cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Meguiar' boat wax

milkman41
Explorer
Explorer
Some time ago there was a post on this forum regarding products to wax your 5er. Among them was meguiar's boat wax. Decided to try it, went to Amazon and there are a multitude of boat/RV products from this Co. Any specific product recommended by a user on this forum.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
3M Scrubbies, Bar Keepers Friend, followed by Red Max Pro, it's magic. Once every few years.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
On my (then ) 10 year old unit I tried the #50 cleaner wax. it was good but still had oxidation and a lot of work to get to that point.
Did another pass after scrubbing the fiberglass with barkeepers friend.
Big rinse and then the pass with the 50 for final and it looked like new.

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I had my front cap painted in January after having the dreaded gelcoat deterioration after just 2 years. This last week I applied Meguiars Ultimate Wax to the cap and it looks like a mirror!!!
This is great stuff and I highly recommend it.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43, be aware that there is a Flagship cleaner wax & a Flagship pure wax. Different products. A supplier that carries one may not carry the other as well.

There are loads of brands of cleaner waxes out there. Not so many pure waxes/protectants.

Personal preference here is to use 3M marine fiberglass cleaner wax first on lightly chalked areas followed by the Meguires Flagship wax. Have tried the Mrguires cleaner wax too but find the 3M product a little more aggressive & easier to remove stains & chalking.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I bought me some of this stuff today at Oreilly auto parts

and then I bought me one of these at Menards

Did a little test patch that took about 5 minutes and very little effort. I was shocked at the results. I was getting a really dull finish on the trailer but it wasnt bad enough that my hands would turn white when I rubbed the side.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
big bird 2 wrote:
I wash, apply #50 and follow up with RV Marine dark marine paste wax. I apply the paste 3 times a year and the #50 5 or 6 times a year. I will also use detailer as needed.

I use on BMW, F250 and 40 ft. Cardinal full body paint.

Sometimes I get a little sleep too.

WOW! And I thought I was obsessive about wanting my equipment looking the best. Good job. :B
Also, I have been looking at Meguiars Flagship Premium cleaner/wax. Additional ingredients and protection per Meguiars. Found some on Amazon at a good price so that is on my spring prep list.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends. Depends on the condition of the gelcoat. If it is lightly oxidised use the cleaner wax followed by the Flagship wax in the black bottle.

Flagship will not remove oxidation or other stains & dirt. It is a pure wax & will outlast any multi purpose cleaner wax.

For me Flagship is a once a year application on the sides & rear cap. 9 years & still looking real good. Been using Flagship on my saltwater kept boats for many years.

The trick is using the proper product for the job. A multipurpose cleaner wax will give a satisfying result but it won't last long. A pure wax might smudge stains & marks around but it won't remove them like a cleaner wax will.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Rv/marine in the blue bottle
Also look at Colinite Fleetwax

RV Marine in blue bottle has been my 1st choice for years:)

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I wash, apply #50 and follow up with RV Marine dark marine paste wax. I apply the paste 3 times a year and the #50 5 or 6 times a year. I will also use detailer as needed.

I use on BMW, F250 and 40 ft. Cardinal full body paint.

Sometimes I get a little sleep too.
Big Bird 2

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
milkman41 wrote:
Some time ago there was a post on this forum regarding products to wax your 5er. Among them was meguiar's boat wax. Decided to try it, went to Amazon and there are a multitude of boat/RV products from this Co. Any specific product recommended by a user on this forum.

Thanks.

Meguiars #50 cleaner wax is a product many here, including me use and like. It is formulated for fiberglass.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I always use Shurhold that I buy on Amazon for about $90 a gallon......Use it on truck, car and MH!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Rv/marine in the blue bottle
Also look at Colinite Fleetwax