cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proper hook up procedure?

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
No, I'm not looking for dating advice. Happily married for many years.

What's the best practice to keep the trailer from rolling backwards as you back the fifth wheel hitch under the trailer? I'm worried about stressing and jamming the front leveling legs with an aft motion. My 5'er came with a Lippert Ground Control 3.0.

Do you use rubber chocks on the trailer wheels? Can you just jerk out the break-away switch and electrically lock the trailer wheels even if the brake umbilical is not yet attached to the tow vehicle?
48 REPLIES 48

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
I always chock the wheels. I know there's time when I could get by without but by doing it all the time it's becomes a routine and I don't forget when they are needed.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

sunbug
Explorer
Explorer
CHOCKS! Front of wheels and back of wheels.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We just use light weight plastic chocks on the 5er. We chock the tires every time.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ummmm, Barney I messed up with the post and did not paste this first.

Abot X15 by now I always chocks the wheels!!! ALWAYS!!!

No argument, I just do not chock up when it serves no purpose to me. The other side of the coin.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight Wheel Chocks

$7.99

$14.99

Barney 🙂
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
schlep1967 wrote:
...had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin...

You touched on another reason to chock. I also have one of those hitches with the Chinese finger design, and if you aren't pushing rearward on the pin it will fight you when releasing. Actually took me a few trips to figure that out on my own. Now I often travel alone, so I've learned to chock, put the truck in reverse, and get out and release the jaws, then jump back in the cab. Not something you would want to do without chocks in place.

I've witnessed people hammering on their release lever, apparently not having learned that lesson.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
A few years back we were camping at the shore when neighbors showed up after dark. We were sitting around the camp fire and I was trying hard not to be that guy that just has to help. They got their 5th wheel backed in just fine. But watching these two ladies make multiple attempts to unhook and having nothing but problems, I finally gave in and asked if I could help. They were glad to accept my assistance as they thought they just were not strong enough to pull the pin.

So I proceeded to give them a lesson. I said, first thing you need to do is put chocks under the wheels. They looked at me funny. I pointed to my trailer wheels. Apparently Canadians call them "stoppers". They put their stoppers in place. I then had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin. And to make sure they knew they could do it, I had the other one very easily pull the pin. Yes, they already had the legs down. They were very grateful as the back of the site sloped right into the lake. And the way they were going, that was where their camper was going to end up.

No!!! Canadians do not call them stoppers!!! 40+ years Rving and I have NEVER heard that term.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few years back we were camping at the shore when neighbors showed up after dark. We were sitting around the camp fire and I was trying hard not to be that guy that just has to help. They got their 5th wheel backed in just fine. But watching these two ladies make multiple attempts to unhook and having nothing but problems, I finally gave in and asked if I could help. They were glad to accept my assistance as they thought they just were not strong enough to pull the pin.

So I proceeded to give them a lesson. I said, first thing you need to do is put chocks under the wheels. They looked at me funny. I pointed to my trailer wheels. Apparently Canadians call them "stoppers". They put their stoppers in place. I then had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin. And to make sure they knew they could do it, I had the other one very easily pull the pin. Yes, they already had the legs down. They were very grateful as the back of the site sloped right into the lake. And the way they were going, that was where their camper was going to end up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:
:h I have had a fifth wheel parked in the pole barn for storage for over 18 years now on a level cement floor without chocks. Why would I be chocking that thing up?

I don't chock here at home on my driveway storage spot. Never had any issue with it moving when I hitch up. I guess you took "always chock" a little too literally.

For the last couple of years that hasn't been exactly true. I have a 3 x 4 block of wood that I leave sitting on my driveway. It serves as my target when I come back home and park the trailer. I back up until I hit that block and I know I've got the thing sitting exactly where I want it. I guess that acts as half a chock, but it isn't there for that purpose.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
:h I have had a fifth wheel parked in the pole barn for storage for over 18 years now on a level cement floor without chocks. Why would I be chocking that thing up?

So when you drive into the trailer with your tractor you only have to fix the RV, not the back wall of the barn that the RV rolls through. Also, a properly built slab to park vehicles on has a 1/4" per foot slope to drain water that falls off after driving in the rain so many slabs aren't totally flat.

Why do you wear a seatbelt? Why do you have smoke detectors? We do all kinds of things daily that turn out to be totally unnecessary.

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Large, heavy, rubber chocks from Northern Tool, not Harbor Freight or Walmart cheapies.

ON EDIT: Camping World also has some useless ones.

Which model from Northern? I see they offer several.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Since we're on the subject of wheel chocks (not chalks), One thing that I've had to be aware of with having an auto-level system, is that, on occasion, I've had the low-side wheels off the ground, so chocking is useless on that side. Another thing is that when you chock prior to unhitching, then leveling, if you do have tire contact but it's somewhat "unloaded" due to leveling and you kick the chocks tight, you need to remember to pull them back in slightly or you'll either crush them (not happened yet) or you'll not be able to get them out without re-raising the rig up. Yes, I =have= had to do that.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:

Just a good habit so you're hitching/unhitching with the same routine, no matter what.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
austinjenna wrote:
Harbor Freight makes big rubber chocks that are the same as the more expensive ones.

I took a small level and glued it to a small magnet I had and keep that in the side compartment where the propane is and stuck to the frame. After I unhitch and pull the truck away I open the compartment and turn the whole magnet and level it until its level, or just about - thats where I know I need to be when raising the front legs to hook back up. Its cheap and simple and takes the guess work out of it.

Then I just go about and do my normal front to back routine etc... Also I use chocks as everyone else has mentioned.

Brilliant! I know what I'm getting at HF next! 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A