Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck 4x4 or 4x2 ??

perrodiablo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Finally going to beak down and buy a new 3/4 ton F-250. I want to buy a 1/2 ton towable 5ver so I know it will take at least a F-250. My big question...do I really need a 4 wheel drive? It's not just the matter of the money. If I don't need it why have it. I do not go boondocking in the Sahara. We pretty much stay at parks. Plus it is a few inches lower which makes it a little easier on me and the wife.

So I am thinking a F-250 with the new 7.3 gas V8 with 2 wheel drive.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Tom
Tom & Lara R.
Grand Prairie, Texas
2007 30' Rockport TT
63 REPLIES 63

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need it get the 4x2. I will say that my truck can get stuck on wet grass in 2wd. Where I live you will have a hard time finding a 2wd truck on any dealer lots,and if you was trying to sell one you would have a real hard time selling it.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
I have only REALLY needed 4 wheel drive 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. So I guess some would say I don't need it, and I could have saved money by not getting it.

But I think that having 4 wheel drive those 4 or 5 times was worth every bit extra that it cost. Plus you can't put a price on the peace of mind that comes with knowing you can get out of a slick spot when you need to...Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no use for it you have no use for it. By some chance if you ever get stuck somewhere you'll just have to wait for a tow. I've towed our toy hauler off road a few times and never needed a 4wd.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have need for a 4x4 get the 4x2. In our area resale is much better for the 4x4. The 4x4 will lower your payload a small amount.
I will never have anything but the 4wheel drive but most of my life has been spent in mountain/snow country.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY