cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about removing black tank

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, With my fifth wheel now permanently setup in the mountains of western NC I'm starting to consider removing the black tank and putting in a flush toilet. Has anyone done this that can advise me on what's involved? Is it a huge job? If I were to pay an rv company to do it, approximately what would they charge for this? I'd prefer to do it myself but at 61 years old with a bad back and rheumatoid arthritis I have to be careful not to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance
20 REPLIES 20

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
importman wrote:
MFL wrote:
I have seen a few rental RVs set up this way at private CGs. Yes, they just run a sloping plastic pipe, until reaching the sewer.

Jerry

That's exactly what I hope to do. Thanks for the response.

Just keep the pipe slope at 1/4" per foot. Too flat or too steep and you will have problems with drainage.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Are you planning to remove the grey tank(s) also or do you plan to continue dumping them on a regular basis?
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
You might not have to remove the whole underbelly material if it’s what I have under mine. Mine is a corrugated plastic material. When I had a broken remote dump valve line repaired they just cut a flap in the underbelly and then taped it back up. No problem.
You would just have to cut a bigger flap to expose the tank. Shouldn’t be that difficult to remove tank. Hooking up new sewer line would be easy. Only issue would be the hole and if new toilet would match up. If not, perhaps one of those old fashion wall mounted tanks if wall could support it.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
As long as the tank isn't sealed up in the underbelly (Ie, you can get to the tank without disassembling a lot of stuff), it shouldn't be a major project.

I think that's probably the biggest issue I'll face. This is one of those 4 season models that's got the underbelly completely enclosed and (I think) insulated, so you can enjoy it in cold weather. I really dread removing the undercover to see what's required. Thanks for the response.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As long as the tank isn't sealed up in the underbelly (Ie, you can get to the tank without disassembling a lot of stuff), it shouldn't be a major project.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You'll have to measure.
The standard distance from the back wall to the center of the flange is 12.0" min.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Another concern I have about this is that the toilet in the rv doesn't have a tank on it and I'm afraid the hole through the floor is too close to the wall behind it for a residential toilet to match up with it. I'd hate to have to figure a way to move that hole forward and fill the original one. Anyone done this or have any ideas about that?

importman
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I wonder if there is room between the toilet, and black tank to install a bypass that could be undone if you decided to sell later.

A very good point. I'm gonna check into that and see if it can be done. I'm thinking it may be possible since the toilet doesn't sit directly on top of the tank like in did in my travel trailer I had previously. Actually, the down pipe from the toilet is pretty long and it makes a 90 Deg turn a little ways down. In fact I have one of those whirly bird cleanout tools that has about 2-2.5 feet of flexible hose and another 2 ft of stiff plastic and when I run it down in there it uses up almost all of it before I get to what I think is the tank. I may just be able to route past the tank and just leave it in place. Thanks for the idea.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
whereumakeit, most folks that do this is to get rid of the RV toilet and put in a residential pottie.

Correct. That's what I plan to do as well. Thanks!

importman
Explorer
Explorer
whereyoumakeit wrote:
There are some good repair shops up in the Western NC area. I've personally used these guys before and had a great experience: https://keepcampingrvrepair.com/

Here are some good toilet options as well: https://whereyoumakeit.com/rv/best-rv-toilet/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response and link. I looked at their site and we're outside of the radius that they say they cover. Plus, if I'm still physically able, I'd like to try to do it myself to save a few bucks. Thanks again.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I have seen a few rental RVs set up this way at private CGs. Yes, they just run a sloping plastic pipe, until reaching the sewer.

Jerry

That's exactly what I hope to do. Thanks for the response.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Cavie and ScottG, That's a good point you bring up about the value of the rv after this is done. In my case it's not really a big concern. It's an 06 model to begin with so it's not extremely valuable either way. Also, it's on a permanent site and we're investing $3500 for a shed to cover it so it's most likely going to be more valuable to someone looking to use it the same way I am. Plus my wife and I had already decided to sell it in place as a vacation spot rather than a mobile rv when the time comes. Thanks for your input!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
whereumakeit, most folks that do this is to get rid of the RV toilet and put in a residential pottie.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if there is room between the toilet, and black tank to install a bypass that could be undone if you decided to sell later.