cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-level 5er with lippert hydraulics

Carls_wood_work
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer needs to be re-leveled after sitting in our spot for 6 months. I have found a wealth of info on the system but nothing about re-leveling. Do the slides need to be in? Do I need to be in manual mode? Can I just push Auto Level? Need help
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And just when I thought the OPs question was totally ridiculousโ€ฆ.4 pages later I donโ€™t understand why it was a question to begin with but apparently this is another one of those perplexing thingsโ€ฆ.
Walking and chewing gum must also be difficult for some folks who have 5vers too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
I'm with Cummins, have never hit Auto Level after it's been leveled. If I need a minor adjustment, just put it in Manual and make my adjustments.
I learned a lot about the system when I had it retofitted to my 2010 Montana at the TrailAir Facility and talking to the designer of the system.

With 6k pin weight on a marginal system for such a heavy RV I am not going to stress the system by using AUTO.

My RV has two stick on small levels. I used my Laser Level under my RV and adjusted it to perfect "LEVEL" measuring from bottom of the frame at the 4 outer corners. I then applied adhesive to the back of the levels and taped them on "LEVEL". Me being a Commercial perfectionist Carpenter for 35 years likes "LEVEL".

I pulled onto out Southern lot around Thanksgiving and a couple days ago my wife said the bathroom door is swing out so I went outside and sure enough the levels were slightly off and a couple bumps of the buttons it was perfect again and the wife was happy.

The Auto system even if calibrated is not as precise as my system.

First pis is front to back "LEVEL" and second is side to side "LEVEL". I can get mine level just as fast as AUTO but it's not the point.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with Cummins, have never hit Auto Level after it's been leveled. If I need a minor adjustment, just put it in Manual and make my adjustments.
I learned a lot about the system when I had it retofitted to my 2010 Montana at the TrailAir Facility and talking to the designer of the system.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some of the Andersen red round blocks that came with the trailer. I used them several times and then I was flummoxed when one time they wouldn't work. The nose couldn't go down low enough to start the AutoLevel I guess. I took them off, used a couple three of the yellow square blocks and all was well. After I did some more research I started to recognize when I could use the Andersen blocks and when they put the nose too high. Live and learn.

And I'm also unsure about the incremental AutoLevel, but Stickdog says it just relevels and doesn't start from square one. That sounds like a win to me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I still think that hitting AutoLevel is the way to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

i will admit that I have never hit auto level to just move it a tiny bit so I can't say mine will dip. I can only say it sure drops when I have unhooked from truck and hit auto.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I see what you're saying, and I believe you and Cummins12V98 could be correct. I was laboring under the misapprehension that the levelers will stay where they are set. You're saying that they will level themselves like they do when the pump is running. More weight on the left will cause the left to lower and the right to raise as the pressure equalizes. That sounds reasonable. I was simply too blind to see it.

But I can see raising the left and right could cause the front levelers to become unweighted evenly, hence the trailer would be supported mainly on the center/rear levelers on both sides. But you would almost have to do that deliberately.

I apologize humbly to Cummins12V98. In this instance he was right and I was dead wrong. Sometimes it really does help to consult the brain before engaging the mouth. I hate being wrong, but you'd think I'd get used to it after all these years. ๐Ÿ™‚

Again, I'm very sorry Cummins12V98. Beers are on me.

You are a real MAN I say!!! Thank you for your kind words.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Well said, Ryder.
I once had an occasion when the auto level lowered the landing gear all the way (due to slope) and kept trying to lower. I canceled auto and went to manual. Raising the rear caused all 4 jacks to contact ground then lift the rear. Then I could raise the front a little creating front to rear level. Then the left side needed raised a little for side to side level. Raising the left side caused all 3 left side jacks to extend in unison.
I've only had the 6 jack system since March and that was my first and only time manually leveling.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still think that hitting AutoLevel is the way to go. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see what you're saying, and I believe you and Cummins12V98 could be correct. I was laboring under the misapprehension that the levelers will stay where they are set. You're saying that they will level themselves like they do when the pump is running. More weight on the left will cause the left to lower and the right to raise as the pressure equalizes. That sounds reasonable. I was simply too blind to see it.

But I can see raising the left and right could cause the front levelers to become unweighted evenly, hence the trailer would be supported mainly on the center/rear levelers on both sides. But you would almost have to do that deliberately.

I apologize humbly to Cummins12V98. In this instance he was right and I was dead wrong. Sometimes it really does help to consult the brain before engaging the mouth. I hate being wrong, but you'd think I'd get used to it after all these years. ๐Ÿ™‚

Again, I'm very sorry Cummins12V98. Beers are on me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder, Cummins12V98 is correct. Once all 6 jacks have a load, they work in unison and never bind. Naturally, when you raise/lower the rear, the front jacks do NOT move. Same when you raise/lower the front - the rear jacks do NOT move. And the same for raising/lowering the left or right sides. Think about what you are saying.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
stickdog wrote:
I can tell when our trailer is out of level just by walking back to front. I'll just go to the panel and turn the system on and it will say "out of level". I hit auto level it does its thing and all is well and level. I try to not overthink things gets you into more trouble than out.
Ah, you can settle a disagreement: does the Autolevel go through its total cycle, or does it just move enough to relevel?

TIA

It doesn't go through the whole setup like dropping the front end I just push Auto level and pump makes pump noise trailer moves, pump stops diodes say checking for level, then "Success".
Well, I guess we'll go with what people say who actually do it. Guess that "If you hit AUTO the nose will dive and go thru the whole auto level process." statement posited as fact is WRONG. Wonder what else was incorrect?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
stickdog wrote:
I can tell when our trailer is out of level just by walking back to front. I'll just go to the panel and turn the system on and it will say "out of level". I hit auto level it does its thing and all is well and level. I try to not overthink things gets you into more trouble than out.
Ah, you can settle a disagreement: does the Autolevel go through its total cycle, or does it just move enough to relevel?

TIA

It doesn't go through the whole setup like dropping the front end I just push Auto level and pump makes pump noise trailer moves, pump stops diodes say checking for level, then "Success".
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Well, maybe yours does that, but my front levelers are completely independent of the center/rear levelers when in Manual"

I did NOT say the fronts were part of the rears but they DO adjust when the side is raised or lowered if they did not the frame would be in a twisted condition. Front legs equalize to the side by side created by the rears. We agree now?

The sides adjust to each other also so one is not supporting more than the other.
Nope, we totally disagree. I have worked with mine when I was changing tires, and I can positively tell you that my sides will move independently of one another. I can raise one side, but not the other. I can raise one side, and not the front.

And what you stated: "I did NOT say the fronts were part of the rears but they DO adjust when the side is raised or lowered if they did not the frame would be in a twisted condition." is incorrect. The fronts, on my trailer, do not adjust when the side is raised or lowered, which leads to my statement that Manual adjustments can lead to a frame that is not equally supported by all levelers.

This is the way mine works, yours must work differently. But please don't presume to tell me how mine works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Well, maybe yours does that, but my front levelers are completely independent of the center/rear levelers when in Manual"

I did NOT say the fronts were part of the rears but they DO adjust when the side is raised or lowered if they did not the frame would be in a twisted condition. Front legs equalize to the side by side created by the rears. We agree now?

The sides adjust to each other also so one is not supporting more than the other.