cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mold in wall board in Forst River Blue Ridge UPDATE

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem? I`m just trying to help my son find some info or ideas how to repair it.

My son has a 3 yr old Forest River Blue Ridge 5th wheel and as he was getting ready to go camping last week noticed pimple like bumps all through the camper wall, He opened a few and found a black mold that after further looking apears to be in the actual wood board that`s under the wall paper (as in contaminated board during construction) He takes excellent care of his equipment, no leakes or water damage prior. so he doesn`t know where it came from. He is now going to have to do repairs on it himself as insurance won`t cover it.
2020 Grand Design Momentum 395M
Sterling Blue Merle Aussie RIP
Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Keira Red Merle Mini Aussie
Cassie(Himalayan Mix)3/1/09-10/26/18
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix
20 REPLIES 20

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
Glad to hear that Forest River is stepping up to fix their problem, the Cedar Creek plant also does this and is getting really good repeat business, to bad they can not get things right the first time but at least they stand behind it.
Make sure you update us when the unit is returned, many happy camping trips for your son & family.

Will definately update when he gets it back. Pick up is in January & they estimate March/April to be completed
Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to hear this story has a happy ending! Too bad that guy with the "Beware of Keystone products" can't get Keystone to do something similar. That's huge PR that will go a long way for Forest River.

Dan

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that Forest River is stepping up to fix their problem, the Cedar Creek plant also does this and is getting really good repeat business, to bad they can not get things right the first time but at least they stand behind it.
Make sure you update us when the unit is returned, many happy camping trips for your son & family.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Interesting that when you son first called he was blown off. Only after getting information from the Cardinal owners web site did FR then step up and admit his trailer was defective. Seems to me that when he called the first time, they could of run his VIN and known then and there that his trailer was part of a recall.

I asked my son and it was the dealer he called first & they told him they didn`t know of any issues & that he was out of warranty.

When he called the factory as suggested by members of the Cardinal forum the factory did get right back to him the next morning and had him take pics & send vin# and called him shortly after receiving the pics & told him his camper came from the plant that had the problems and they will take it in for repairs. So far he is happy with their customer service & hopes to have his camper back for next springs camping season.
Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that when you son first called he was blown off. Only after getting information from the Cardinal owners web site did FR then step up and admit his trailer was defective. Seems to me that when he called the first time, they could of run his VIN and known then and there that his trailer was part of a recall.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Silver0216 wrote:
Just wanted to give an update.

First Thank you to `Me Again` for the Cardinalownersrvclub link. It was a Great help. My son had joined that forum when he first bought it but hadn`t posted in it.

Turns out there was a problem with that year camper made in one of plants. A Forest River Rep. called my son the next day & took the vin number and his Blue Ridge was one of the ones affected with I believe he said improperly sealed wall board. He sent additional pics and close ups of the walls. The same day he got his repair contract and the factory will have a transporter pick it up in January for repair or possibly replacement. Even though he was out of warranty it`s nice to see a company step up and do the right thing.

It is good to see FR step up (I really like them as a brand- many times they'll do right by the customer), but if this is a known issue- why in the heck wouldn't they issue a recall?

'Cause that means that they publicly have to admit that they FUBAR'd something, which they only do kicking and screaming.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Silver0216 wrote:

First Thank you to `Me Again` for the Cardinalownersrvclub link. It was a Great help. My son had joined that forum when he first bought it but hadn`t posted in it.

Turns out there was a problem with that year camper made in one of plants. A Forest River Rep. called my son the next day & took the vin number and his Blue Ridge was one of the ones affected with I believe he said improperly sealed wall board. He sent additional pics and close ups of the walls. The same day he got his repair contract and the factory will have a transporter pick it up in January for repair or possibly replacement. Even though he was out of warranty it`s nice to see a company step up and do the right thing.

It is good to see FR step up (I really like them as a brand- many times they'll do right by the customer), but if this is a known issue- why in the heck wouldn't they issue a recall?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, so nice to hear something good about FR. Thanks.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer

Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
It's a shame he just missed the forest river FROG factory rally in August. Anybody who camps at that really gets. Hip to give repairs (and often times more) free. A friend has a 2006 cedar creek with a leak in the basement, they replaced the whole section for him. many sidewalls were replaced there too. Lots of work done yo mine but I'm still under warranty.

Unfortunately as stated above, you are SOL here as mold comes from moisture. If that area was moist with mold it is still getting wet. Best way to look for a leak is with soapy water. Look for large bubbles. frequently the source is a marker light or a miniscule crack in the caulking. Forest river is probably saying two things.... 1st you are out of warranty. 2nd, they will likely find some way to blame maintenance. That said, if the leak is from the roof and you can prove adequate maintenance then you might be able to force the issue as the roof has a longer warranty IIRC. Good luck.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get ahold of Forest River. They may address the issue, as a trailer that new should not leak. Also have him join the Cardinal Club, they have pipelines into support. WWW.Cardinalrvclub.org

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Either that or you just noticed pimples that were there from day 1(or shortly thereafter).

Exact words my dealer told me when taking it to him during warranty!
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Silver0216
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses. The dealership was in a pretty good rush to give him a good deal on it and get it off the lot so personally I wouldn`t be surprised if they knew there was a problem or it did havea leak before he bought it that they may have fixed and they wanted to unload it before it showed up. either way he`s going to get stuck paying for it
Cassie HimmyX RIP
Indy Red Merle Aussie
Jewel(Torti
Saber Blk DSH
Salem RIP
KitKat Orange tiger
Crystal Himmy/Ragdoll
Boots Tabby mix

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Mold requires moisture to grow. No water (moisture), no mold. All I'm saying is, some where, some how, water is getting in. And as you described it 'all throughout the camper", and "behind the pimples" rather than on the surface.

My opinion, You got a leak! The adjuster is wrong or just didn't want to level with you. Either that or you just noticed pimples that were there from day 1(or shortly thereafter).

The "contaminated board during construction" argument is pretty weak. I'd bet dollars to donuts you got a leak.