cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possibly Covering Fifth Wheeler this Winter

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering covering our new 5th wheel this winter. Does anyone have any experience in the northern upper Midwest area where we get snow as to what kind of cover is the best to consider? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
10 REPLIES 10

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine with a blue tarp that is just slightly larger than the roof area. Then tie it down and throw a couple old tires on top to help hold it down until the snow comes. Has worked well for years and keeps a lot of filth off the roof from the nearby pine trees and gives me peace of mind of a little extra protection over those looooooooong winter months.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned, storing indoors is the best answer, however, it is not always realistic for some of us because of distance, cost or accessibility. I also have an Adco Designer cover that has vents in it for the wind. Has held up well for a couple of seasons on our Cameo. you might consider taping round pipe insulation on any sharp edges on the 5th wheel to avoid wear on the cover like the drip edging on the slide outs. You will get some scuffing on the 5th but it buffs out pretty easily in the spring.

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine under a covered pole barn. I was unable to find any storage that would have tall enough doors to fit my rig. Units with 14 foot doors are not 14 feet high...the door when up is much lower and fifth wheels won't fit.
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor NOW and start looking for places that offer indoor storage. Some places may be heated others not. Does not have to be heated. Depending on size of coach, expect to pay 450-550 bucks from say Nov 1 to April 30. Place w/ a concrete floor is best along w/ limited access (owner of storage place itself is best VS a whole bunch people w/ access. Yes a cover (after initial purchase) is cheap compared to a yearly storage fee, but as you've read already, wind is a killer for covers on rigs. Plus w/ indoor storage, don't have to worry about the snow load unless the building collapses. If that happens, you'll have bigger problems. We've had our coach in sig since new in '05 and has never seen snow.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the honest responses. I think you are all correct.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

SH
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand...I will always cover my fifth wheels now that I have tried one. Cumbersome...yes but at 65 I can do this by myself in about 20 minutes on our 37 ft. Alpenlite. Wind can be an issue in our area but have sustained no damage to the RV just a little to the cover itself.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Do not cover RV if in a windy area. I covered mine for the first time last year and there was a lot of damage done. The fenders were broken, the license plate was broken off and there were many scratches on the finish. Also, putting it on and taking it off a 5th. wheel is a multi person operation.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once it gets a layer of snow on it there should be no problem with UV. I would never cover mine. Had a park trailer outside for 10 years. No cover, never a bit of trouble with it. Just leave it alone, it will be fine.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with Don, wind is the enemy, not the snow.

I had an Adco Designer, on previous FW. It was a good cover, used it three winters, before buying new larger FW. I sold the now too small cover, still in good shape. I did not get another. It was a constant battle with the wind, and not fun putting on/ taking off.

If you have a good helper, and keep FW out of the wind, when stored, a cover may work for you.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I would not based on my experience. If you see wind at all a cover can become damages, can damage your RV. They are hard to install and get tight. Heavy and difficult to store.