cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations on a +/- 30 footer for a family?

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Little background. Have gone from truck camper to travel trailer. Have three dogs on the small size, biggest one being the size of a small border collie. A 19 month old, and weโ€™ve recently learned another one on the way.

Looking to get into a fifth wheel possibly for our next camper and have a bunch of time to figure it out, but hopefully getting something this year, pending all the other things going on around us.

Tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW long bed diesel, so not limited in that way as far as Iโ€™m concerned given the size Iโ€™m looking at.

I have RV parking on the side of our house. Travel trailer currently sits there and is 28 feet from ball to back of spare tire and sits a couple feet back from the gate. I have no problem with squeezing something back there. Not sure exactly on what I could get away with at this time. But 31 feet shouldnโ€™t be a problem and Iโ€™m pretty sure that 35 feet would be too long.

Couple things Iโ€™ve been looking at and liking just tonight are the Sprinter line that keystone has. Would like to keep the out the door price at around a โ€œfamily friendlyโ€ $35,000. Am open to looking at and for older stuff too. Doesnโ€™t have to be new. But would like something thatโ€™s known for quality as far as looking at older stuff.

Looking at all RVs and YouTube videos of walkthroughs is kind of a hobby of mine so Iโ€™m aware of a lot as far as brands and reliability of certain things. Something from Grand Design would be nice but might be a little more expense than I am willing to incur in the next year.

So, as far as personal experience with a family of four plus dogs, does anyone have suggestions of what I should look into?

Few quick notes, slides are fine anywhere as long as I can get to the fridge and preferably the pantry also when they are in. Not a lot of room to open up, load up, then close up and go. Has to be a two way fridge, lot of boondocking so residential wonโ€™t work. Bathroom should be accessible with slides in. Main bed should be usable with slides in. Would prefer a couch and dinette over theatre seats and a table. Lastly, if itโ€™s doable in othersโ€™ experience, I know itโ€™s difficult to find a bunk model in the lengths Iโ€™m looking at, so Iโ€™m not sure itโ€™s necessary to have those dedicated beds. Still new to being a parent and the one still sleeps in a pack and play type crib when camping, so maybe itโ€™s possible to just let the kids have the floor or the couch that makes into a bed in the main living area???

Suggestions for models I should check out? Hopefully if nothing else this is an interesting topic for people to think on and give their opinions.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
13 REPLIES 13

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a bunk house that is 32' long. Older, but lots of models with a similar design. I would definitely look at a bunk house or toy hauler as your kids will not get smaller, only bigger. Lately I really like the mid bunk, which might work great with a crib, but I think they are longer than what you are looking for, as are many toy haulers with a separate garage. All I can say, as is the kids get older, they need their separate space. So, unless you plan to upgrade again in a couple years, get what you need now.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have triplet 8 y.o. boys and a dog, and we really love our Grand Design Reflection 28 bh with the double bunk beds. The 2021 models have a different 3 bunk design that might work out better for you. Another nice thing about this design is the kitchen is fully accessible with the main slide in. This is very convenient when we need to stop for lunch.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
getpower1 wrote:

Has to be a two way fridge, lot of boondocking so residential wonโ€™t work.

I suggest you rethink this ! Solar, especially DIY is MUCH more affordable and the benefits of a residential refrigerator are HUGE as your family grows.

Unless you camp in area that have a lot of shade, or camp during the time of year where a furnace needs to run more than just an hour in the AM to knock the chill off, forget propane !

With a 2500W-3000W portable generator, FOUR golf cart batteries and a quality combination inverter, charger, automatic transfer switch and a DC-DC charge for on-the-road charging. Probably have to charge the batteries for an hour or so in the AM and another hour or so before dark.

What exactly are the benefits of a residential fridge when you just use the trailer for vacations? Like I could understand having one if you full time, but otherwise, I don't see the benefit. Someone before has mentioned space... I fit enough food for an 8 day vacation in our RV fridge, with room left over. It also sure would stink to run out of power with a residential fridge with no option to switch to another method (ie propane).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
Try to find a used Arctic Fox 27.5L. It's the length you want (mine is 28'). The newer ones might be slightly longer. Fridge, sink, bathroom and bed are all accessible with slides in. Dinette might be hard to find because everyone seems to order with table/chairs but I'm with you on that one. It's built like a tank but you have the truck for it. Good luck!

Any north woods products are always on my short list. Iโ€™ll look into it, thanks
2003 Aljo 259LT

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Try to find a used Arctic Fox 27.5L. It's the length you want (mine is 28'). The newer ones might be slightly longer. Fridge, sink, bathroom and bed are all accessible with slides in. Dinette might be hard to find because everyone seems to order with table/chairs but I'm with you on that one. It's built like a tank but you have the truck for it. Good luck!
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
getpower1 wrote:

I suggest you rethink this ! Solar, especially DIY is MUCH more affordable and the benefits of a residential refrigerator are HUGE as your family grows.

Unless you camp in area that have a lot of shade, or camp during the time of year where a furnace needs to run more than just an hour in the AM to knock the chill off, forget propane !

With a 2500W-3000W portable generator, FOUR golf cart batteries and a quality combination inverter, charger, automatic transfer switch and a DC-DC charge for on-the-road charging. Probably have to charge the batteries for an hour or so in the AM and another hour or so before dark.

I appreciate that, however I donโ€™t think solar is something Iโ€™m interested in at this time. Not that there isnโ€™t a place for it. We use our rv mainly on weekends only but for one week of vacation a year and the rest of the time itโ€™s unplugged. Not to mention where we go camping, the generator is on 90% of the time to run the air conditioning...if not for us, for the dogs. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s something I want to invest money into at this time.
2003 Aljo 259LT

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
getpower1 wrote:

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
A few of the Jayco Eagle HT models are shorter. They're probably a bit over your price range for brand new, but you may find a decent used one that's just a couple years old.

We ended up with the smallest Montana High Country because of the gen prep option, but I really liked the Grand Design Reflection 150 series. The layouts seemed efficient, but still short in length. We probably would have gotten one if they offered Gen Prep as an option. We had similar requirements to you for the slides... accessing the bathroom/bedroom and being able to get to the fridge. We can't get to the pantry but that's OK most of the time.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
CONGRATS on upcoming arrival !!!!!!

Thank you, we appreciate it!

To all, a toy hauler is definitely an option. Though I havenโ€™t seen a lot of units in our size range. I still have to look into the Carbon model to see if it would fit the bill. Attitude has one Iโ€™m interested in but I have concerns about quality, especially in a used one...not to mention itโ€™s a little out of my price range.
2003 Aljo 259LT

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Kids: Bathroom layout is a priority. Tub needed.
2. Kitchen layout. Does it suit the cook?
3. Children's beds. @ 19 months and a newborn, bunks might not be suitable.
4. Parents bed. Corner beds SUCK, especially with having to get up and feed an
infant at 3AM. Crawling over someone in an electric toyhauler bed sucks too.
5. I'm sold on the quality of aluminum framed, aluminum exterior smooth sided
units. No wood to rot. Not filon to delaminate.
6. Heated tanks. Can save a winter outing. Three season units are built more
robustly.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
With the size of your โ€œgroupโ€ ......perhaps a quality (smaller) toy hauler with the elevator bed option in the garage. Plus, weather permitting....the large deck can give a bit more square available footage. While they may not have much โ€œblingโ€, they offer practicality in sleeping large numbers. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might consider a toy hauler with beds that raise to the ceiling. That gives you bunkhouse living as the kids grow. If you need to leave the dogs behind, the garage can be a good place for them to stay as the rubber floor makes it easier to clean up any accidents (make sure air/con cools the garage).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
CONGRATS on upcoming arrival !!!!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"