cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pick up tool Box extra fuel tank

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to put a combination tool Box fuel tank in the bed of my new Chevy one ton short bed pick up. I have a pull trailer now but in the next couple years we are looking to purchase a 5th wheel. I am trying to figure out what would fit in there and not conflict with the 5th wheel hitch or the 5th wheel trailer. I found one through transferflow.com thats 21'high by 21' wide. It is below the bed rails, so I can see where it confict with it height wise.Same with the width or depth.
My intent is to install this before I install the 5th wheel hitch in by the 5th wheel trailer.
What should I be looking at to make this determination?
Thanks
2001 Suburban,8.1L engine, 4.10 rear end
2003 Holiday Rambler Presidental 32'
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler
11 REPLIES 11

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40 gallon transfer flow with tool box and a Sidewinder pinbox. Cost is long forgotten and enjoyment still continues. Replacement tanks with installation can be quite expensive.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Do some states not allow gasoline tanks in trucks? Why would diesel be different than gas?

Flash point gas vs diesel
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Do some states not allow gasoline tanks in trucks? Why would diesel be different than gas?
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I repeat: I would look at installing a larger replacement tank in place of the OEM tank and wait on the bed box until you settle on the 5th wheel hitch.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I looked at the one that you put the link to and it's more than half the cost of the one that I was looking at. Don't know if there's quality involved other than the one from trans flow had a remote fuel gauge to install in your truck.
I guess I have to look at a few different kinds of 5th wheel hitches to get a feel for their footprint to make sure there's clearance between the tank And the hitch.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
You tow with the slider toward the cab, and slide it back for backing in to tight spots, unless you get an auto slider that does it for you.
With a short bed you will probably need a tool box combo with a beveled bottom, to make room for the hitch base.

RDS 41 gallon

I modified my truck trunk box twice when I moved it from a long box truck to our 2015 RAM short bed. I would look at installing a large replacement tank in place of the OEM tank and wait on the bed box until you settle on the 5th wheel hitch. I had to always slide the manual slider, as the B&W latch handle would not clear the box in the forward position.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, Transfer Flow tanks are about the most expensive around. Seem to be good quality, but there are much cheaper ones out there that may work just as well.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I looked at the one that you put the link to and it's more than half the cost of the one that I was looking at. Don't know if there's quality involved other than the one from trans flow had a remote fuel gauge to install in your truck.
I guess I have to look at a few different kinds of 5th wheel hitches to get a feel for their footprint to make sure there's clearance between the tank And the hitch.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
You tow with the slider toward the cab, and slide it back for backing in to tight spots, unless you get an auto slider that does it for you.
With a short bed you will probably need a tool box combo with a beveled bottom, to make room for the hitch base.

RDS 41 gallon

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Yes slider hitch. Also considering one with a airbag on it.
Also was told by the service dept rep. at camping world that the slider hitch moves from the back forward towards the cab???
For some reason I was thinking the opposite, to give more room away from the cab for turning.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel tanks are plentiful, gasoline not so much.

What hitch are you going to be using, some have a larger footprint than others. Going to use a slider hitch? These are things to consider.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"