cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing holes in walls or mollys for tv mount

rjs3118
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, I tried to locate studs in my bedroom wall using a stud finder so I could mount a TV. Turns out there's nothing but plywood and styrofoam in my walls. I now have two holes that I need to repair/conceal or use. Anyone used the plastic mollys that spread open to mount a TV(I've tried the kind that screw in but they just chew up the wood)? If I can't use these existing holes, any suggestions on how to repair or conceal the holes? I know wood filler would work but I was hoping for something more inconspicuous and less noticable. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One solution for cover up the oops could be the tape that is used to cover adjoining sheets of luan wall panelling *if* you can get in a matching color. The tape is about an inch wide.

One easy way to find the backers is by using a magnet. Some folks have used a piece of wood, plywood or even sheet metal to span a couple of studs. You may not have studs if you have a fiberglass sided FW tho.

I like RV Oscar rivets for securing heavy things. They're a type of blind rivet and have a high holding power. They'd work if you use a piece of sheet metal on the wall and then rivet that to the wall and mount the TV to that. Just paint the sheet metal a color of your choice to blend in.

What you do will depend on the size and weight of the TV and whether or not you're using an articulating mount.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
If no one has suggested it yet, have you considered toggle bolts? They're the ones with the butterfly wings that pop open behind the wall when you insert them into the wall.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Generally, if you want to mount a TV to a bedroom wall, there will be a specific place marked for doing so. Might have to call the mfr with your VIN to get that, but I've seen a =lot= of RVs that have a sticker on the wall saying "TV Mount Here". G*d forbid that they mount one at the factory.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Kjax
Explorer
Explorer
If you are useing metal mollys be sure to use ones for thin walls. You will see two holes on the shoulder of molly there is a small tool with two tips to go in the holes to keep the molly from spinning, if you do not have the tool use needle nose plyers.

Jram
Explorer
Explorer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My wife put a little pressure on the shelf along side our bed and it pulled the screws through the 1/8" paneling. I thought it was ridiculous that there was no backing where they mounted stuff. I don't know if there is any hardware that would support a TV on that thin paneling.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Togglers by Hilti. I buy them by the box of 100 but maybe you can find them or something similar at a hardware store. The advantage of Togglers over Mollys is that the screw can be removed without the fixture falling behind the wall. I use them to mount grab bars in bathrooms. The disadvantage is that the wall has to be at least 1/4 inch thick.
The holes can be filled with something called Patch and Prime. A mesh patch is put across the hole and the spackle covers it up. No priming needed. Just paint over it.
Maybe just a visit to an Ace hardware store would give you more ideas.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is very simple to put pictures into your post on these forums.
To post photos do the following:

1. Upload your photo, one at a time, to this site.

2. Copy the resulting URL.

3. Paste the URL directly into your post with NO modifications. Do not add or subtract anything from the URL.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on these forums. Do the same for each additional photo.

You just Upload, copy, and paste.
If you would like to practice doing that, just go to this thread that I started in the DIY forum to try out the app.

This app was developed by one of our own moderators to simplify the posting of pictures. All that needs to be done is upload your picture to our site, then paste the resulting URL into your posts.

Could not be much more simple to do than that! 🙂 You don't even have to worry about the size of the photo as the software will re-size it to our forum recommendations.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rjs3118
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Post a picture of what you have, and we will recommend a fix.

How can I upload it (I only see an option for a storage link)?
Would you guys recommend a spray foam in the hole and then to cover it with wood filler?

Can anyone recommend a type of Molly that has worked so I don't have to patch these and then create new holes?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Post a picture of what you have, and we will recommend a fix.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Stuff the holes with whatever, fill with foam, cover with a bit of spackling, then finish as needed with paint or plastic.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rjs3118
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks but I'd like to fix the holes not just cover them

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the picture.

Isn't amazing how there are no studs? Not really though. It's called the least costl (think cheap and quick) construction. Only place there will be 'studs' is where something attaches outside or inside and 'studs' is a relative term. More like 1" square strips of ripped pine, stapled (not screwed) together. The RV industry loves air staple guns, Number 2 or 3 grade construction pine and quick assembly.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Find a picture you like and stick on the wall with double sided tape.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT