cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Steps

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about replacing the old steps on my 5th wheel with the Lippert Solid Step. My questions are 1. can I do it myself or do I need professional installation and 2.those of you that have installed the step are you happy with it? Thank you
29 REPLIES 29

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift happy owner for 3 years.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just installed a set 3 weeks ago in my 5er. Simple job for me. Love the big top step.
Bought mine from Amazon.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
"For those of us who store our Rv's inside such as in my case I wouldn't be able to open them in storage. That alone is a HUGE deal breaker for me. Plus I don't need to worry about getting dirt from my steps inside. No need to hose or brush the Torklift off especially in wet conditions as they are outside the rig. And a lot of times I just simply want to toss something inside the door quick which I can't with steps in the way. Those are some of the advantages of the Torklift. I see no advantages of the solid step style for my needs. If these limitations don't apply to you then they are great steps.

Dan"

Agree completely...Really like the Glo-Steps!!

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. I decided we would go with Lippert Solid Step, but then I heard about a small company in Texas called RV-Co. Learned what I could about them on line and then called the company. They make a folding step with a 31 inch platform and 7 in spaced steps. Just what my wife needed with double knee replacements. Ordered the 5 step model and very pleased so far. They are a PIA because you have to fold them and put them in your rig or truck when you travel. The nice part is they simply hook up to your existing top step, no tools required. Probably not what you would want if you move a lot, but with this set up we can still continue to enjoy the RV lifestyle. If anyone else out there is using them I would appreciate your thoughts.

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
bsbeedub wrote:
There is no opening for the old style steps or the Torklift Glowstep and I donโ€™t want to cut into the skirt of a brand new trailer.

That would be the Glowstep Revolution. Might look into the Torklift Glowstep Uprising. I do not have experience with them but they mount similar to the MoreRyde or Step Above for RV's without under door mounting box.

Thanks mileshuff! Iโ€™ve never seen this version. I think this is the way Iโ€™ll go. Much more convenient than the MORryde for my situation.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
bsbeedub wrote:
There is no opening for the old style steps or the Torklift Glowstep and I donโ€™t want to cut into the skirt of a brand new trailer.

That would be the Glowstep Revolution. Might look into the Torklift Glowstep Uprising. I do not have experience with them but they mount similar to the MoreRyde or Step Above for RV's without under door mounting box.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:

For those of us who store our Rv's inside such as in my case I wouldn't be able to open them in storage. That alone is a HUGE deal breaker for me. Plus I don't need to worry about getting dirt from my steps inside. No need to hose or brush the Torklift off especially in wet conditions as they are outside the rig. And a lot of times I just simply want to toss something inside the door quick which I can't with steps in the way. Those are some of the advantages of the Torklift. I see no advantages of the solid step style for my needs. If these limitations don't apply to you then they are great steps.

Dan

Fair points. We do sweep them off before putting them up. That is an extra step in packing up camp.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
What are all these limitations of solid steps? Aside from you can't be right up against something and use them?

Our new 5th wheel came with solid fold down steps. The feet adjust to ground imperfections. So far they have been great. Years ago we had a truck camper with the accordion style steps. Nowhere near as stable. Perhaps the tork lift accordion stairs are better than what we had but we have no complaints on the solid steps and wouldn't hesitate to add them to a camper that doesn't have them.

For those of us who store our Rv's inside such as in my case I wouldn't be able to open them in storage. That alone is a HUGE deal breaker for me. Plus I don't need to worry about getting dirt from my steps inside. No need to hose or brush the Torklift off especially in wet conditions as they are outside the rig. And a lot of times I just simply want to toss something inside the door quick which I can't with steps in the way. Those are some of the advantages of the Torklift. I see no advantages of the solid step style for my needs. If these limitations don't apply to you then they are great steps.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

in the 6 years of owning an RV with the Morryde Steps, I have NEVER been in a spot where they would not work.... Not once...

BUT then again, I keep the RV at my house , not in a storage area somewhere.

I had the old school steps... I had the Torklift steps, , and I have had Both the original Morryde version, and the new version with strut assist...

While the Torklift were better than the old school steps ( in my eyes) ,, The Morryde/Lippert style are far more stable...

Just My Opinion
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Work2much:
Exactly!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
What are all these limitations of solid steps? Aside from you can't be right up against something and use them?

Our new 5th wheel came with solid fold down steps. The feet adjust to ground imperfections. So far they have been great. Years ago we had a truck camper with the accordion style steps. Nowhere near as stable. Perhaps the tork lift accordion stairs are better than what we had but we have no complaints on the solid steps and wouldn't hesitate to add them to a camper that doesn't have them.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the flip out steps on my TT with the Morryde version. We love em. However we have 2 doors on our TT. If you have just one door like most 5ers do then you you'll have many times that you can't open the steps out.
Rest ares being one, setting up on unlevel ground, tight storage areas, etc.
Ours are in the rear and if I deploy the solid steps before front to back leveling I could mess things up pretty good. Same with side to side which means no one gets in the 5er until it's level.
We have a 2nd door up front that still has the flip out steps so all the above is resolved.
The only downside for us and it's relatively minor is you need to adjust the feet almost every time you set up. Other than that they're quieter and definitely more solid than flip outs.

FWIW I would never have them on a single door RV.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I based my comments not as an owner but experience of my neighbors 5er.
The accordian style comment was from my experience numerous years ago.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Solid Step has extendable feet to insure step has a solid bas making contact to the ground.

As do the Torklift steps. They have two adjustable feet that make solid contact with the ground.

I am wondering why you stated that "The solid step is far more stable." referring to the Lippert steps. Have you owned, or used extensively, the Torklift steps? I have two of them on my trailer and can say they have NO movement up, down, or sideways when deployed and are a pleasure to use. They could not be any more stable than they are right now. I think your statement is a bit over the top.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine