cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propane tanks.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
been looking at new fifth wheels. from the small to the overly large.
one thing they all have in common is the two tanks.
is there a law saying only two per rv? or possible to have three or four of them. sure two can last a while. but like a friend his gen ran on propane, so he ran out fast.
if holding up in the cold, one could maybe rent a large ground tank?
class A and C get larger built in tanks.
but this is just asking why only two tanks per rv.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun
29 REPLIES 29

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Four, 20 pounders in mine, 2 on each side in their own slide out drawers.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tank deal sure doesn't apply where I'm at in Arizona. Also, something to keep in mind, if you have had your tanks re-inspected for the additional 5 years, that will not be accepted in Canada.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Well I don't know about the law, but I tried to get three 30# propane tanks filled this winter and the guy filling the tanks refused the third tank saying it was illegal to have more than 2 in a truck bed. I have no idea if he was correct.
Bring this with you next time.

Limit is five cylinders or 500 kg before you need a placard.

http://www.apollopropane.com/pdf/TransportingPropaneCylinders.pdf

OK, so that's for Canada...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
ok, so no law known saying only two tanks per fifth wheel rv.
good, then when i buy (or build) my next rv i will see about adding in a extra tank or two.
as i am not into park parking. i like to be out away from things, so no "cheap" delivery.
and allows me to buy at the lower cost places.
and if i do a built in gen, will have plenty of fuel for it.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
packnrat wrote:
been looking at new fifth wheels. from the small to the overly large.
one thing they all have in common is the two tanks.
is there a law saying only two per rv? or possible to have three or four of them. sure two can last a while. but like a friend his gen ran on propane, so he ran out fast.
if holding up in the cold, one could maybe rent a large ground tank?
class A and C get larger built in tanks.
but this is just asking why only two tanks per rv.

A lot of the snowbird parks around here in AZ have 100lb tanks all over. The residents just rent them and the trucks swing through the park on a weekly basis topping them off. I know several people who have permanent/long-term sites and they have 150 GAL tanks, or bigger. One guy I know has a 250 gal tank and he has it topped off in Aug/Sept, before he comes down, and it lasts him all winter long. Price in the summer is also about 20-25% cheaper. :B FWIW, we do the same thing on our citrus ranch in the Central Valley, where we have 26 propane-fueled wind machines.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If camping in cool weather (highs @ 20F and colder) even with a well insulated RV, you will use a lot of propane. As we do a lot of cool weather boondocking , we carry a 50 gallon tank ( was a propane fuel tank for a pickup truck), on our extended winter camping trips. It is a bit difficult to move around ( remove from truck or trailer (if pulling doubles) and position for use. Once positioned, we merely run a hose from the tank, to one of the RV propane connections. You still have your regulator and auto tank swap in service. There are several different shapes and sizes of auxiliary propane tanks available on the internet.
“If” you will be stationary for long periods of time, a larger rental tank would be a great option. You could do the same connection as we do with our portable tank.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Dot propane transportation regulations
Propane Regulations. The DOT sets exact limits on the weight of hazardous materials that may be transported before a vehicle is required to have a placard. ... Vehicle placarding is required when the total weight of the cylinders and propane reach a combined weight of more than 1,000 pounds or exceeds 25 20-pound cylinders ...Apr 1, 2012

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one for TX, also 5.

http://blog.texaspropane.com/proper-transportation-and-storage-of-propane-cylinders/

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Well I don't know about the law, but I tried to get three 30# propane tanks filled this winter and the guy filling the tanks refused the third tank saying it was illegal to have more than 2 in a truck bed. I have no idea if he was correct.

The link you posted is from Canada!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Lance trailers has a three tank option so it is obviously doable. I think a tank located more than 7 ft. from the others requires a separate regulator.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We had three (40) pounders on one of our old Tetons (95 model). It came with a Teton installed 6.5 Onan generator, the third (3rd) tank was designated to the generator!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think there is a law, at least not nationally. But 2 tanks just makes sense. One in service, one in reserve or out for refill. Any more than 2 is just a convenience to minimize trips to the filling station.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver