Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RATS!

jadednightdrago
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

I own a 2002 Alumascape. For the past month or so, we have been fighting a rat (well, field mouse) problem. We have found several holes (2 caused by these guys, and a bunch left by the good people of Holiday Rambler) that we've closed up. Despite all this, we still heard the darn things.

We have a tripod on ours, as we live in it year round. I was curious if they were some how getting up through the tongue. So I took axle grease and coated the top part of the tripod arms. In the morning we saw tracks from them. So, we've removed the tripod and we're looking for a way to "rat proof" it.

I don't want to use Great Stuff to fill it, due to the cable that comes out of it, so I'm hoping someone may have an idea of what we can do.

Thanks!
Theresa
17 REPLIES 17

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Best Trap: Rat Zapper

I have used them for years on the ranch. It is hard to believe how good they work, but they really do. One little piece of dog kibble for bait lasts a long time because they never even get to lick it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Classic-Trap-Disposal/dp/B002665ZTC
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

jadednightdrago
Explorer
Explorer
I went to get a propane tank filled at Giant Rec, and they said that using great stuff in the tongue wouldn't be an issue, but I'm still a little leary of doing it.

Where can I buy copper wool fairly cheap?

jadednightdrago
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
jadednightdragon wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
The only real way to stop all the madness of mice or rats is 'traps'.

Ya for a couple of days you will be picking up dead rats in a trap but after trying other numerous ways, I have found you just have to bite the bullet and put traps out and be done with it.

since I moved out in the woods I have found they come in waves. If you set traps and kill 'all' that are there, you will be rat free for the year and maybe have to set them again.

My next mission was to find a trap that doesn't try to take your fingers off when setting it and a quick release so you don't have to get anywhere's near their dead bodies like those old wooden/wire traps!

These are the only traps I will use now they are just super to use. So easy to set without it biting you when you set it down like the wood ones. And they catch all of them, no more tripped trap no mouse.

Comes in 'mouse' size and 'rat' size. All plastic. And they WORK.

I have something similar to that. I love these:
I've only caught one. But I've noticed it's only one that keeps getting in.

I still have the tripod off and haven't heard anything. I don't know if it's just us, but we do notice a difference without it.

kerrlakeRoo, we'll probably do the hardware cloth and see if that helps. We've switched to hard dog food, as we were also worried about ants with the sugar. They did go for it, but I think I put a piece that was too big, because they triggered the trap, but it was empty and the food was gone. Though since then we haven't heard anything. Maybe it scared them off? lol.

When I set the traps up, I put a piece to wire on the trap (to prevent them from running off with the **** thing)

. Then put the traps in the dog food bag, shake it up. Then I put gloves on and remove the trap, and set the trap.

I've tried peanut butter, didn't even touch the traps. When I did that powder mixture, I caught one in 5 hours. After that they wouldn't go near it. So I switched bait. I also witched the bait because we were worried about ants.

Really Like your wire trick!
These traps are not cheap and I had a couple of those buggers take the trap with them, made me mad. Will use your wire trick this winter.

BTW, They just LOVE dog treats, those small soft liver ones! It fits right in the little hole in the trap.

The paddle part of the trap is so big that even though they can get the treat right out easily....their little body never makes it out alive! :B

I got that trick from a guy at home depot. I have yet to have one try to steal a trap, but I really don't want to risk it!

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
If you decide to use any steel wool might I suggest using copper instead of steel. The steel will rust and the copper doesn't.

X2 - plus mash a bunch of silicon caulking into the copper wool to hold it in place. Mice don't care for silicon much. I used it around the king pin area of our fifth wheel, then used 1/4" abs plastic as trim cover.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jadednightdragon wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Ya for a couple of days you will be picking up dead rats in a trap but after trying other numerous ways, I have found you just have to bite the bullet and put traps out and be done with it.

since I moved out in the woods I have found they come in waves. If you set traps and kill 'all' that are there, you will be rat free for the year and maybe have to set them again.

My next mission was to find a trap that doesn't try to take your fingers off when setting it and a quick release so you don't have to get anywhere's near their dead bodies like those old wooden/wire traps!

These are the only traps I will use now they are just super to use. So easy to set without it biting you when you set it down like the wood ones. And they catch all of them, no more tripped trap no mouse.

I still have the tripod off and haven't heard anything. I don't know if it's just us, but we do notice a difference without it.

kerrlakeRoo, we'll probably do the hardware cloth and see if that helps. We've switched to hard dog food, as we were also worried about ants with the sugar. They did go for it, but I think I put a piece that was too big, because they triggered the trap, but it was empty and the food was gone. Though since then we haven't heard anything. Maybe it scared them off? lol.

When I set the traps up, I put a piece to wire on the trap (to prevent them from running off with the **** thing)

. Then put the traps in the dog food bag, shake it up. Then I put gloves on and remove the trap, and set the trap.

I've tried peanut butter, didn't even touch the traps. When I did that powder mixture, I caught one in 5 hours. After that they wouldn't go near it. So I switched bait. I also witched the bait because we were worried about ants.

Really Like your wire trick!
These traps are not cheap and I had a couple of those buggers take the trap with them, made me mad. Will use your wire trick this winter.

BTW, They just LOVE dog treats, those small soft liver ones! It fits right in the little hole in the trap.

The paddle part of the trap is so big that even though they can get the treat right out easily....their little body never makes it out alive! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jadednightdrago
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

When I set the traps up, I put a piece to wire on the trap (to prevent them from running off with the **** thing). Then put the traps in the dog food bag, shake it up. Then I put gloves on and remove the trap, and set the trap.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to use any steel wool might I suggest using copper instead of steel. The steel will rust and the copper doesn't.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rats and mice can still get up into their entrance hole by crawling up the tires or any other object that hangs to the ground.
My trailer sits in the trailer shed out by the barn so mice/field rats are around 352 days a year.
I use hardware cloth over all holes and louvers and lots of spray foam closing any cracks that insects and rodents can use to get into the trailer.
I use Tomcat baits in the barn and trailer shed. The bait forces them to seek water. With no water they leave the barns and later die.

I keep a mouse trap/peanut butter just inside the trailers door and check it maybe once a week. Its rare one is in the trap but if I trap one I set out 2-3 more till the family is all trapped out. Then I look for and seal the entrance hole.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
remember a mouse can get threw a hole the size of a dime, traps ,to catch them , fresh cab ,and peppermint oil to keep them away , never seen that style trap looks good. just a dap of peanut butter on the trap will get them .

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For the opening you could cut hardware cloth, and attach it. On the bait, just stop using the sugar bait before spring or you will be attracting ants and roaches.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard peppermint spray works.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just get rid of the tripod for awhile and see if it helps. Tripods don't much for stability anyway.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jadednightdrago
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure the present visitors have left, as we haven't heard anything. But we still have a whole bunch of traps everywhere. They got behind the wall radio in the living room.

I would be using a lot of steel wool, because there's the side holes. Do you think mesh fencing would work? Inside our tongue there's two opening that go along above the tongue, and I think that's where they're coming in. I've attached a pic, if that helps.

If anyone is having this issue, these traps are THE BEST! I've tried using the traditional ones, and just about broke all my finger tips. I've done equal part baking soda, flour and sugar.

Edit: For some reason the pic won't show, so here's a link: Tongue Pic