cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Advice!

dustyniel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I am new here and planning to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler in the near future. It will be my primary residence for the next 5-10 years, looking at 30-36 length. Asking for any advice / tips on what to look for prior to purchase to avoid buyers remorse.Thing I already know I want: 50 AMP service, dual Slide outs, Dual A/C, Separate garage area w/patio door separating space, queen size bed w/nightstands, full size fridge, entertainment center area, tub/ shower area- NOT a corner unit, pass through storage underneath, outdoor cooking/ entertainment area. Planning on a 3/4ton truck to pull trailer with motorcycle inside. Helpful advice / suggestions are welcome. Thank you
14 REPLIES 14

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
TH and outdoor kitchen, not sure I have ever seen that. Outdoor kitchens seem common with families with children. With a TH you should have room to carry items for outdoor cooking.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

A 3/4 Ton truck will not work for the 5th wheel you are looking for. I have a 31 foot 5th wheel that I tow with a 3/4 Ton diesel truck. If I go any bigger I will need a 1 Ton diesel truck.

As was stated find the 5th wheel you want and then buy the truck to fit it. If you absolutely need the truck first, do not buy a 3/4 ton truck. You will have buyers remorse on the truck.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The way we shopped was to put down a list of must haves, and start shopping from that. Then you'll find some things you really like or want, so you add those to a second list. Should be narrowed down enough by then to be efficient shopping. Once you settle on a unit, then choose a truck.

Your must haves sound like:

1. Toy Hauler
2. Bathtub
3. Outdoor Kitchen
4. Full Size Refrigerator
5. 50A service

The second AC can be added, and many units come pre-wired, so that wouldn't be a must-have. Queen bed is virtually automatic in a rig that meets the other things.

Your must-have list will greatly restrict the units you are interested in because they are all space eaters. My guess is that they will drive you up in length more toward a 37ft or longer rig. The bathtub alone might drive you into a massive rig, so if there is one thing you can give up, that would be it.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my third toyhauler. The first was a 27 foot Weekend Warrior bumper pull, had that about three years. Moved up to a 35 foot Cyclone 5th wheel, had that about three years and was disappointed with the build quality of the unit and the attitude of the manufacturer (Heartland). Replaced the Cyclone with a Voltage 3200 in 2011. Still have that trailer. It has been towed over 30,000 miles. I have a 2015 GMC 3500 crew cab dually which replaced a 2003 Silvarado 2500 HD, both diesels. Given the requirements you described I don't think you will find a toyhauler shorter than 35 -36 feet long, and will probably need to look at 38 foot and longer 5th wheels. You will need a 1 ton truck, and probably a dually. Trailers are almost always heavier than the literature and the salespeople will tell you. I have found that putting toys in the garage will only reduce pin weight by 200 to 300 pounds, given the geometry of a 5th wheel toyhauler.

Make sure that the trailer has adequate tires, axles and brakes for the projected load and plan on spending a lot of time performing upkeep and maintenance.

Another factor to consider is how will you use the trailer, mostly in developed RV parks, or dry camping.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Last advice...don't believe the salesman.

Excellent advice..

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning on a 3/4ton truck to pull trailer with motorcycle inside.

Start with a one ton truck, a dually diesel would not be overkill in your situation.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Chris, I'll toss my hat in the ring and also recommend a 1T SRW =AT MINIMUM=. Toy haulers tend to be a lot more nose-heavy than "standard" FWs due to the fact that the people who buy them like to actually put stuff in the garage, which counter balances the pin. I've never seen numbers, or even looked at THs since I have no interest in them, but I'd be willing to bet that the pin weight of the average TH is probably 25%, at minimum, when empty. With FWs it's not how much you can tow, it's how much you can =carry=, i.e. payload, that's the true deciding factor in which truck you should have. I know I made a mistake in buying my '02 D'max even with an 11,360 GVW FW. That unit gave my truck all it could handle, plus about 500 lbs over, even though it only had a 16% empty pin weight. If you're stuck on a 3/4t, then look at bumper pulls instead.

In general, with any FW, decide on the FW =first=, then get a truck to match it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Decide on the TV after you purchase or select the 5er. Cart first, then horse. Iโ€™ll wager a one ton will be more appropriate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you really must have the garage, skip the toy hauler idea. There are really nice used fivers on the market, but all your asking about are going to be BIG and HEAVY. Meaning you likely will wind up with a dually. Pick your trailer first then find a truck suitable to tow and yes, carry the pin weight.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Good comments from all above. Iโ€™ll reinforce a couple items. Plan on a 1T SRW instead of a 3/4T. Donโ€™t buy the truck until you know which 5er youโ€™ll get, you may need a dually. Sounds like your list is bigger than youโ€™ll find in that short of a toyhauler. Youโ€™ll also get a much better quality unit buying a few years old for the same price as youโ€™d get buying a cheaper one new.
Good luck with your search.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have more questions than answers.
Is it just you alone?
Do you already have the 3/4 ton truck?
Will you be on the road a lot, or staying at one place for several months before going somewhere else?

I've never had a toyhauler, but had 2 truck campers, a motorhome and two 5th wheels. I've never noticed a toyhauler as short as 30ft. My perception is they start at about 36 ft. I would look at used ones. New RV's have incredible depreciation. You should be able to find a very nice used "upper end" one for the same price as a junky new one. All Rv's are junk. Some just worse than others. Forget the 3/4 ton truck. You will likely need a 1 ton dually.
Last advice...don't believe the salesman.

Look around the internet to get an idea on prices:
pplmotorhomes.com
rvt.com
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would start at the ground and work upward to the pretty stuff you mentioned. Tires, brakes, axles, springs, frame design, floor materials, and then the soundness of the box itself. The RV manufactures know that they can cut corners by installing the cheapest parts because many just look at the bling.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy a good used one,there out there,just look. plan this out , and you,ll find a very nice rv.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think a 3/4 ton truck has any advantage over a 1 ton single rear wheel .... both are the same price but the 3/4 ton is not designed With rear springs to carry any more weight than a 1/2 ton. After choosing the 5ver you'll know if you need a 1 ton srw or 1 ton dually. How much of your money can we spend?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5