cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Generator Help for New Sabre 36BHQ Owners....

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
Ey there folks,

We've got friends who are having their new Sabre 5'ver delivered this coming Friday. As far as I can tell they did not purchase a generator in it. They've got two A/C's so they'll undoubtedly need something pretty hefty.

We've got an Onan 4000 in our rig but we've only got one A/C so I really need some advice from ya'll as far as what generators to look at.

Since we have a small A-class I have no experience with 5'vers and would really appreciate any other tips you could give us to pass on!

I really appreciate it,

Randy
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle
1950's Something Sweetheart of a Fisherwoman Wife
22 REPLIES 22

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I have a 5'er with an onan 5500 LP it works great and powers both AC's.
When its hot out both A/C's are required to cool my rig.
If you choose not to go with the Onan but use portables it gets more complicated.
What kind of plug does the genset have? Does it have a 50 amp RV plug?
How are you going to move the larger heavier models. How are you going to transpoet and store gas. Is the plan to use genset 24/7? Are there others nearby to contend with genset noise?
Back in 2012 I factory ordered my unit with a genset however if I were doing it today I would invest in a A/C capable solar set up and skip the large genset. Times have changed.

I checked the front hatch and it didn't come prewired for an onboard gennie, but the plug is a 50A plug. At a point in time, they are going to have 50A shore power but they just need something to get them through a month or maybe a little less. His location is out in the country where noise won't be much of an issue, but he will be next to someone's house.

Thanks for your input, I'll mention this post to him!
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
I have a 5er and my 2 Hondas are hooked up away from the trailer. I was a Fire Fighter for 35 years and and I certainly wouldn't want to hear about Carbon Monoxide getting into the trailer because it was sitting under the front end of the trailer. In my opinion extend the umblical cord away from the trailer and then plug into the gennys. You can make a tent for the gennys, using plastic tarps, to protect them from the weather. Be safe.

Thank ya' for the Carbon Monoxide warning, Fireman! Really appreciate it. I know he plans on making a sound retardant box for them also. He does have plenty of area to extend the cord out. I'll be sure and tell them to be smart about that. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, ey?

Thanks Bob, sure appreciate ya',

Randy
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
If they want to be able to run both A/C units, they will need at least 5500 Watts. A 5500 Watt generator will run a 30# propane bottle dry in pretty short order.

But first thing they need to do is to evaluate if they really need a generator for camping. Then where they are dry camping if they dry camp. Many camping areas have restricted hours for generator use. And above all, they do not want the cheap loud contractor grade generator unless they hate their neighbors.

Ken

I think they're going to use it strictly for residential right now. Eventually they will have access to 50A. Pretty sure they'll be using a couple of gennies in parallel to give them enough power to fire up both A/C's. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, Ken. Thanks much my friend.
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If they want to be able to run both A/C units, they will need at least 5500 Watts. A 5500 Watt generator will run a 30# propane bottle dry in pretty short order.

But first thing they need to do is to evaluate if they really need a generator for camping. Then where they are dry camping if they dry camp. Many camping areas have restricted hours for generator use. And above all, they do not want the cheap loud contractor grade generator unless they hate their neighbors.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5er and my 2 Hondas are hooked up away from the trailer. I was a Fire Fighter for 35 years and and I certainly wouldn't want to hear about Carbon Monoxide getting into the trailer because it was sitting under the front end of the trailer. In my opinion extend the umblical cord away from the trailer and then plug into the gennys. You can make a tent for the gennys, using plastic tarps, to protect them from the weather. Be safe.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 5'er with an onan 5500 LP it works great and powers both AC's.
When its hot out both A/C's are required to cool my rig.
If you choose not to go with the Onan but use portables it gets more complicated.
What kind of plug does the genset have? Does it have a 50 amp RV plug?
How are you going to move the larger heavier models. How are you going to transpoet and store gas. Is the plan to use genset 24/7? Are there others nearby to contend with genset noise?
Back in 2012 I factory ordered my unit with a genset however if I were doing it today I would invest in a A/C capable solar set up and skip the large genset. Times have changed.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If their FW is set up for an optional Onan built in gen, that may be best option. As to using portable gens, that can be a lot of work, fueling, carrying/lifting, if trying to run 2 ACs.

IMO, using two 2K inverters, or one heavier 3K+ inverter will work to use just one AC.

Jerry

Well thank ya' Jerry, I checked and it was not prewired. I think they're going to get a couple of 3500's and put them under front end. But I think Jon's going to build a noise damper and put that around the gennies to cut down on the noise.

Hopefully we'll find out a little more later this week. Thank you so much, Jerry.
Randy
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Yamaha makes a 4500 watt inverter generator.

