Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open Range Warranty Service???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I bought a brand new 2018 Open Range 5th wheel. The first month or so it was back in the shop for the brakes to be replaced (did not work at all basically)

Now it is in the shop again for a cracked side near a slide out, a malfunctioning slide out and a few other things. A bit frustrating for a big investment less than a year old.

My bigger issue though is that it took 6 weeks to get an appointment at a dealer for repair. I dropped it off and it has now sat there for 3 weeks without being touched.

I dropped it off at a dealer I did not buy it from. They already have asked me whether i bought it from them which clearly is an issue to them that I did not.

I kind of get it that they want to serve their customers first, but I did make an appointment and wait for it. And I may be a potential customer in the future.

I am concerned because whenever they do get around to looking at it I will then have to wait for approval from the company for the warranty work, parts to be ordered, work to be done, etc.

Is this typical?

I had a similar experience last year at a different dealer getting my travel trailer fixed (not under warranty)

What's the point to buying a super expensive rig only to have it broke and unable to get it fixed and actually able to use the factory warranty that was the reason for buying new in the first place?

I can take it back to the dealer I bought it from but I already wasted 9 weeks and an hour each way to drop the thing off. The dealer I bought it from is over 3 hours from me.

Is it typical that you cannot get warranty service at a dealer unless it is the one you bought it from?

What's up with this?

thanks
Matt

Matt
8 REPLIES 8

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Sue wrote:
Go to the Open Range owners forum, ask who to get a hold of at the factory. You can call and explain your situation and they may be able to help. Also have heard Learch RV is very good even helping if it wasn't purchased from them.

X2, great bunch of people at the O.R Owners forums.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my OR from a dealer two hours away but there were only two dealers in my area. I am fortunate that I have not had any problems what so ever with anything major. My only frustration was during my pdi I found the topper over my kitchen slide was torn due to being left open on the dealer lot. The dealer said no problem I will replace it. He did replace it. Once I got it home and went over it with a fine tooth comb again I found he had put a topper on it what was 6 inches too short on each side. That proved to me he had no morals to try and pull that over me. I called him to complain and he would not return my calls. So I emailed Highland ridge and can only say WOW. They have sent replacement topper to another dealer and I can only say that I am very happy with the results. If I were you I would e mail Highland ridge and state your problem.

It is not my nature to bad mouth anyone so I will not name the dealer.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely complain to the manufacturer. Summer will be over before you get to use it.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Open Range owners forum, ask who to get a hold of at the factory. You can call and explain your situation and they may be able to help. Also have heard Learch RV is very good even helping if it wasn't purchased from them.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said you bought it 3 hours away, so I'm guessing Learch RV. It it was, you should have went back there. They are worth the drive. Call them and ask them when they can get you in.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it is typical, you are lucky the non selling dealer even accepted your coach.
Reason for this is do to several factors.
First its very difficult to find RV technicians, so that resource is limited.
Warranty work is costly to the dealer, as manufacturers don't necessarily cover all costs, customer pay work does. Again, only so many service hours available.
A smart dealer expects to have units come back for warranty work so out of the profit he (hopefully) made from the sale of the coach, he sets some aside to cover future warranty costs. Since you bought elsewhere there is no profit to offset your warranty costs, so the dealer has little incentive to put your coach at the head of the line.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think it is typical that you will wait longer, than if you went to selling dealer. You may end up with with good results/or not. I would consider contacting the manufacturer, or check with selling dealer, to see if they could get you in/out sooner. A manufacturer can authorize warranty service at an independent repair, which may be another option.

In any case, the warranty for an RV is not like your truck...it just sucks, unless you get lucky and have an exceptional dealer.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI kind of get it that they want to serve their customers first,โ€

Thatโ€™s the way it is and when Spring gets close, theyโ€™ll take paying customers before you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad