cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver shank pin destroyer..?

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Am I the only one that literally destroys pins..?

When it comes time to disconnect my WW FSW32 13,000gvw, sometimes have to hammer out the bent mangled pin. Using a Husky 14,000 wd hitch, but have used a Reese and a Draw Tite with the same exact results.

Every trailer store/department I go to, I look for the best pin they sell and buy it. Seems a pin that is meant for the 2.5" receiver are harder to find. Was at Harbor freight and saw a 'advertised' heavy duty 2.5" receiver lock pin, its black and looks like its hardened steel. Looks good. Have had it in the TH tool box for a couple years now. Scared to try it...lol.
The pin that came with the truck seems to be best so far, but still bends badly.

Got a 2014 F350 cc Platinum tow truck. It has the 2.5" receiver. I'm guessing using the 2" to 2.5" adapter sleeve the truck came with is maybe the problem...? I've seen the note from Ford saying when using the sleeve the max tongue weight is reduced to 1000lbs, and I know I'm way over that.

About to buy a Reese 2.5" wd 17,000lb, 1700tw hitch that won't need the sleeve to be used. Wondering if the bent pin syndrome will continue with the new hitch...?
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum
13 REPLIES 13

Johnnytree
Explorer
Explorer
I've had trouble with the hitch hole egging out too. And I've noticed I get a slight bend with any pin I use. I found this hitch pin Trimax hitch pin seems to holding up pretty good. It's rated for up to 40,000 pounds
2006 F250
2006 W.W FSC2800
2006 Raptor 700R Mine
2009 Polaris RZR 800 with 6" long travel suspension Wife

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
How about having a sleeve welded to your existing shank, eliminating the need for the floating sleeve, essentially making your existing shank 2.5" OD?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Bedlam
I think you just need to find a shank with a 2" width to fit the hitch head and 2.5" shaft to fit the receiver. I didn't dig deep into my search results, but sites like eTrailer, Dwyers and AdventureRV had a lot of hits.

I prefer a solid shank verses profiled or hollowed even if it is heavier and has no capacity advantage. The contact of the full surface area will reduce play and wear on the components.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
i have an 09 chevy and i run the gm sleeve, i also have a reese sleeve but i get more play out of that then the oem sleeve. my trailer is not as big as yours but i have never had an issue with my sleeve, that thing is in there so good i have to hammer it from the back to get it out so i just leave the sleeve in all the time with a pin in it. maybe check the sleeve or if ford has an oem one. i think the gm sleeve was about $10 more then the reese but its alot better. i plan on getting a 2 1/2 inch shank before season starts.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
2.5" shanks are available from other manufacturers around $150. Is there something unique about the Husky that does not allow use of Valley, Curt, Reese, Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox or others?

Good idea...
Well, not exactly sure what will work. Every hitch place I've talked to doesn't know and recommends a complete new 2.5 hitch...
Hoping someone that has done this chimes in.
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

Bedlam
2.5" shanks are available from other manufacturers around $150. Is there something unique about the Husky that does not allow use of Valley, Curt, Reese, Equal-i-zer, Blue Ox or others?

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies...

Its not egged out receiver pin holes because its happened on numerous brand new trucks/sleeves with the 2.5" receiver...

I agree with those that said its the 2.5-2" sleeve insert thats causing the problem, since never had this issue on a 2" receiver.

Talked to Husky about a replacement 2.5" shank for my Husky 14,000 wd hitch. The guy told me last New Years that the new shank I need will be out in a month and gave me the part numbers.
Husky part #
32459_ 2.5" shank (fits existing Husky 2" wd 14,000 hitch)

32464_ complete 15,000# wd hitch kit with 2.5" shank.

Called Husky beginning of last week and asked for the part#32459 2.5" shank and the girl said its still being produced in China, sorry. And they have no idea when it will get here. But the complete new 2.5" hitch is available.
I told her a gentleman at Husky told me last winter it would be ready in a month. I asked if she could find out when it would be available, she said no. I then asked can you please sell me a shank out of a new hitch then replace once they get the 32464 order in. She said no way, sorry, you should just buy the complete new hitch kit.
I'll never buy Husky again.
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

1slomofo
Explorer
Explorer
i have never damaged a pin in the least... the pin usually does damage to my receiver! (egging the holes)

-2015 32SAG Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I've never had a pin get damaged in any manner.

+1 Neither have I.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had a pin get damaged in any manner.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Bedlam
Are your receiver holes egging out? This would cause slop in your stinger and bend the pins.

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any issues with the pin, I have been using the same pin for 10 years. I'm about 11,500 loaded, 14k ball on a WD hitch with 1400 lb bars. If I ever replace the truck I will upgrade to that same 17k unit.

I would blame the adapter.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
Am I the only one that literally destroys pins..?

When it comes time to disconnect my WW FSW32 13,000gvw, sometimes have to hammer out the bent mangled pin. Using a Husky 14,000 wd hitch, but have used a Reese and a Draw Tite with the same exact results.

Every trailer store/department I go to, I look for the best pin they sell and buy it. Seems a pin that is meant for the 2.5" receiver are harder to find. Was at Harbor freight and saw a 'advertised' heavy duty 2.5" receiver lock pin, its black and looks like its hardened steel. Looks good. Have had it in the TH tool box for a couple years now. Scared to try it...lol.
The pin that came with the truck seems to be best so far, but still bends badly.

Got a 2014 F350 cc Platinum tow truck. It has the 2.5" receiver. I'm guessing using the 2" to 2.5" adapter sleeve the truck came with is maybe the problem...? I've seen the note from Ford saying when using the sleeve the max tongue weight is reduced to 1000lbs, and I know I'm way over that.

About to buy a Reese 2.5" wd 17,000lb, 1700tw hitch that won't need the sleeve to be used. Wondering if the bent pin syndrome will continue with the new hitch...?

I'd say you should step up to the 2.5" insert, probably too much clearance is bending the pin since the insert floats and really is only there to center the 2" insert. That's just my thoughts though. Maybe you can just by that part of the WD head and not have to replace the entire head.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX