cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Momentum 395 Hot Weather Question

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
OK got a question for anyone who has a 40 plus foot toy haulers and specifically the Grand Designs Momentum 395 and uses them in extremely hot climates. I work and stay for long periods in West Tx. I currently stay in a travel trailer but really want to upgrade(and got approval from the wife). Want one of these to use all of it as living space. My main concern is how they perform this function in the hot climate. I understand that only 2 ac's can be on at a time but is the insulation up to this. Any help will always be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
sc1camping wrote:
I have a GD Momentum and run all 3 ACs at the same time. If all 3 were running and you added additional load by turning on the microwave or something automatic such as hot water heater, fridge, battery charger it is possible the load management system could shut off one or more ACs.
Most of these issue can be avoided by running fridge and water heater on gas only in very hot weather.
You will need all 3 ACs running hard in the South when temps go 90 plus with high humidity. This is only in late afternoon with direct sunlight.

X2'. Done this many times in Fla year around. Energy management system works great.
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GD Momentum and run all 3 ACs at the same time. If all 3 were running and you added additional load by turning on the microwave or something automatic such as hot water heater, fridge, battery charger it is possible the load management system could shut off one or more ACs.
Most of these issue can be avoided by running fridge and water heater on gas only in very hot weather.
You will need all 3 ACs running hard in the South when temps go 90 plus with high humidity. This is only in late afternoon with direct sunlight.

cmseabee
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the 395M at the Pomona RV show. The manufacture rep said there is a load management system like jdmac1 stated. Just set the temp on the thermostat and the load management system turns on which AC needs to be on.
14 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Dually, Cummins/Aisin 4.10s
05 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 Cummins/Auto
19 Keystone Fuzion 429
03 Fleetwood Elkhorn 11J
15 Honda Pioneer 700 P4
03 Polaris Predator
01 Yamaha Blaster
97 Yamaha Banshee

US Navy CPO Ret Sep 2013

jdmac1
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the GD floor plan at the RV show, I recall them stating the following. The 2017 model does not run all 3 at the same time. However, they are linked together with a control system. Two will run if temp raises up in cargo area one will shut down and the other will start. They will work together to keep the unit cool.

As a tech geek I liked the new tablet on the wall which replaces the gauges and the RV is setup like a smart house. You can run an app on your smart phone to turn on AC\Fan\Check tanks.
2012 F350 Lariat DRW
20K B&W OEM Hitch
BlueOx Bed Saver
Pace Edwards Heavy Metal Roll top
Line-X Bed spray

2011 Stealth Toy Hauler RG3210
2015 Polaris XP1000 Fox Edition (2 seater)

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
I'm a little confused. Who at Grand Design told you you can't run a three AC units at the same time on the 395M?
Scott Broussard Regional sales

Are you sure they were talking about being hooked up to 50A service?

Nope not sure but have been told the same for the 399 also by dealers

If you are running on the generator, then yes you can only run two at a time. But on 50A power there should be no issues with running all 3.

I agree but in my research it seems to be that most manufacturers are doing this also in there large TH.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little confused. Who at Grand Design told you you can't run a three AC units at the same time on the 395M?

Are you sure they were talking about being hooked up to 50A service?

If you are running on the generator, then yes you can only run two at a time. But on 50A power there should be no issues with running all 3.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the replies. But according to GD you cannot run all 3 at the same time on the 395. This is really worrisome to me, because of the the issues I went through in my current trailer. Which it takes 2 AC's to keep it cool in the heat of the day. That's what has led me to look for feedback from actual users of their products.

arhayes wrote:
We have a GD 380TH which is the same size as the 385. I also can run all 3 AC's on 50 amps. The insulation is adequate in the living area and bedroom, but because of the large windows in the garage and the back ramp, it tends to stay a little warmer. If I was going to spend time in hot climates and use the garage area for living space, I'd probably put the reflective insulation on the windows to reduce some of the heat. With that said, we are in 90 degree days right now in AZ and we are comfortable.

Can you please define what temp. is comfortable for you? I am a day sleeper that likes it as cold as possible. Thanks

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
My Vengeance will run all three. But the one in the bedroom and the one in the garage are the 13,500 btu units so I'm sure that helps keeping it from tripping the breaker.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a GD 380TH which is the same size as the 385. I also can run all 3 AC's on 50 amps. The insulation is adequate in the living area and bedroom, but because of the large windows in the garage and the back ramp, it tends to stay a little warmer. If I was going to spend time in hot climates and use the garage area for living space, I'd probably put the reflective insulation on the windows to reduce some of the heat. With that said, we are in 90 degree days right now in AZ and we are comfortable.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

dedmiston
ramgunner wrote:
Keep in mind that on 50A service you can run all 3 AC units (if it has three) at the same time.

That's interesting. Our unit (different brand) has a toggle switch to swap between the front bedroom and garage ACs, so it's impossible to run them both at the same time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a 2011 Cyclone 370C. Not the most insulated camper but it did "fair". We now have a 2015 Vengeance. Its amazing how much better insulated it is. Maybe its the manufacturer but for the most part, I think its just using better materials these days.

GDs are going to be just as good or better than most. Yes, its going to be hot. They're certainly not a house. But they should be pretty well. If GD offers a particular package for extreme temps, obviously get it. But like ramgunner said, 3 ACs help a ton.

We also take at least one or two fans. Keeping the air moving around makes a nice difference.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We full-time in a Grand Design Momentum 385TH which has a similar design.

Keep in mind that on 50A service you can run all 3 AC units (if it has three) at the same time. That being said, we generally only use all 3 if we are setting up and wanting to rapidly cool things down or when everything was shut off for the day - and it does cool things down fast. We really got the 3rd mostly for backup in case either of the other 2 fail.

They are well insulated, and two do the job just fine for us,
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)