Champion also makes a 4500 watt inverter generator with remote electric start.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200987-4500-watt-wireless-start-inverter/

I would consider the Preditor 3500 and get two of them.

Thank you, Don. I showed them your input and I think these are seriously in the running. I think they'll probably check out the reviews shortly and make a decision, being on a pretty tight timeline.
Thank you for everything, I really appreciate it!
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
kicker wrote:
I have a 2020 Grand Design Reflection 295RL that is 50 amp and has 2 AC's. When I do not have electric and am boondocking, I use a Honda 3500I Generator. It will run almost everything except 2 AC's at a time. Most people who have 2 AC's either run the main unit during the day, then switch to bedroom unit at night. Or, just run main unit all the time. I have never had an issue in 2yrs of owning my 5th wheel. You do have to pay attention on what is plugged in. You cant have AC, Fridge, and Water Heater on electric. I switch fridge and water heater over to propane. Personally, if I was just starting out, I would buy 2 Honda 2500I companions generators. They are smaller and easier to store and carry. I have a Ford F350 super duty so my generator always stays in the back of my truck.

Heya Kicker, the wife is very pregnant and wants to be able to run both A/C's at the same time. So this'll move them up to a couple of hefty gennies. They're looking at Harbor Freight and then I believe they're going through Amazon and checking reviews and specs. They're gonna be moving pretty quickly on this so we should know shortly what they come up with.
Thank ya' sir, I really appreciate your input!
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200987-4500-watt-wireless-start-inverter/

Ooooooo! That Champion must be a newer genny; I was looking at their site about 6 months ago and never saw it.

I believe the Yamaha 4500 is a traditional generator, not an inverter, though it's supposed to be as quiet as one. The one I remember is a high-torque, constant-speed engine, running at only about 2600 RPM instead of the 3600-4000 RPM of the typical open-frame genny.

Later: Just checked out the Champion web site, and am a bit disappointed in the 4.5kw genny's performance. You do get 1k more watts starting but only 300w more than the 3500; 3500 vs 3200 continuous. If things were equal, the 4500 would give about 4100w continuous. You =do= get 7 more hours of run time with the 4500 at the same load, though. Not sure that 3500w continuous would run 2 15k A/Cs without a load controller.

WAITAMINNIT! I scrolled further down Champion's list and there's also 4650w and a 5500w inverters!

I'M LOSING MY MIND! I just checked HF and they now have a Predator 9500w inverter! $2,000!

Lyle

I know the feelin', Lyle! Thank you for all your help. I think they're going to go with the 3500 Predators and parallel them. They're moving in shortly so they'll have to do something. Reckon we'll know more next Sunday if we see them at church. Thank ya' again, partner!
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Just 2 choices really, an onboard Onan 5500 or choose from a slew of portable generators that need to be a more than 5K watts whether using one or combining a pair, 6K watts would be better for running both ACs at higher elevations.

Last 2 rigs we made sure to have onboard gennies, simply the easiest to utilize and with proper maintenance will last for decades and many thousands of hours. We also have a Champion Inverter portable for running one AC at a time.

Thank you so much, Gary. It sounded like they are actually going to look at Harbor Freight's Predators. I've got a smaller one for blackouts and it had great reviews. They'll be moving in shortly so we'll see what they wind up doing. Appreciate ya', Lyle!
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I recently read on another thread that a member used two small inverter generators in parallel to run his ac however he probably had just one ac. Maybe you can find that recent thread that had many replies I think.

Thank ya' partner. Talked to them yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's what they're going to do! I sure do appreciate your input!
Randy
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi laknox,

The one I was looking at was an inverter generator. I'm sure they make a "traditional" one, too.

9500 watts for $2k sounds pretty sweet. Buy two and save one for parts?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

Ooooooo! That Champion must be a newer genny; I was looking at their site about 6 months ago and never saw it.

I believe the Yamaha 4500 is a traditional generator, not an inverter, though it's supposed to be as quiet as one. The one I remember is a high-torque, constant-speed engine, running at only about 2600 RPM instead of the 3600-4000 RPM of the typical open-frame genny.

Later: Just checked out the Champion web site, and am a bit disappointed in the 4.5kw genny's performance. You do get 1k more watts starting but only 300w more than the 3500; 3500 vs 3200 continuous. If things were equal, the 4500 would give about 4100w continuous. You =do= get 7 more hours of run time with the 4500 at the same load, though. Not sure that 3500w continuous would run 2 15k A/Cs without a load controller.

WAITAMINNIT! I scrolled further down Champion's list and there's also 4650w and a 5500w inverters!

I'M LOSING MY MIND! I just checked HF and they now have a Predator 9500w inverter! $2,000!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member