cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

power awning failure to retract

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
So as evening comes on and the wind picks up your awning starts to rattle and jump. you try to retract it and nothing happens. 12v is good c/b is good now what?
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'
14 REPLIES 14

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Go out to the end of the awning that has the motor on it. Have the other half push the button while you listen for the motor to run. On mine the motor was running but the end cap had stripped out. If that is the case you should be able to jam a piece of wood in there to make it roll up.

I fixed a neighbors with the problem you told about. Poor desigh or cheap metal on in the end cap. I drove a brass rod I flatten to fill the space at the flat area of the cap and motor shaft. Yes it was going to be windy so time was important. A pin though the motor shaft and the end cap would solve this issue.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input.
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cougar that has a remote for the awning and sometimes I have to use that instead of the switch to retract the awning. Can't figure it out.

700g
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
700g wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
Dometic had a recall on some of their awnings a couple years ago. Motor issues.

Reading the manual on mine mentions removing a screw and rolling it up. However, doing so damages something internal and the manual states it must then be serviced.

If you roll the awning up this way the motor will be trashed.....new motor needed

Thats the method Dometic specifies. Haven't heard of any other way if the awning won't go up other than the usual check power, wires, breaker etc.
When Dometic says it will need to be serviced, that translates to a new motor. When you roll the awning up this way it twists the wires to the motor and usually jerks them out of the motor housing. Ask me how I know, LOL

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
700g wrote:
mileshuff wrote:

Reading the manual on mine mentions removing a screw and rolling it up. However, doing so damages something internal and the manual states it must then be serviced.

If you roll the awning up this way the motor will be trashed.....new motor needed

Thats the method Dometic specifies. Haven't heard of any other way if the awning won't go up other than the usual check power, wires, breaker etc.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

700g
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I went through this recently, on my dometic it would go up then stop then after a while it would work and usually if I get Frau Blรผcher to hit the switch thinking the stupid awning just doesn't like me, I checked the wiring and all was good the motor would just stop working and it was suggested that I had a flat-spot in the motor itself so I replaced the motor but it would periodically stall finally I pulled the plastic covers from the inside of the arms to discover that the dealer installation was half-azzed, they used two crimp connectors to connect the power wire where it came out of the wall of the fiver but mostly where the power wire looped over the support arm when retracted I discovered excessive wear at the bend and there was the short! Off to "Handy Andy's" hardware store for 20' of heavy gauge contractor grade two-wire cable, some heat shrink tubing, solder and shrink wrap all the connections properly also I covered all the places where the cable bends with the arms with heat shrink tubing for some extra insurance and that awning has worked like "jack da' bear' ever since!!

Red Green: Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go out to the end of the awning that has the motor on it. Have the other half push the button while you listen for the motor to run. On mine the motor was running but the end cap had stripped out. If that is the case you should be able to jam a piece of wood in there to make it roll up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Chech the wires at the end of the awning where they plug into the motor. Mine pulled loose at the connection once.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
tap on the end with a broom stick while someone depress the switch...might get lucky and get the motor to work one more time
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suspect the switch isn't making contact if the battery and circuit breaker are good. You could try to pull the switch out and bypass it, or manually retract the awning.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kohana wrote:
So as evening comes on and the wind picks up your awning starts to rattle and jump. you try to retract it and nothing happens. 12v is good c/b is good now what?

Read your owner's manual which will describe how to manually retract a power awning. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
That's a really good question.. tie it down as best you can for now.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel