cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pump issues

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for some help here. We bought a 2015 Forest river Wildcat recently. Camper is in fantastic condition but I have a question on the pump. The previous owner replaced it right before selling to us and it seems to have an issue building pressure and a lot of air in the system. Itโ€™s most noticeable when flushing the toilet that it will just keep running sometimes. Youโ€™ll have to turn on another fixture and that fixture will run and spit a lot of air until it runs steadily then when you shut it off the pump will shut off. I hooked it up to city water and ran everything for a while after our first trip with it to get all the air out of the system. Now this trip itโ€™s doing the same thing. No leaks, the pump doesnโ€™t cycle randomly at all. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The inlet connector on my pump had a brass insert, and it developed a micro crack and my system acted a lot like yours. I had to open two faucets to get water flow but as soon as I turn the faucets off that air leak would let the pump lose its prime AND the pump ran constantly. Even the tiniest leak on the inlet side will mess up the system, and I had to pressurize the inlet side to find that crack. I ended up replacing that inlet connector with a genuine plastic one, and never had a problem again. Craig.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dripping is also very likely also the air intake issue. I'd put a filter in, can't hurt.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it's not leaking around the pump at all, I cycled the valves and saw nothing there and when running the pump after adding water it performed perfectly. Shut off right away every time, no issues. But I do think there's a leak at the intake from the fresh water tank that I'll have to look into. Once I added water back into it I did see some dripping from the underbelly. So I'll have to pull that material down so I can see the tank and both the fill and pump intake line.

On another note, there is a sediment filter between the winterize valve and the pump but there's no filter in it. Does that make any sense??

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the quick replys. I will dig into it tonight. Unfortunately I made the mistake of emptying my water tank and parked it where I can't reach it with a hose but I can add water from some jugs and do some investigating.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
like said earlier, check the fill/sanitize/antifreez valves as they could be ou to fproper position. I also one time had pump running without moving water, this was after I was hooked up to city water. Turned it to City water then back and all was fine. Never knew what it was, maybe an air pocket. or somthing. good luck

ejmorgan
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Check the clear plastic screen cover near the pump. Had one freeze and crack once (despite winterizing) and it was pulling in air.

Also, make sure the clear plastic intake filter/debris cup is swiveled so that the cup is lower than the water pipe.

If it is swiveled higher than the water pipe, the cup will create an air pocket. This will cause erratic pressure and water flow problems. (Don't ask how I know this!)

Ed

Ed and Susan Morgan
TT -- 2019 Northwood Nash 24M travel trailer
TV -- 2004 Ford E-350 Extended Van, 6.8L V10, 4-spd. Automatic OD, 3.73 rear axle.
Generator -- Onan 3600 LP

Photo -- Doran Beach in Bodega Bay, Ca.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might also see a leak where it's sucking in air after pump is turned off which will help to locate the problem. Could be anywhere including the hot water tank area.

But first check all of the areas around the replaced pump including the pump.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Check the clear plastic screen cover near the pump. Had one freeze and crack once (despite winterizing) and it was pulling in air.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the valve position on "fill and run" if equipped. Check winterizing anti-freeze suction valve if equipped.
Sucking air on intake side of pump is a good thought. Valves not closed is common problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
A leak on the intake side of the pump?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3