Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Roof AC's for 5th Wheel

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Again fellow Voyagers!
We spend a few nights in our rig this weekend and think it is time to replace our roof AC units. We had some trouble with the main unit at the end of last year, now the front unit seems to be finicky. We currently have the Coleman Mach series, a 15k main and 13,5k front. I would like to go in with two 15k units. Our rig is ducted and 37' long.

We don't think we need heat pumps, but if it makes sense I would opt for them. The most important thing to us is quick and consistent cooling.

We are looking at the new Dometic Blizzard NXT, or the Brisk II. Unless I find something wonderful from Coleman, we would like to change manufacturers to see if we have any better luck. Our rig is a 2011 model and we have already replaced the main unit once.

Any thoughts / ideas / experiences with these units? Are there other models we should consider?

Thanks again!

Save travels!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
10 REPLIES 10

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
You dont say what your symptoms are, but Could it be that the cooling fins just need to be cleaned? If those get plugged with dust/dirt, the AC has to work twice as hard....
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
tomthyme wrote:
Hello Again fellow Voyagers!
We spend a few nights in our rig this weekend and think it is time to replace our roof AC units. We had some trouble with the main unit at the end of last year, now the front unit seems to be finicky. We currently have the Coleman Mach series, a 15k main and 13,5k front. I would like to go in with two 15k units. Our rig is ducted and 37' long.

We don't think we need heat pumps, but if it makes sense I would opt for them. The most important thing to us is quick and consistent cooling.

We are looking at the new Dometic Blizzard NXT, or the Brisk II. Unless I find something wonderful from Coleman, we would like to change manufacturers to see if we have any better luck. Our rig is a 2011 model and we have already replaced the main unit once.

Any thoughts / ideas / experiences with these units? Are there other models we should consider?

Thanks again!

Save travels!

tom,

What are the symptoms? I have a 2010 and the AC's are no where near needing replacement. I did some a problem with one of them a few weeks ago but it just needed a new run capacitor on the compressor. Cost me a whole $109 to have my local AC guy come diagnose out and fix it.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
I just sent you a private message related to your Cameo and the AC post you listed in March.

Thanks,
Bryan

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
JW of Opechee Shores wrote:
Replaced a carrier with the Brisk II and took less than 45 minutes with the conversion wire harness. Hardest part is getting the new one up on the roof. Used it all winter here in Florida and it has been great.

Remember this folks when you do an A/C job. It's not the install that is so bad, it's getting a very heavy A/C unit way up to the roof. When we did ours, the best part was taking the old unit off and tossing it to the ground. My sons loved it. (Edit, it had no 134a left, all leaked previously)
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tomthyme wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Could just need hard start kits or simple service. Your money though

Thanks! So what is a hard start kit?

It's a capacitor that stores up an electric charge to help kick-start the A/C's compressor. Reduces the load on the coach's electrical system, as well as the pedestal which, as well all know, can be suspect, especially in older CGs.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced a carrier with the Brisk II and took less than 45 minutes with the conversion wire harness. Hardest part is getting the new one up on the roof. Used it all winter here in Florida and it has been great.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomthyme wrote:
Wild Card wrote:

Video of installation of the Supco SPP6E in a RV air conditioner.
YouTube video

I put one of these on my previous air conditioner and the install was simple and easy. Hardest part was getting up the ladder to the roof.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:

2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We replaced our 13 year old Dometic 15,000btu air conditioner last year with an Atwood "Air Command" 15000btu ducted unit". It has a heat pump built in and is quite a bit quieter than our old unit and puts out a lot more air volume.

We have been extremely pleased with our choice. Time will tell if it is as reliable as the Dometic unit was.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler