cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Guy needs advice on features

GiveMeTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello – New Guy Here – Have a couple questions but first a little background.

We are ready to move up to a FW this year. We have been camping for years, tents and pop-up. We sold the pop-up last year in anticipation to get a FW in the near future. I also ride a Goldwing. SO isn't too up on traveling cross country on the back of the wing so my though is to get a Toy Hauler so that we can get to destination and then ride. I currently have a F350 SRW (been anticipating this move for some time, but this is the year!) so I'm set in that department.

I have found a (new) unit I like but a couple features concern me. I would like to know your thoughts regarding these features. Would they be a deal breaker for you?

First feature is a water capacity. Fresh = 100, Black = 32, Grey = 42. Is the Black being 32 going to be a problem? It seems to be on the low side. How long would that last a typical couple camping? Maybe it’s a non issue if most of our camping will not be boon docking.

Next concern is the bed. Its 60”x74”. A camper queen as I understand it. I’m 6’4”. Is there a work around to either make it larger or should I just plan on hanging over the end?

Thanks for help. Happy New Year!
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep looking there are plenty out there that "fit" your needs!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't purchased yet, look around to see if you can find one with the full queen bed or just plan on switching the mattress. Most RV mattresses are crappy anyway, so you might want to considered a memory foam or Sleep-by-Number. Your back will thank you.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

GiveMeTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
What is the pin weight of the trailer and the payload capacity of the truck?

Listed at "Hitch Weight", the trailer is 2,557. Payload of the truck is listed as 3,425.

Rear GAWR is 6,830 on the truck if that matters.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
What is the pin weight of the trailer and the payload capacity of the truck?

GiveMeTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
shadoow wrote:
GiveMeTheRoad wrote:

As far as the truck, looks like my rig has a GCWR of 13,700 and the FW is listed at 13,243. Should be OK, right? As long as I'm below I shouldn't have any issues, right? Will I find mountains to be a problem or I suppose that's more dependent on the engine.

GCWR includes the truck and trailer. Your number sounds small unless it's maybe for a gas truck vs. diesel. I'd recheck your info. Make sure you're looking at 5th wheel trailer limits and not limits for pull trailers.

Looks like I have some numbers mixed up. GCWR is 20,000. "Max towing capacity, properly equipped" is 13,700 listed on F350 Specs. A Ford Towing Guide states the 5th Wheel towing capacity is 12,700. A bit lower than the GVWR of the trailer. Do you think this is an issue? or if I watch myself, and don't go hog wild with loading, do you think I'll be OK?

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you keep looking for a standard 60x80 queen. That has always been on our list, since the DH is 6'4".

Our previous 5er only had a 40 gal grey tank, which we would typically fill in 3 or 4 days.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby is 6' 3" and his feet hang so far off the mattress that he blocks the doorway to the bedroom in our Class C......sheesh....

The 5er has twin beds, so I slid his mattress about 6" towards the end; and then filled the space between the front of the mattress and the wall with a rolled-up eggcrate foam mattress topper. I see no reason why this wouldn't work with a queen mattress, also (although you might have to add some length to the plywood platform). If you don't have foam - I see no reason why a rolled-up blanket or quilt wouldn't work?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

We are ready to move up to a FW this year. We have been camping for years, tents and pop-up. We sold the pop-up last year in anticipation to get a FW in the near future. I also ride a Goldwing. SO isn't too up on traveling cross country on the back of the wing so my though is to get a Toy Hauler so that we can get to destination and then ride. I currently have a F350 SRW (been anticipating this move for some time, but this is the year!) so I'm set in that department.

What is important is the pin weight and the payload on the single rear wheel truck. You may find you will run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. Most of the heavier fifth wheel toy haulers would be better towed with a dually more from pin weights than anything else. However, since you have not purchased the toy hauler you can work the numbers and get what fits the truck.

I have found a (new) unit I like but a couple features concern me. I would like to know your thoughts regarding these features. Would they be a deal breaker for you?

First feature is a water capacity. Fresh = 100, Black = 32, Grey = 42. Is the Black being 32 going to be a problem?

Doubtful if that tank will be a problem. Probably more of an issue would be the gray tank as it contains the shower water, sink, etc. It is fairly small for a toy hauler. But, as others have stated, if you are with hook-ups it is all a non issue.

It seems to be on the low side. How long would that last a typical couple camping? Maybe it’s a non issue if most of our camping will not be boon docking.

Next concern is the bed. Its 60”x74”. A camper queen as I understand it. I’m 6’4”. Is there a work around to either make it larger or should I just plan on hanging over the end?

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GiveMeTheRoad wrote:

First feature is a water capacity. Fresh = 100, Black = 32, Grey = 42. Is the Black being 32 going to be a problem? It seems to be on the low side. How long would that last a typical couple camping? Maybe it’s a non issue if most of our camping will not be boon docking.

Like the others have said, tank size really won't be a problem if you're in a full hookup site; just dump when needed. I have 45/45/45 tanks and the black can fill up in 4 days with 4 people using the toilet. In a campground, the grey will fill in 3 days with just 2 of us taking showers every day. As for the bed, there was a thread here explaining how one guy built a small platform to hold a long mattress. Use the search feature and see if you can find it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
GiveMeTheRoad wrote:
Thanks for comments.

Sounds like tanks won't be much of an issue. That's good to know.

using park or 'nature' facilities will also minimize tank usage.

On the other hand, the bed could prove to be a problem. The arrangement is with the head centered at the nose of the unit. No slides in the BR. So I take it adding a longer mattress is the easiest option. Has anyone added some type of spacer (foam, wood/foam) at the head? After all, my head is generally on a pillow anyhow and doesn't require 'mattress' support.

some trailers may have a king size option you could get

As far as the truck, looks like my rig has a GCWR of 13,700 and the FW is listed at 13,243. Should be OK, right? As long as I'm below I shouldn't have any issues, right? Will I find mountains to be a problem or I suppose that's more dependent on the engine.

GCWR includes the truck and trailer. Your number sounds small unless it's maybe for a gas truck vs. diesel. I'd recheck your info. Make sure you're looking at 5th wheel trailer limits and not limits for pull trailers.

Thanks for your input.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Don't see black water tank being a problem, they use very little water.
Gray water tank is a different story, taking showers uses much more water.
I have never understood why some companies make these tanks the same size.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

GiveMeTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for comments.

Sounds like tanks won't be much of an issue. That's good to know.

On the other hand, the bed could prove to be a problem. The arrangement is with the head centered at the nose of the unit. No slides in the BR. So I take it adding a longer mattress is the easiest option. Has anyone added some type of spacer (foam, wood/foam) at the head? After all, my head is generally on a pillow anyhow and doesn't require 'mattress' support.

Thanks for your input.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks are a non-issue if rarely boondocking. 60 x 74 seems to be the common "short" queen bed in a lot of campers. We pull the mattress out 4" to 6" at night and stuff a couple of pillows in the gap and push it back during the day.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Just based on spec to spec - 32 gal is pretty small, however that tank is the slowest to fill, so it would not be a show stopper to me.

I could probably work with the bed too. They don't make a perfect rig I guess. There always seems to be a few trade-offs.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish