cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rank the toy haulers

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I think I have the truck part of the equation figured out, but, knowing nothing about the quality of any specific toy hauler, I am asking the members of this forum, if you would, give me your opinions on who makes the better, top of the line toy haulers, and the mid tier toy haulers. Thanks in advance, Cycler
17 REPLIES 17

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went to an RV dealership yesterday and quickly found out how forming opinions from internet browsing can be tricky. Seeing a 20' toy hauler in person, it would never work for us. And, definitely want a forward bedroom. Also, we may go Class C, but if we trailer, I think that a 5th wheeler is something I personally would be more comfortable with. At any rate, I want to say thanks to all who posted in this thread and offered their real world experience, it is appreciated. Regards, Cycler

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Well that shot my suggestion way out of the water...lol

:B :B

Yep. Pretty much blew it away.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used Stealth by Forest River, loading up for first trip this weekend. Seems like a nice unit, finished better inside than my 2007 Jay Flight. Will have some weights after this trip. AK2612, just at 31' long. Reports vary as to long term quality, you can find positive and negative. I had to have a separate bedroom, with at least 2 sides to walk around the bed. You can see pics in my other thread.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Not top or mid but good.

We purchased our new Work and Play 25WB in Febtuary. I have towed it over 7,500 miles, the last 6,000 with a 2016 F250, FX4, 6.2 gas, 373 rear. It won't win any races but we have truly enjoyed our travels. We chose this brand based on cost, less than $25K, a front bedroom and full bath, and sturdy frame construction. We usually carry a golf cart and a 12' kayak. It is typical low end finish inside but has been trouble free. I haven't taken it to a scale but it is advertised dry at 6,700 with a carring capacity of 4,000.
We have had class C, fifth wheels, and a 40' Mountain Aire DP so we are not new kids.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
Eclipse mfg has some very nice pull TH. Check out Genesis TH too.

The Eclipse Attitude 23SAG is one of my favorite bumper pull floor plans as it has a full walkaround front queen. Most front bed models in that size are not walk around.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
21-22ft range typically means no front bed. Move up to the 23+ft range and you'll be thanking yourself in the morning. You have the truck for that size.

Quality amongst the major brands is a bit hit or miss. Not easy to rank them per quality but some brands do tend to stick behind their product better than others. Lance($$) and Jayco(2yr warranty) come to mind. Do a good PDI walkthrough when you purchase and try to find as many items up front as you can because chances are you'll run into some issues. Few units are completly trouble free in the first year. Keep up on periodic roof inspections and any potential for window or plumbing leaks as they will quickly ruin a good trailer (ask me how I know...)

Good luck

My shockwave has a front bedroom. Several other manufacturers have one in 21 footers as well. And that was my one requirement when looking for a trailer.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well that shot my suggestion way out of the water...lol
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Eclipse mfg has some very nice pull TH. Check out Genesis TH too.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
21-22ft range typically means no front bed. Move up to the 23+ft range and you'll be thanking yourself in the morning. You have the truck for that size.

Quality amongst the major brands is a bit hit or miss. Not easy to rank them per quality but some brands do tend to stick behind their product better than others. Lance($$) and Jayco(2yr warranty) come to mind. Do a good PDI walkthrough when you purchase and try to find as many items up front as you can because chances are you'll run into some issues. Few units are completly trouble free in the first year. Keep up on periodic roof inspections and any potential for window or plumbing leaks as they will quickly ruin a good trailer (ask me how I know...)

Good luck
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Shockwave and xlr hyperlight both are good trailers in that size and price range. They aren't the most well built when you pull things apart a little. But that's what you get in that price range.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
21'-22' is a small toy hauler. We're not even considering big high end haulers now.

I would start looking at the Puma Unleashed models. Not too long, in the budget, and light enough. Readily available here on the east coast.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Carriage C-Force is a good quality trailer available in your price range used these days.

Oops Except it weighs 17500 lbs loaded ready to roll...

dedmiston
cycler wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
It would be likely easier to give you some suggestions if you give up some info about what you want to carry, price range, people to sleep, overall length, maximum gvw you can tow.

What he said.

Yep, you are right. I thought about that as I was driving home from work. I posted, in a hurry at work, and then thought about how vague my question is.

Here goes: 2 adults, 1 labrador, 1 Harley, would like to stay around 21-22', budget of 35k. Will be towing with a Ford F250, gas engine, so believe this package should be under 10k lbs. Hope this makes it easier to answer.

I was going to rank them from shortest to tallest. Now I have to start over.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
It would be likely easier to give you some suggestions if you give up some info about what you want to carry, price range, people to sleep, overall length, maximum gvw you can tow.

What he said.

Yep, you are right. I thought about that as I was driving home from work. I posted, in a hurry at work, and then thought about how vague my question is.

Here goes: 2 adults, 1 labrador, 1 Harley, would like to stay around 21-22', budget of 35k. Will be towing with a Ford F250, gas engine, so believe this package should be under 10k lbs. Hope this makes it easier to answer.