cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on New 5th wheel

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are brand new to this. Have never done anything like this. We rented and loved in, and now want to have our own. Recently purchased a RAM 2500 Diesel. Have been doing a lot of reading here.

The rigs we are considering are the following:

Grand Design - 29RS, 303RL or 317RST

Coachmen Chaparal 336TSIK

Rockwood 8289WS

Cougar 313RLI

Outdoors RV - Glacier Peak.

Any suggestions I have not listed?

I am interested in opinions on quality, as well as tow ability by my RAM 2500. I have weighed the truck with my wife and I in it already per suggestions I have read here to do so. To not exceed the 10,000 GVWR I have 1,760 payload remaining. That was before I had the hitch installed of witch I purchased the B&W companion. So probably lose another 250# with that. I am disappointed with the remaining payload, but want to do what I can to stay within the ratings.
26 REPLIES 26

CManley
Explorer
Explorer
MandM2711 wrote:
Those are the two with the least weight. If I use 20% there is little hope for staying under the gvwr at least on those. Dry hitch is fine. Might need to look at lighter ones to stay under. And to think they are advertised as half ton towable

The math is a challenge for most 5th Wheels and 3/4 ton Truck. I looked at both of those models and ended up with the 303. I am a bit over payload, air bags and off camping.
2015 303 RLS GD Reflection, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax

[url=]

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned previously, be aware of the bed rail heights of these new Rams. Many of the lighter trailers, intended for the 1/2 ton trucks, are lower than the larger trailers. What ever trailer you choose, before you sign on the dotted line, be sure to a dry run and back under it to get an idea of how much clearance you will have.

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
Those are the two with the least weight. If I use 20% there is little hope for staying under the gvwr at least on those. Dry hitch is fine. Might need to look at lighter ones to stay under. And to think they are advertised as half ton towable

CManley
Explorer
Explorer
From a conservative stand point you probably want to estimate pin weight at 20% of gross.

Examples:

29RS
GVWR = 9,995 lbs
Hitch Weight (Dry) = 1,476 lbs

20% of GVWR = 1,999 lbs

Rockwood 8289WS

GVWR = 9,350 lbs
Hitch Weight (dry) 1,524

20% of GVWR = 1870

I suspect that the estimated pin weight is similar across the trailers you listed
2015 303 RLS GD Reflection, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax

[url=]

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
We were never going to own a fifth wheel, guess what we now have. The truck with the new fw is within 200 lbs of GVWR when loaded. The fw came with a Reese Revolution so didn't need a slider and the Reese hitch added about 100 lbs. The truck payload is 2100. I'm not even close on Rear axle rating and knew that would be the case. You need to look at trailers with just the pin weight in mind or you will be over the truck GVWR. We really like our Flagstaff and picked it for the pin wt. We also considered the Flagstaff 8528RKWS with a rear kitchen -even less pin wt.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
For lighter weight FWs from reputable brands, check out the Jayco Eagle HT and KZ Durango 1500 models, especially if you've got a 2500/250 class truck.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
We are going this weekend as well. Been looking at the cougar this evening on line. Still like the Grand design better. So that is where we will be going to look. Good luck to you as well.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We've been shopping some new rrigs, the Cougar half Tom 279RKSWE and both Grand Design Super Lite models have caught out attention. Monday looked at the GD 27RL and will look at their 29rs maybe this weekend. As for quality, I'd give the nod to Grand Design. I also like some of the little things Grand Design has done like no floor registers, good size windows. Good luck with Tyler decision.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
Just measured I am at 58 as well. Good thing I did not go ahead with the 20in wheels that is what I had picked out and changed at the last minute. Thanks for your information it helps to put me at ease about going with the Grand design.

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Ram 4x4 is right at 58 inches to the top of the bed rail. I have the Reflection 27RL and I pull maybe 2 inches nose high. I have 6-7 inches of bed rail clearance. With that being said, my friend's 2015 2500 4x4 with 20 inch wheels is right 61 inches at the bed rail. Don't know what you have, but you go from there. By the way, what ever I am nose high, it's not a problem and really looks nice with no problems going down the road. Most would not notice except the RVers on here.

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
Btw which reflection do you have?

MandM2711
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing that and lean towards the grand design. The 29rs has the lightes hitch weight at 1476. But I have also read on that site about tow issues with the new trucks being too high causing the smaller reflections to tow nose up. That being said I really have no idea how bad of an issue that is

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Grand Design owner's forum, you will see Grand Design has, maybe one of the best customer service policy going. My Grand Design Reflection has been almost flawless so far, but know things can happen. Your 2500 will be over GVWR as others have said, still way under RAWR.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to get a very small and light 5er with a 3/4 ton diesel (AKA 250/2500) if you want to stay under the GVWR. I tow a 5er that weighs about the same as the Cougar you are looking at (9,820 dry/12,360 GVWR). Our 2001 Ram 2500 does fine over GVWR, even yours by a bit. I don't have any issues pulling this rig at 19,500# GCVW, and still 500# of rear axle rating to spare.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"