cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New truck. Old camper

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 outback and just bought a 2019 Chevy 2500. Once I hooked up to the camper I only have about 3” of clearance between the camper and 5er. I am using a b&w companion and can raise the hitch one more notch, and can lower the kingpin one hole.
What I’m worried about is if the camper will ride nose high on the new truck. The axle is already on top of the springs. Is there anything that can be done to safely raise the camper to make it ride level?
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Go to a bigger size tire might also work, though height gain is minimal.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FF286 wrote:
I have a 2005 outback and just bought a 2019 Chevy 2500. Once I hooked up to the camper I only have about 3” of clearance between the camper and 5er. I am using a b&w companion and can raise the hitch one more notch, and can lower the kingpin one hole.
What I’m worried about is if the camper will ride nose high on the new truck. The axle is already on top of the springs. Is there anything that can be done to safely raise the camper to make it ride level?

If you're only a couple inches nose-high, I wouldn't worry too much about it. 5-6", yeah, you need to do something. Not sure if the late model GMs have blocks in the suspension; I believe Ford and Ram do. If so, they could be removed and you'd gain a couple inches.

As others have said, more than a 2" lift on the FW, and you =really= need to add a sub-frame between the main frame and the axles. You run the risk of twisting the frame or bending the spring hangers if you add blocks. Using a cross-brace is also highly recommended.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
That little bit of adjustment should not really make the trailer too much nose high. I’d adjust and have at it. I adjusted our 2 holes and couldn’t see it was anymore high but the ruler measured just in front and back of wheels was only 1/2”.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
if you raise the camper somehow with subframe or flipping the axles, consider the other issues. Frame Cross or X menbers may be needed to stiffen to deal with the added lateral loads. Thats best placed at the rear spring mounts.
Landing and stabilizing gear may need blocks or spacers. How about the steps?
Consult a frame and welding shop.

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
Set it up so you have good clearance between bed and bottom of trailer. Measure from back of trailer frame to the ground an then do it at the front of the frame. See how much you are high. I have a 36 ft and mine is about 10 inches higher in front than back, I have about 7 in bed clearance. Mine tows good and doesn’t seem to be a issue. Others may disagree, but works for me..

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Yep I just mistyped that. Springs are on top of the axle.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cougar28 wrote:
Move the axle's under the springs. (Springs on top of axle)

Yes, this^^^^unless OP just wrote wrong, saying the axle already on top, and meant springs on top???

Having a subframe built is another option, if needed.

Jerry

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Move the axle's under the springs. (Springs on top of axle)
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate