paid for it. In the past month we've replaced all tires (7. Replaced fuel station, fixed breaks, re packed axles and a bunch of other stuff that has put us a more than $5k If you find an older TH that has had no maint then walk, no run away......
2005 Raptor 3512 FW TH

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I felt the same way about the poor quality in TH. In 2006 I purchased a 32ft. gooseneck Wells Cargo and installed 12 feet of living quarters in it. It was a fun project but not one i would take on again. That trailer was sweet, hauled my Jeep inside 70 gallons of water and towed like a dream. I sold it for A class C.
Just sold my Class C and went back to a toy hauler. I found a Work and Play here in Ca. Not a common unit . They are cargo trailers that they install living quarters in, built like a tank, very nose heavy. A 2015 with minor issues but the trailer is built well. All Rv's have the basic appliances, they fail you toss them, NBD. My concern is the trailer itself. Good frame, solid walls and aluminum roof.
I personally prefer the fiberglass one piece walls. Easy to maintain.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
carringb wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

That said, toy haulers get a premium that I really don't understand. There really isn't a construction reason for them being so much higher price.

The floors are build completely different, plus bigger tanks, heavier frame, ramp door etc. And the biggest difference seems to be the generator and on board fuel station. If you skip those two options, the prices aren't much more than a similar-sized premium travel trailer.

Go price up used ones...even without generator or fuel station, the toy hauler asking prices seem to be 20-40% higher.

For similar size, construction doesn't seem substantially heavier duty and a ramp door isn't that expensive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

That said, toy haulers get a premium that I really don't understand. There really isn't a construction reason for them being so much higher price.

The floors are build completely different, plus bigger tanks, heavier frame, ramp door etc. And the biggest difference seems to be the generator and on board fuel station. If you skip those two options, the prices aren't much more than a similar-sized premium travel trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There's a few good brands. ATC would be by first choice as well, except it's not a 4-season trailer.

Dessert Fox (made by Northwoods / Arctic Fox) are well built units. Their sister company Outdoors RV has a new line called the Trail https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/trail-series/

For used units, I'm not sure I'd consider anything other than ATC, Dessert Fox, and possibly Eclipse. I'd definitely avoid anything Thor (which now includes Jayco) or Forest River (including Coachmen).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST