cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOR Ryde X Factor Frame Strengthening

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Open Range 374BHS. This unit has the Equaflex equalizers and correct track spring hangers. Within the last 3 years I easily have 10k miles probably closer to 15k miles as the unit just came back from the factor for 2 sidewall replacements. I'm not full timer but do take it out quite regularly from April to Nov, as much as the North East weather allows.

I am looking to add the MorRyde Xfactors to all 3 spring hangers. I would be installing these in conjunction with a MorRyde heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit. Planning on reusing my current equaflex equalizers. I'm also thinking of just using angle iron and welding into place, much cheaper but not removable and probably voids frame warranty. Anyone have issues with self install supports?

These new kits would work if I decided to upgrade to the SRE 4000 later on but I'm not disappointed in the current equaflex so leaving this as is saves me about $400. I have 4 new Saliun tires but they are not currently installed. Has anyone had any issues with the spring hangers after installing the xfactor? I've seen a few failures on the Open Range page so I'm trying to catch this prior one. Brakes and bearings will be addressed during install. Anything else to consider?

14 REPLIES 14

wires
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Voltage toy hauler with two 7k axles. I installed three of the X-Factor braces and an Equaflex immediately after purchasing it new.

I only boondock and many of the locations I frequent have dirt access roads in poor condition. Just about 12k miles on the trailer now and no issues whatsoever with the spring hangers.
2022 Solitude 375RES-R
2021 Ford F450

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
My mistake, they do make the X-Factor for Correct Track hangers.

I'm glad you said something. I knew I had the system but want even thinking about it with the x factor. I did find the correct part number, UO21-015. Thanks

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My mistake, they do make the X-Factor for Correct Track hangers.

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Here ya go, shock kit and trusses that I built:

Looks great! Thanks

lenr wrote:
I installed after-market Correct Track and Equa-Flex on a prior trailer. I never noticed an improvement by the Equa-Flex (from a solid equalizer), and the Correct Track’s extra leverage all but ripped a spring hanger off during panic braking. Next was SRE4000 and riser tubes installed by MORRyde. SRE4000 was night and day difference—great.... Note: when OP gets around to the SRE4000 it will raise the trailer about 1”. For me that helped level the fifth wheel and allow for larger, higher capacity, tires.

Good info, thanks. I have the equa flex and trail air hitch so I feel practically nothing besides the actual pin weight. The ride couldn't improve much from whats translated into the truck. Doesnt mean the sre4000 wont drastically help the trailers ride and lessen frame damages. My trailer has tall headroom in bedroom which translates to a lower hitch height and me towing slightly nose high with only 6" of clearance. The extra inch in height is another benefit I was hoping for.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor, awesome job, two shock angle locations.

Lenr, I'm getting the X-Factor for my center hangers also since the CT is not on them.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

The cracks occurred at each end of two ladder racks between the two I-beams. The lower rail of the ladder racks were above the lower flange of the I-beam to allow the belly pans in the axle area to be on top of the flange and not in the way of the spring hangers. I cut flaps in the metal belly pan to move wiring etc away from the I-beam welding of the cracks, and sealed then up after the frame repair.

I had exactly the same cracks and did the welding similar to what you did. The side to side bracing is still needed to stop the flexing.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed after-market Correct Track and Equa-Flex on a prior trailer. I never noticed an improvement by the Equa-Flex (from a solid equalizer), and the Correct Track’s extra leverage all but ripped a spring hanger off during panic braking. Next was SRE4000 and riser tubes installed by MORRyde. SRE4000 was night and day difference—great! In combination with a MORRyde pin box, the chucking was 98% gone. MORRyde all but insists on the X-Factor on the center pair of hangers. I was impressed enough to install SRE4000 and 3 X-Factors on the next trailer. No problems so far. I went with X-Factor for removability. Note: when OP gets around to the SRE4000 it will raise the trailer about 1”. For me that helped level the fifth wheel and allow for larger, higher capacity, tires.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ Nice job!

I would add that I installed mine after having I-beam cracks in the web of the I-beam in four places. Page one of the Lippert document addresses that repair.

My welding shop disagreed with Lippert and skip welded on plates. I was my suggestion to do the plug weld in the area of the I-beam cracks.

The cracks occurred at each end of two ladder racks between the two I-beams. The lower rail of the ladder racks were above the lower flange of the I-beam to allow the belly pans in the axle area to be on top of the flange and not in the way of the spring hangers. I cut flaps in the metal belly pan to move wiring etc away from the I-beam welding of the cracks, and sealed then up after the frame repair.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
2012Oudoorsman wrote:

You cant go telling me you built your own and not provide some pictures!!

Here ya go, shock kit and trusses that I built:

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I'm not sure that the Xfactor brace will work with Correct Track brackets installed.

I cant tell you how many times I looked at that part brochure and didnt consider it.
All they talk about is equalizer type. I need to investigate this more, may call tmrw.

Lynnmor wrote:
The Correct Track extensions add more stress on the hangers so the cross bracing is needed even more.

I built my own custom cross bracing that is bolted in to allow servicing things in the belly.

I dont have extensions. My spring hangers have the correct trac built into them, they're about the same size and length as traditional ones. My understanding is that they are thinner. The new 2020s dont have them or equaflex. Just standard hanger and dexter ezflex now.

You cant go telling me you built your own and not provide some pictures!!

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Sure ashamed that Lippert cannot build a frame with sufficient bracing in the first place.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The Correct Track extensions add more stress on the hangers so the cross bracing is needed even more.

I built my own custom cross bracing that is bolted in to allow servicing things in the belly.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure that the Xfactor brace will work with Correct Track brackets installed.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had cross tubes installed on our 2005 Cardinal. It towed super after the addition per Lippert's instuctions.

Should not be a warranty issue as Lippert supports the addition. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021