cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Reese hitch; confused about unhitching.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have just purchased a new Reese 5th-wheel hitch on my 2021 Ford F350 with puck system. I have not yet tried to hitch the trailer because I don't want to screw up.

With the arm pulled out, the Reese jaw remains in the closed position. (Hitches that I have used in the past all had the jaw in open position.) When the kingpin comes in contact with the jaw while backing slowly, I hope that pressure of the kingpin will open the jaw.

My real question is about unhitching. The instructions say to pull the arm out to the click position and then rotate it toward the truck. By playing with the hitch, I see that rotation of the arm opens the jaw. OK, so far. But the arm does not want to remain in the rotated position, so the jaw closes again.

Even though the jaw is closed, the instructions say that the trailer is now unhitched. Will the jaws open to release the kingpin when I drive forward? That's what I to know before I try hitching up.
12 REPLIES 12

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SUMRX4 wrote:
Not trying to sound like a jerk but didn’t you receive a manual with your hitch? Yes there are many knowledgeable folks here but if the manual isn’t clear for you I would contact Reese to be for sure.

GEEZE, what a "JERK" :B

I 100% agree!

There is always that "one guy" :C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SUMRX4 wrote:
Not trying to sound like a jerk but didn’t you receive a manual with your hitch? Yes there are many knowledgeable folks here but if the manual isn’t clear for you I would contact Reese to be for sure.

GEEZE, what a "JERK" :B

I 100% agree!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the hitch you are talking about is the Reese M5. Comes in either 20k or 27k. I have the 20k and like it just fine. My previous hitch was a Reese 15k and I loved that hitch. Simplicity at it's finest.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
·2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Nice response. Always good to learn good news.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
from the OP:
I have now hitched and unhitched successfully with the new Reese. It's model 30852, and is different from any other hitch that I have used. I like it.

To unhitch, I pull the arm out to 9 o'clock, but that does not open the jaws. You then rotate the arm clockwise to 10 o'clock. That opens the jaws. While still hitched with the kingpin pressing on the hitch, the arm will remain at 10 o'clock and the jaws remain open. When you pull away from the kingpin the arm returns to 9 o'clock and the jaws close.

When I was playing with the arm before trying to hitch up, there was no kingpin pressure on the hitch, the arm would not remain at 10 0'clock and the jaws would not remain open. That's what got me confused.

Also, the jaws are supposed to be closed when hitching. They are designed to open up as the kingpin moves into the hitch. That's different from what I'm used to.

This hitch is what Reese sent me to replace the Ford factory-installed hitch that I damaged by backing too hard into the trailer. I reported that in a earlier post, hoping to warm people that backing too hard can ruin a 5-th wheel hitch.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I have just purchased a new Reese 5th-wheel hitch on my 2021 Ford F350 with puck system. I have not yet tried to hitch the trailer because I don't want to screw up.

With the arm pulled out, the Reese jaw remains in the closed position. (Hitches that I have used in the past all had the jaw in open position.) When the kingpin comes in contact with the jaw while backing slowly, I hope that pressure of the kingpin will open the jaw.

My real question is about unhitching. The instructions say to pull the arm out to the click position and then rotate it toward the truck. By playing with the hitch, I see that rotation of the arm opens the jaw. OK, so far. But the arm does not want to remain in the rotated position, so the jaw closes again.

Raise the landing gear off the ground 2" and see what happens.

chevman
Even though the jaw is closed, the instructions say that the trailer is now unhitched. Will the jaws open to release the kingpin when I drive forward? That's what I to know before I try hitching up.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP please be VERY careful and fully understand how to hitch and unhitch. Unfortunately this is why so many 5er's are dropped because of the complicated hitching and un hitching systems.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on etrailer videos. They usually have videos for each and every application / option. They post them on youtube as well.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
As another member says Reese has several different jaw types depending on which hitch model you have.
What is the Reese hitch model number.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
On my Reese, when you pull the arm out it releases the jaws, that allow them to open. They are still closed until you pull away.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are not giving the exact model Reese hitch. I am not familiar with Reese hitch operation, but seems like you are understanding the instructions.

You can normally go to E-trailer site, with hitch model, and watch a video, that explains things, while showing operation.

Hope you enjoy your new hitch!

Jerry