cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking a new rig

Kach
Explorer
Explorer
We’re starting to poke around looking for our first 5th wheel (4th trailer). Looking for about the shortest rigs that have a separate closed door bunkhouse (family of 5). Most seem to be about 34’.

Looking for recommendations of good brands. If you search for reviews it doesn’t seem like anyone is very happy with anything (except for the 2-3 mythical manufacturers that don’t make what we’re looking for). Just hoping to hear some positive experiences.

We camp year round (skiing in the winter). We’ve had good luck doing this in 3-season trailers (heated enclosed underbelly). Also about 70% boondocking.

So far liking the Palomino puma 289 bhs. I like stick and tin trailers and we really like the floor plan. Can’t find anything about the enclosed underbelly being heated, which would be a deal breaker.

Also liked the artic wolf 287 bh. Lots of value for the money - almost suspiciously too much! We liked the layout and seemed weatherproof enough for our needs.

I’d appreciate any input on these choices or others!,
7 REPLIES 7

Kach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!

By mythical manufacturers I meant Northwood and Lance - those that everyone seems to love despite paying somewhat of a premium. It’s hard to find consistent good reviews on much else.

The ‘lightweight’ 5th wheels alll seem to have pretty small tanks. We get by with 30 gal grey and black now. We run low on fresh first usually now days when boondocking.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at mid profile rigs check out the KZ Half Ton fivers. Bedrooms are a bit lacking but they have a lot of other nice features.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
We owned 2 bunkhouses. A Springdale that was metal sided and a Cougar that was fiberglass. The only problem we had with the Springdale was an outside shower knob that took flight one afternoon. Keystone sent a new shower assy and I installed it.

Both had wall and door bunkrooms. Now the kids are grown and we have recliners and a couch.

The suggestion about dealers is very good advice. We have 3 dealers in our area. Two I wouldn't consider dealing with, the third is great. They give a 90 day warranty on used 5ers. It's a real simple warranty. Anything breaks in the first 90 days they fix it. They even change at the mattresses on all their used rigs.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Kach wrote:
We’re starting to poke around looking for our first 5th wheel (4th trailer). Looking for about the shortest rigs that have a separate closed door bunkhouse (family of 5). Most seem to be about 34’.

Looking for recommendations of good brands. If you search for reviews it doesn’t seem like anyone is very happy with anything (except for the 2-3 mythical manufacturers that don’t make what we’re looking for). Just hoping to hear some positive experiences.

We camp year round (skiing in the winter). We’ve had good luck doing this in 3-season trailers (heated enclosed underbelly). Also about 70% boondocking.

So far liking the Palomino puma 289 bhs. I like stick and tin trailers and we really like the floor plan. Can’t find anything about the enclosed underbelly being heated, which would be a deal breaker.

Also liked the artic wolf 287 bh. Lots of value for the money - almost suspiciously too much! We liked the layout and seemed weatherproof enough for our needs.

I’d appreciate any input on these choices or others!,

Just a quick view f the specs of the 287 BH shows a 35 gallon grey tank capacity. not enough capacity for 5 in my opinion? Other wise seem OK but 35 gallon grey would be a deal breaker for me especially if you boondock
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Mythical manufacturers" would mean that the manufacturers don't exist. Can you unpack that statement for me a little.

We are on our second Grand Design fifth wheel (first a Reflection and now a Solitude). We were obviously happy with the first GD and our dealer or we wouldn't have have gone back the second time. We've not had any significant issues or warranty work done with either trailer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do a review on the dealer before you buy from them. some dealers are just not good .

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned 3 fifth wheels and only this last one was bought new. Three years ago we bought a Grand Design Reflection 27RL new from a reputable dealer. We were in a hurry to take delivery and leave town on our first trip. The salesman told us to get out and enjoy the trip, shake it down and let them know of any problems.
We had several issues but I believe some of that was just my fault for not checking things out good before we left. Some of the issues I corrected myself and about three others required trips back to the dealership. The most critical was the fresh water holding tank would not hold one gallon of water. The tank had to be replaced. The other critical issue was the brakes had massive amount of thin runny grease leaking out of the seals and all four brake clusters had to be replaced. You cannot remove grease from a brake shoe. Grand Design was very easy to deal with and addressed all of our issues quickly. The dealer was also very good. All RV's are manufactured very rapidly and there are no quality control processes before it leaves the factory. This is dealer responsibility and I did not allow the dealer much time. I highly urge you to be sure the tanks are filled, all plumbing checked out and all valves are working. Be sure all systems function properly!! There will be issues both large and small. Grand Design builds a good trailer and back their product !! Just check everything out real good before you pull it off the dealers lot. Right then is the best time to address issues.