cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residence refrigerator

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried using a residence refrigerator? If so have you used dry ice for cooling while traveling?

Thanks and happy camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a KitchenAid full size Residential frig. It's ran by two 6v batteries and a 1,000 watt inverter. Stays at 0 and 38 no problem no matter how long I tow.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
If its already at temperature, along with what you stuff in it, it should hold acceptable temps for at least 2 days if you dont open the door.

NO ! Well if you are Camping in COLD weather maybe.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
Funny you should mention that. We just recently replaced our Dometic with a Magic Chef 10.1 cu ft residential one. The instructions say to not run it on any kind of inverter. I did a test last week by turning the refrigerator off to see how long it would stay cold. When I turned it off at 12:21pm, the freezer was at 9 degrees and the refrigerator was at 38. When I checked it 4 hrs later the temps were at 42 and 55 degrees. The refrigerator was totally empty so I plan to put frozen ice packs in there and retest today.

We are in the process of replacing our Dometic 8 cu.f.t with a Frigidaire 10 cu ft. I also read in the Magic Chef manual about don't install in RV and don't use a inverter. The Frigidaire forgot to state that in their manual. We will be using the 1000/2000 watt modified sine wave inverter in our trailer that has been running a small 4.3 cu.ft. refer for about three years .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you should mention that. We just recently replaced our Dometic with a Magic Chef 10.1 cu ft residential one. The instructions say to not run it on any kind of inverter. I did a test last week by turning the refrigerator off to see how long it would stay cold. When I turned it off at 12:21pm, the freezer was at 9 degrees and the refrigerator was at 38. When I checked it 4 hrs later the temps were at 42 and 55 degrees. The refrigerator was totally empty so I plan to put frozen ice packs in there and retest today.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I have BUT it was in a NoNold refer. Very little temp drop in a residential refer if you keep the doors closed. Did your 2012 5er not come with an inverter to power it? My 21 cuft requires 9 amps DC to power it when running less than half the time. Donโ€™t you have a battery charging wire from your truck?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
If its already at temperature, along with what you stuff in it, it should hold acceptable temps for at least 2 days if you dont open the door.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residential refrigerator in mine. I installed a inverter to run the refrigerator while traveling. Two hybrid 12V marine batteries will run refrigerator about 12 hours. That usually covers most travel times where I vacation. For those trips that require more hours, I have a small inverter generator in the bed of my truck.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4