cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montana 294RL for Single person fulltiming

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience with Montana 5th Wheels? I'm looking at the subject model as a first time full time situation for myself. My primary RV Spot will be at my ranch. I plan on possible going south during winter. I'm retired at 47 so I might struggle to meet people my age in this lifestyle im assuming. I'd appreciate any insight any of you all can give me on the Montana. Part of me still thinks im crazy to do this lol. I think I'm gonna love it.
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
9 REPLIES 9

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We just put a deposit down on one. Trading in the toy hauler. It will be our third Keystone product. We joked that if everything goes to hell we could easily live in the Montana... not so much in the current hauler we have.

I think it has a nice livable floor plan with good storage for full timing. That was something that was important to us, coming from a toy hauler that basically has one giant storage room. All the windows are nice too.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Unless your truck is the heavy duty version with rear leaf springs and the 1 ton rear end, that Montana will be a bit over weight."

I think his little truck can handle the load. "2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4" Info was right there in his first post.

Looks like it was "FAKE NEWS" on his un edited first post.

OP haul what you want, I only tow a 24k RV plus another 1k+ when I double tow. It does ok.

If you travel to the PalmSprings, CA area you may have to sort em out but there are plenty of women to choose from.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info! Sorry bad info
I currently have a 2018 ram 3500 duallyso i can pull almost most rvs.
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Good info from JIMNLIN above. You might also ask for opinions on the Montana Owner Club (MOC) forum. Very active Montana only forum with very friendly folks providing lots of experience, information, and help.
The 294RL is a Montana High Country model which is lighter in weight that the regular Montana line, both of which are manufactured by KEYSTONE.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 Montana's a 2004 ,2012 and my current 2015 and yes they have all been good 5er's with just minimal issues and I fulltimed in all three for 8 years starting at age 50(retired early):B towing with 1 Ton Duallies now I am off the fulltime Gig now and went down to a 2500HD Duramax GMC for short trips and by the way the guy who said Heartland makes Montana Keystone and Heartland are both owned by THOR
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Montana 294 RL on Keystones website shows to have a 11035 dry weight with a 3265 ccc = 14300 GVWR trailer. Now load the trailer up for full timing and the trailer may weigh in the 13500 lb range with a 2800-3000 lb hitch load.

Your '05 2500 Dodge/Cummins in your sig won't have any issues pulling that size trailer however with a 6000 rawr that will be carrying all the hitch load plus 200 lbs for the hitch/rails/brkts and other gear in the bed and back of the cab.
I have the same 3rd gen truck in a '03 model 2500 Dodge/Cummins 2wd and tow a 11200 lb 5th wheel trailer. The truck is under all axle/tire load ratings but 180 lbs over its 9000 gvwr.

These model trucks are good for around 3000 lbs payload in the bed.

For that size Montana your looking at upgrading your '05 2500 Dodge/Cummins tires/wheels and rear leaf spring pack which is a common upgrade for these HD size LTDs.
If you plan on keeping and mod the truck the thing to do is buy trailer. Drop by a set of cat scale and get the trucks front and rear axle weights and make mods from there.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keystone makes Montana trailers and 5th wheels.
The 294RL is approx 14K fully loaded, 10.6 empty. Nice unit,
Puma 30RKSS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
krazymatt wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Montana 5th Wheels? I'm looking at the subject model as the first time full-time situation for myself. My primary RV Spot will be at my ranch. I plan on possibly going south during winter. I'm retired at 47 so I might struggle to meet people my age in this lifestyle I'm assuming. I'd appreciate any insight any of you all can give me on Montana. Part of me still thinks I'm crazy to do this lol. I think I'm gonna love it.

Heartland makes the Montana 5th wheel. My experience with Heartland has been positive with my 5th. wheel Big Horn since 2004. Are you going to buy new or used? If used, take the RV to a good Rv shop and have it fully checked out, before you buy it, to make sure there are no mechanical issues and have all systems fully checked to be functional. The $200 cost could save you future headaches. If tires are 5 years old, throw them away and replace them with a good "G" rated 10ply. Don't try to save money on tires. Repack all the bearings. Buy a Road Side Assistance plan. Cheap insurance when you break down and need a tow. I have Good Sam for the last 20 years. There are other plans. Join some local and national RV clubs to meet people and have the opportunity to travel with some other RV people

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless your truck is the heavy duty version with rear leaf springs and the 1 ton rear end, that Montana will be a bit over weight. OK, let the flaming start lol.
The trailer is a nice unit and will be plenty for one person as long as you stay south for the winter. I think that you will find most rvers although older will be a friendly bunch and willing to lend a hand when needed, we all share a love for the open road and new adventures. Who knows? You might meet a lady who is open to some company.;)