cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin Box again Moryde vs Trailair

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently have a Trailair pin box on my trailer. Not 100% satisfied with it. I am having chucking issues. Have since the trailer was new. This is my second trailer with a Trailair so I am very familiar with them. My last one was a tri Glide and it worked well.
I recently acquired a Moryde pin box that will fit my trailer. I've never towed with one before. Will it be worth my time to swap them out and try it? Would like to hear from those that have had both.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
56 REPLIES 56

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wing_zealot wrote:
bucky and teebone, you realize your responding to a post that's a year old - right?

Does that make it less relevant???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teebone56 wrote:
How much air pressure do you run in your trail air? I find that 40 lbs works good for me I have not found a minimum. Airing up to the arrows 65 lbs is just to stiff anyone else in that neighborhood?

I run 100# and that does not bring it up to the arrow. I only have 6k pin.....
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Teebone56
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
bucky and teebone, you realize your responding to a post that's a year old - right?

I do the .....subject was Trailair...... should I start a new thread?........Mr Moderator
2013 Epic Voltage 3200
2007 Silverado 2500HD CC SB 4X4 6.6 D/A
2017 RZR XPT

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Absurd? I am sure you are referring to me on airing down tires. I said to air for the load! That may require MAX or as my Dually says to air to 65psi for RAWR.

So should I run 80psi???

Like usual my words are twisted to serve ones argument. NICE!

Running max air for no reason is beating up your trailer for no reason as 12V98 writes, especially on duallys. Airing to weight allows the entire unit to ride softer and cures some of the issues mentioned here. Another point to consider, which balloon is easier to pop, the softer one or the one bursting at the seams?
It's funny that this post popped up from almost a year ago. I've been researching which pin box to buy, now I know it's a Morryde. I let the Trailair I had go with the Jayco we sold earlier this year and the Blue Ridge we bought still has the factory pin box on it.
Puma 30RKSS

Teebone56
Explorer
Explorer
How much air pressure do you run in your trail air? I find that 40 lbs works good for me I have not found a minimum. Airing up to the arrows 65 lbs is just to stiff anyone else in that neighborhood?
2013 Epic Voltage 3200
2007 Silverado 2500HD CC SB 4X4 6.6 D/A
2017 RZR XPT

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
^^We bought it used this summer. I don't think it was towed much. Tires looked new. It slammed from day 1. I bought the pinbox rubber from Morryde. I went with a #6. Their MSRP was $199, sold it to me for $149. Just got it this afternoon. The 5th is in the shop getting measured for slide toppers. I'll swap the rubber spring before or after I pull it to Tulsa for the Chili Bowl midget races.

Thanks for the info. Mine is 12 years old, and as said seems to be fine, no slamming . I am curious to the reason why a fairly new trailer would need that rubber spring to be replaced.

It's either because I am right at the rated GVWR, it's somehow damaged, or it's working as designed.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
^^ . I am Jealous Brent.. ! ! ! Enjoy that trip

Probably the best racing experience available. I've been going 15+ years. Starts on Monday night, finishes Saturday night. You will have had enough of racing by Saturday. Usually a few NASCAR guys there...Stenhouse, Algier, Bowman, Larson, and Yelley. Stewart has graduated to driving the tractor doing track work. LOL.
Wouldn't be much to get tickets for next year, buy flight tickets and a hotel. They are probably sold out of assigned seating by July, maybe a few singles. You can always buy a $100 pit pass and sit on the backstretch though.
chilibowl.com
See you at Richmond...
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
^^We bought it used this summer. I don't think it was towed much. Tires looked new. It slammed from day 1. I bought the pinbox rubber from Morryde. I went with a #6. Their MSRP was $199, sold it to me for $149. Just got it this afternoon. The 5th is in the shop getting measured for slide toppers. I'll swap the rubber spring before or after I pull it to Tulsa for the Chili Bowl midget races.

Thanks for the info. Mine is 12 years old, and as said seems to be fine, no slamming . I am curious to the reason why a fairly new trailer would need that rubber spring to be replaced.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We changed from solid to MORryde pin box which eliminated about 50% of the chucking. Then we changed from Lippert cushioned equalizers to MORryde SRE4000--chucking 98% gone. When we went to a larger trailer, I swapped out the rubber block to the next size up. They make about 4 different sizes for different trailer weights. From memory there are about 4 big bolts and 8 small ones to change it. There are You-tube videos. Non of this eliminated the vertical jarring in the tow vehicle when it goes over bumps but the fore/aft chucking from the trailer is gone.

^^ . I am Jealous Brent.. ! ! ! Enjoy that trip
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
If you are considering the Morryde do you know which rubber spring is in it? I think it should have a decal on the side with max GVW. I'm running with about 4100# on the pin and around 17,400 total. Mine is rated for 18,000, so I'm close. My Morryde is slamming on starts and stops. I have a heavier rated rubber spring on the way to replace. On the road my ride is ok.
Just be aware there are different rated springs.

Did that slamming on starts ,and stops just start happening, or has it always done that. Reason I ask ,mine seems fine ,but its got some miles on it, and curious when the rubber spring needs replacing. I replaced the shear springs in the MorRyde suspension they were shot.

Also curious where you got the replacements. The shear springs were all over the place as far as price . MorRyde was the middle of road on price, found them quite a bit cheaper elsewhere .

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering the Morryde do you know which rubber spring is in it? I think it should have a decal on the side with max GVW. I'm running with about 4100# on the pin and around 17,400 total. Mine is rated for 18,000, so I'm close. My Morryde is slamming on starts and stops. I have a heavier rated rubber spring on the way to replace. On the road my ride is ok.
Just be aware there are different rated springs.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend install a trailair pin on his MS fifth. Towing home they had a lot of chucking and unhappy to have the air pin. Later he called and we were or I was thinking when the road made the fifth go up the lighter load let the trailer go back and when the load came down it on slowing down it went forward. Later he called from a mall parking lot after leaving the fifth at an rv park and figured because he had a bar style of hitch it has slop that would allow to do what we figured . It was adjustable and then no more chucking.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110