cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More problems from the axle maker?? FYI

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone RV Company (Keystone) is recalling certain 2019 Dutchmen Aerolite and Atlas, Keystone Bullet, Laredo, Cougar, Hideout, Passport and Springdale, and Crossroads Sunset fifth wheels and travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burn out or cause the hub to overheat. If the bearing cup is not installed it could lead to a bearing failure, affecting vehicle handling and increasing the risk of a crash. Keystone will notify owners, and dealers will inspect axles for hub clearance. If the hub clearance is not sufficient, appropriate parts will be provided to correct the defect, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 11, 2018. Owners may contact Keystone customer service at 1-866-425-4369. Keystone’s number for this recall is 18-334.

Note: This was copied from RV Travel section of recalled vehicles.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
15 REPLIES 15

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
Friend bought new hitchhiker. First trip going down I-5 not far from home he was smoking big time. No lube in the never lube axle on one side. So how did it get to Oregon from the factory. All 4 were changed. Chevman

Probably magic. Not having grease is one thing. Not having the inner race is completely different. The entire wheel would be wobbling or leaning in, and the inner edge of the drum would grind against the backing plate. Most likely it would cause the brake assembly to grenade. That would probably happen between the factory door and storage lot.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Friend bought new hitchhiker. First trip going down I-5 not far from home he was smoking big time. No lube in the never lube axle on one side. So how did it get to Oregon from the factory. All 4 were changed. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not only Keystone.

It's for Dexter #11 4.4K axles made and shipped to manufacturers between June and Aug 2018. Before everyone gets panties in knots ask yourself a question? How does a trailer with 4.4K axles get to the dealer. It's not on a flatbed or drop trailer, its pulled by truck. Smaller trailers that get loaded on flats are not going to have 4.4K axles. No trailer missing an inner race is going to complete that trip to the dealer.

Most likely one hub was found by a manufacturer missing a race and they notified Dexter. Dexter then had to notify everyone they shipped that production run of axles to. Those manufacturers then had to issue recalls per fed requirements and as a CYA, as they have no way of telling if there are others no matter how unlikely it would have ever made it to the destination.

Forest River is recalling certain 2019 Coachmen Catalina and Apex travel trailers and Forest River Shasta, Wildwood, Salem, Vibe, Sierra, Sandpiper, XLR and Prime Time travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in October. For customer service, Catalina owners may contact Coachmen at 1-574-825-8657, Apex owners should call 1-574-358-0401, Shasta owners: 1-574-825-8717, Wildwood and Salem owners: 1-574-534-3167, Vibe owners: 1-574-296-2084, Sierra and Sandpiper owners: 1-574-534-4574, XLR owners: 1-574-642-0432, Prime Time owners: 1-574-862-1025. Forest River's number for this recall is 51-0851.

Potential number of units affected: 935

Grand Design RV is recalling certain 2019 Grand Design Reflection, Imagine and Transcend travel trailers. These axles may be missing inner bearings on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Grand Design will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin Oct. 22. Owners may contact Grand Design customer service at 1-574-825-9679. Grand Design’s number for this recall is 910015.

Potential number of units affected: 997

Heartland RV is recalling certain 2019 Heartland Mallard, Pioneer, Sundance XLT, Wilderness, North Trail, Prowler and Trail Runner travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Heartland will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin Oct. 26. Owners may contact Heartland customer service at 1-877-262-8032. Heartland’s number for this recall is 99.01.40.

Potential number of units affected: 622

Jayco is recalling certain 2019 Jayco White Hawk, Jay Flight, and Jay Flight SLX travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Jayco will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin Nov. 16. Owners may contact Jayco customer service at 1-800-517-9137. Jayco’s number for this recall is 9901410.

Potential number of units affected: 416

Cruiser RV is recalling certain 2019 Embrace, Fun Finder Xtreme Lite, MPG, Radiance Ultra Lite and Shadow Cruiser Ultra Lite travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Cruiser will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin Oct. 26. Owners may contact Cruiser customer service at 1-574-206-7920. Cruiser’s number for this recall is 99.03.15.

Potential number of units affected: 129

Highland Ridge RV is recalling certain 2019 Highland Ridge Open Range Ultra Lite, Mesa Ridge, and Open Range Lite travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearing races on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burnout or cause the hub to overheat.

Highland Ridge will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Highland Ridge customer service at 1-260-768-7771. Highland Ridge’s number for this recall is 9904410.

Potential number of units affected: 22

SidecarFlip wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
How is Dexter axles not being mentioned? They make the axles. It was one of their people who didn't install the bearings in the axle properly before being shipped to Lippert. Speaking of which, why isn't this recall industry wide?

Isn't Dexter now owned by Lippert???

Man I hope not because say what you want about Dexter and this recall, but they beat out Lippert by a country mile in every aspect of anything LOL.

Dexter had purchased AL-KO awhile ago and is now changing their overall business presence to DEXKO.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
How is Dexter axles not being mentioned? They make the axles. It was one of their people who didn't install the bearings in the axle properly before being shipped to Lippert. Speaking of which, why isn't this recall industry wide?

Isn't Dexter now owned by Lippert???
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:

Why would Dexter ship axles to Lippert? They're in competition with each other for axle sales. Not sure how a trailer could make it out the factory door, let alone the trip to the dealer with a missing race.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, axles, springs..complete are shipped to the mfg of each type coach..( I have taken about 30 factory tours)..
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

The bearings are in the hub NOT the axle. Does anyone know if the axles are shipped complete ready to be installed?

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping the recall is just to make people aware of what is going on in the industry. I sure hope none got into the hands of the purchasers.
I think the same article had mentioned Heartland also.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing to hold the balls/cylinders in if the inner race is missing. The trailer wouldn't make it 3-feet down the road.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
How can a bearing missing the inner race even make it to the buyer?
I agree. I bet they don't find a single unit in the hands of a buyer that has this problem. Much to do about nothing.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, while Discount Tire was installing the new GY Endurance tires on our new 2019 Laredo I wiggled and rotated each wheel. All was fine. Towed 1500+ miles fully loaded to AZ in late Sept - early Oct without issues. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
How can a bearing missing the inner race even make it to the buyer?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds