cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multiple blowouts in short time

shinkebein
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to get some feedback from others who've dealt with the multiple blowout issues. We've had many tire issues in the 3 1/2 years of owning our 5th wheel. We bought the 2013 trailer in Florida in February 2017. Pulling home to Houston, TX, we had 3 blowouts in one day under tow (original tires so I can understand this). The first blowout got both driver side tires at the same time. Replaced roadside with Goodyear Marathons 235/80 R16 E. A few hours after getting back on the road, passenger rear tire blew 30 minutes from our destination for the night. Replaced with spare, got to where we needed to go. Next day, I replaced both passenger side tires with the same Marathons. Those tires lasted a little over two years until memorial day weekend 2019. Driving from Houston to west of Fort Worth (Lake Mineral Wells), I had driver side rear tire blow, changed it and back on the road, hour later passenger front tire blew. Got four new tires at the only place I could find, MasterTrack UN 203 235/80 R16 F rated this time. These lasted until July of this year when driving from Houston to Tyler, Tx when I had a rear driver side blow out again. Put on the spare and as soon as we pulled into the park, the driver side front had a rubber valve stem blow out. Replaced all tires yet again with 235/80 R16 but a G rated tire this time at the suggestion of the tire shop. I don't remember the brand.

Recently I went to my local RV shop, they said we need to replace all of our hubs and bearings and that should solve our problem. We have TPMS and never experienced any issues with tire pressure or temperature so I'm hesitant to spend a few hundred dollars if not necessarily going to resolve our issue. Hoping to get some feedback from others that may have had similar issues. I'm sure we'll hear that we need to go buy Goodyear Endurance or another brand, but we just spent roughly $1000 on these replacing them and getting a second spare. Having this many issues in this short of a time, I'm thinking there is something more at play. The trailer probably only has roughly 5000 miles on it since manufacture as the original owners never towed it more than 5 miles a year (snowbirds from Canada storing it near their campground in Florida).

Thanks in advance!

Steve
2012 GMC 2500 Denali 6.6 Duramax
2013 Prime Time Crusader 325 RES
36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Its simple here for many, some want the best ,some settle for second best . Regardless of where its made I want the best, safety, durability ,cost all come into play. Thats why Sailun has become a very popular tire . This China thing has become redundant ,we all know the quality ,and thats what many chose. If we based things on where they are made ,we wouldn't own much , including our I phones ,computers , and "OUR " trucks

Its also time to put this where its made to bed, we all know ,and we all chose.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Say it ainโ€™t so Ethyl, a Sailun blowout???

Must have been road hazard. :B

Busted my bubble too. LOL
I don't know what is was. I didn't recall running over anything. On US 550 between Cuba and Bernalillo NM.
Who knows how the previous owner treated them.
Cant decide what to replace them with this winter. We have a full dance card next year.

I too had a Sailun failure ,that was NOT a blowout, but a tire starting to come apart from being run without air . No tire holds up in those conditions. To the credit of Sailun in my case the tire held together nicely, no damage to the wheel or fifth wheel.

Have I changed my mind on Sailun ,not at all, why should I , when I read the horror stories of Goodyear tires tearing up fifth wheels, and the experience with Sailuns, no It will be Sailuns from now on. Bought my second set of Sailuns about four months ago, to replace the Westlakes that were on the new fifth wheel we bought.

There is no better G or H rated fifth wheel tire on the market then the Sailuns, hands down the better tire then any other brand. Its been proven for several years now. Track record is just second to none . Full dance card or not ,you were unfortunate same as I ,tires can have a failure , but I want the best chance at not having a failure. I would not even consider a different brand ,especially in a G or H rated tire .

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Busted my bubble too. LOL
I don't know what is was. I didn't recall running over anything. On US 550 between Cuba and Bernalillo NM.
Who knows how the previous owner treated them.
Cant decide what to replace them with this winter. We have a full dance card next year.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Try calling Axle and Wheel Aligning Company in Pasadena and see if they will align RV axles. They may work your bearings as well. HWY225 at Richey, north side of 225. I haven't used them in quite a while but they have been there forever.
https://www.axleandwheel.com/
For an alternative I use Channelview RV Supply on I-10 East just east of BW 8 for all general repairs. They've been there forever as well. I just paid them to repack my bearings for the first time in my life. I always did it myself.
http://www.channelviewsupply.com/
Sounds like whoever said you needed new bearings is BS'ing you unless they removed them and inspected.
Come on over to the working side of Houston where we don't accept such bullcorn.
I ran the new design Carlisle 16" on our previous 5th. No Issues. WalMart.com.
Bought the current Landmark lightly used with Sailun 215 75r 17.5 on it. Had a blowout 2 weeks ago in Nowhere, New Mexico. Replaced it with a Hercules Steelguard HRA, which was all I could get.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok to be clear. Zero non road hazard claims on GY Endurance tires since they were introduced over 3.5 years ago.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
phillyg wrote:
Your first blowouts are not unexpected as the tires were old when you purchased the rig. GY Marathons have fallen out of favor over the years, and I don't think the GY Endurance makes your size. Sailun, although Chinese-made, has a stellar reputation. In fact, I've only heard of one failure, in multiple forums, and the reason was inconclusive. Lastly, there's no reason to replace bearings and hubs unless they already damaged. In some cases, its easier and cheaper to just replace the entire hub/race/bearing as a set.

What size doesnโ€™t ENDURANCE sell?

RVK
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line is nearly all trailer tires suck. I had two Marathons blow out within a couple of days. They were two years old with about 10K miles. The only ones I've not heard numerous complaints about are Maxxis and Sailun. Maybe some of the expensive, commercial type trailer tires from Goodyear, Michelin, and others. I'm running light truck tires on my 5th wheel now.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
You are towing level ?
Art

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your first blowouts are not unexpected as the tires were old when you purchased the rig. GY Marathons have fallen out of favor over the years, and I don't think the GY Endurance makes your size. Sailun, although Chinese-made, has a stellar reputation. In fact, I've only heard of one failure, in multiple forums, and the reason was inconclusive. Lastly, there's no reason to replace bearings and hubs unless they already damaged. In some cases, its easier and cheaper to just replace the entire hub/race/bearing as a set.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would clean, and inspect the hubs, and do new Timken races, bearings, and seals if the hubs look ok.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, when was the last time you checked, repacked the bearings?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
check the tread wear. is it flat, on the edges or only on one side. also I was plagued with blowouts until I went to rims rated for more than 65 psi, as having e rated tires at 90 psi was causing the rims to crack and leak. thus blowing a tire due to under inflation and heat. I would have the wheel bearings cleaned and repacked with high temp grease. new seals. every 2nd year. if any signs of wear shows, then replace the bearing and race. + seal. balance the tires. new valves wu=ith tires. I like metal stems... make sure the tire sidewall doesn't have a warning for speed. most trailer tires are only rated for 60-65 mph. (they used to be rated at 55 mph). using LT tires is a upgrade. just make sure they are rated for more weight than you are hauling. with a good safety margin..

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
shinkebein wrote:
Our trailer weighs roughly 12,000 fully loaded and we drive 65 - 70 tops. They didn't mention replacing rims, only bearings and hubs.

Put on LT tires not ST, I have a 14K 5W and travel about 7o most of the time, zero issues. I have run LT tires on all my 5W's and do not have tire issues, just watch pressure. There have been good reports on some newer ST tires, Sailun and Goodyear 614s
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold