cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low cargo carrying capacity rant

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Went to our local RV show last night in Grand Rapids and one that caught my eye was a new floor plan from Grand Design - 390 RK Solitude. This is one of those with the huge basement under the raised rear of the trailer with a large roll out tray that are becoming popular, massive amounts of storage between front and rear basements. Went on their website this morning for specs and based on the published dry weight(14,562) and GVWR (16,800) you barely have 2200# left over for cargo (some other models had less than 2K). By the time you add batteries/propane/solar if wanted/washer & dryer if wanted/water if you travel with it, etc, there is not much left. Short of carrying inflatable toys in the basements I'm not sure what you could do with so much storage. Kind of a shame they have such massive amounts of storage and not enough capacity. My 9,000# dry weight Wildcat has nearly #2900 CCC and according to the cat scale I have about #1700 of "stuff" in that little thing ready to travel and that's without water.

Maybe I'm missing something, rant over

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
23 REPLIES 23

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
That’s fine, Terry, but in the West you’ll need to pass up some really beautiful dry campgrounds if your fresh water tank is empty. Camp restrooms are usually ok...my TT’s shower, potty and sink is close, never has a waiting line, no one rushes me and it’s always clean.

but I'm lazy. I don't want to go to the dump station. I'd just as soon use the CG facilities. My fresh water tank hasn't had water in it since I bought the TT 7 years ago.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Our Big Country weighs in at 14,000 empty and max GVW of 16,000. Fully loaded for a week of camping (DW,DS, dog & cat), "stuff" everywhere, RV comes in at 15, 980!. Compared to our '06 Silverback, we have less CCC w/ the BC than Silver (3k). To this day, we still have stuff in garage and shed that we had Silver that we do not take w/ us in the BC. Probly could still purge stuff from the BC.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ Exactly, I know I am repeating myself here but if you look at units like these you need to ask who the target consumer is here. This is a ideal unit for someone who full times or spends a lot of time on the road and the Solitudes are full time rated. This unit I was referring to has only #2200 capacity and that is BEFORE batteries/propane/ and any other accessories you may add after the factory such as a washer and dryer (why else put hook ups on them otherwise?) etc. I know from reading these forums that a lot of you love to boondock now imagine adding a battery bank (better go lithium here)/solar/ and the nearly 100 gallons of water this thing can hold and you are realistically on the edge if not overweight before you even put one personal item in this thing. No matter how you try to slice it, it comes up drastically short.

4 years ago when we went shopping for our current fifth we looked at the Reflections line and at that time anyway they were short on CCC which was one of the reasons we crossed them off the list. My current #9060 (sticker)little Wildcat has more CCC than this beast I've been referring too, just doesn't make sense. Fortunately I have plenty of CCC on our fifth for how we use it today for week long trips and weekends.

Can you imagine shopping for a truck and you come across a dually (pick your brand) with #5000 payload capacity and build like a tank ideal for pulling your 16K rig but it only came with a anemic 80's era 140HP V6 in it? Maybe a bad analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make.

I would gladly pay an extra $5k for them to ditch the 7K axles or make it a triple and strengthen the frame if needed to add a couple thousand pound of capacity to this thing, after all if your spending 70-80 K on a rig like this whats another 5k? I wonder how many people who are dreaming of full timing even pay attention to this.

Off my soapbox again:)

Dan

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
It's camping, not glamping. Leave the house at home.

For some people it is their home. Some people also travel long distances for long periods. Not everyone camps in their backyard like you claim most of your camping is.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
PS...It was TACY (Lucille Ball) that loaded up the long, long trailer. She married NICKY (Desi Arnez).
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That’s fine, Terry, but in the West you’ll need to pass up some really beautiful dry campgrounds if your fresh water tank is empty. Camp restrooms are usually ok...my TT’s shower, potty and sink is close, never has a waiting line, no one rushes me and it’s always clean.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Terry, 760 pounds, a third of the available cargo limit, will be taken by 93 gallons of fresh water! Add propane and batteries...

I don't carry fresh water. When we go to a CG with out hookups. I have a large jug that I fill with water and set on the picnic table. Usually lasts a day and a half, and we use the CG restrooms. In this part of the country. there isn't a whole lot of places where you can just pull out and camp. All the NPs have water stations in the CGs. I'm sure it is different where there are places that have dispersed camping.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with OP. It's not about debating whether or not my wife packs a few too many pots and pans. The fact that it's even a discussion is ridiculous when buying a 50K trailer. I'd like a margin of safety (beyond what is probably already baked in).

My 5th has a GVWR of 12,000# with 5000# axles - 2580# to each tire. That assumes EXACTLY 20% to the pin and some really even distribution of remaining weight. Dry weight is supposed to be 9000# but that must have been before they put furniture and appliances in. I never weighed it empty but with a pretty basic amount of stuff it's 10,500#. Once there's some water and food it's more like 11,500#. It's just cutting it way too close.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hammerboy wrote:
Funny part is the units without the large rear storage have about 1,000# more CCC capacity :? I guess all that extra material needed to make the extra storage ate into it lol.

Dan

I used to be by the time you got in to the 14-16k range, they did tripple axles.

Now there seems to be a push to limit it to twin axles, so you lose a third of the capacity assuming the same axles.

Honestly, though 2000-2500lb CCC is enough for 98% of buyers. Doesn't make sense to jack up the price to support the 2% of buyers and scare off the 98%.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
honestly. Unless you are full timing. I can't imagine loading more than 1000lbs in to a camper. Unless you are married to Lucy and she has been collecting rocks again.

In truth. My camper gets lighter every year. Don't use it, don't take it.

We don't full time and have around 1500+ in our 31' TT. We have 4 6V GC batteries, 4 100W solar panels, bikes and most every nook and cranny has something in it. We had about the same in our 5th wheel. Nothing we take doesn't get used at some point in the year.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
honestly. Unless you are full timing. I can't imagine loading more than 1000lbs in to a camper. Unless you are married to Lucy and she has been collecting rocks again.

The thing is Solitude's are full time rated units and many people use them for that. This is not a weekend warrior fifth wheel but ideal for full timing/extended stay with the cargo capacity (volume) and layout. It just comes up drastically short in one key area.

Dan

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, our 32’ Copper Canyon has 2,106# of payload with a full fresh water tank, and full propane! Those are already deducted.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry, 760 pounds, a third of the available cargo limit, will be taken by 93 gallons of fresh water! Add propane and batteries...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers