cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking lot owner liability

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
In a separate thread I mentioned that I pulled our 5er into a horizontal sign arm in a parking lot. The damage was a hole in the fiberglass that came into the living area.

In any other situation like this I know it would be all my fault. This sign post was like nothing I have ever seen. It was located in the corner of the lot near the entrance. The horizontal portion stuck out from the main post about 6 or 8 feet and about 10 feet off the ground pointing straight out into the parking lot. The lot is on a corner and I was using it to turn around from one entrance and go out the other. I thought it was a lamp post and never saw the horizontal arm. There was no ballard preventing travel under the arm. I ended up turning the front of our 5er into it and didn't even know what I hit till I got out. Would the parking lot owner share any blame here due to an unusual structure with no protection to keep people from driving under it?
25 REPLIES 25

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
sfpcservice wrote:
Yeah yeah. It stuck out so far that it made me think of an overpass with no height placard. May you all never encounter such an object.

As a matter of fact, I did something very much like this last year- turning near a tree with a branch stub that stuck out just above the line of vision in my mirror...managed to poke that sucker right through a window!

And one time, I was walking into the wind wearing a straw hat. Trying to keep it from blowing off, I was walkin' with my head sorta down which meant the brim blocked my view above a certain point. I didn't see an iron bar directly across the path ahead, again, just above my line of sight. Nearly knocked myself out when I walked right into it.

Point being, both times there was no one to blame but myself...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Being you hit a fixed object... Did you made sure you didn't damage somebody's private property? I'm sure somebody paid to install them.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
sorry but I gotta go along with majority on this one

if you turned into the parking lot it sounds like to turn around then you were using the parking lot completely at your own risk

and you know technically you might have been trespassing on it

and your towing a large object and you did not check your surroundings----- so unfortunately the pole is not responsible,,,,, Nor the person that owns it

sorry

while going forward there are three directions you have to watch out for (its actually 5 )

front both sides top and bottom
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not that folks don't sympathize with you, it's that your question asked if the parking lot owners are in any way liable. They aren't.

You said it yourself "I thought it was a lamp post and never saw the horizontal arm." You failed to see it, you were driving on private property, you had a vehicle with a height that requires consideration before just driving along.

In addition, if you weren't patronizing any of the businesses connected to the lot, your driving into the parking lot might be construed as illegal trespass.

I'd chalk this one up to a learning experience and let it go.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah yeah. It stuck out so far that it made me think of an overpass with no height placard. May you all never encounter such an object.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No. You were the moving object. Can't blame the post because you ran into it.

Few years ago, I turned off a main highway running through a small town. Looked like a great place to turn around, just go around a triangle shaped set of streets and come out the opposite way I was going. Made the turn off the highway, but the trailer tracked sharper than I expected. Next thing I know the tires of the trailer was stuck over the ditch, trailer was tilted about 45 degrees. Scared the bee-jee-bers out of me. I attempt to back out. Could not. Went forward and just drug it out of the hole. Later I realized I bent the jack and the skid bar. Now ... should I expect the little town to reimburse me for my damage because they left a hole on the side of the road and I was dumb enough to drive right into it on a perfectly clear, sunny day about 2:00 in the afternoon on a week-day with no traffic anywhere? Hum?

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
When you venture onto private property you're most likely driving VFR (Visual flight rules) so look around carefully.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
sfpcservice wrote:
.........The lot is on a corner and I was using it to turn around from one entrance and go out the other......

Were you patronizing the business that owned the lot, or just using it to turn around in? Not that it likely matters since in both cases you hit a visible, non-moving object. But if you were actually a customer of the business, you might get at least some sympathy from the owner.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Is this a serious question?? :S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
which was moving, you or the post?

gmc851
Explorer
Explorer
Nope
I could be wrong, your mileage may vary :?
Doug & Jan
06 2500HD 6.6L D/A SB 28/33 Titanium :B