cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

residential fridge

mickey48
Explorer
Explorer
i would like toswapout my norcold fridge for residential. but would like to see how i need toinstall my inverter?
14 REPLIES 14

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Wizard, shore power goes through inverter to breaker panel. Inverter can limit shore current, but unfortunately only on Line 1.
Yes, fridge has its own breaker.
The charger part of the inverter has only been turned on once, that was after 2 solid days of rain when I had to run the generator.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume not much off-grid camping. Otherwise need minimum two group 27 batteries and a 1000 watt sine wave inverter. Mount the inverter close to the battery but not too close with the recommended 12v wire. Use a small transfer switch to connect the 120v power into the fridge circuit.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:

To answer the inverter question, we wired our 3kw inverter direct to the breaker panel and the inverter never gets shut off.

So how does your shore power cable connect to the AC breaker panel ?

If you have a combination inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch it would connect directly to the inverter.

Cptnvideo wrote:

But we could always shut off the fridge breaker if it was ever necessary to conserve a few amp hours. Our fridge uses 15ah.

I am guessing you mean that the fridge has its own 15A breaker.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
Check our signature. We have 618ah of batteries plus solar. Fridge overnight consumption is about 180ah give or take time of year and daylight hours.

Hence my earlier comment about battery upgrades probably being necessary.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Real life numbers from Cptnvideo IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
Our fridge uses 15ah.

15 AH would be 360 AH per day - Roughly the capacity of 4 large deep-cycle batteries.

Check our signature. We have 618ah of batteries plus solar. Fridge overnight consumption is about 180ah give or take time of year and daylight hours.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
Our fridge uses 15ah.

15 AH would be 360 AH per day - Roughly the capacity of 4 large deep-cycle batteries.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't plug in most of the time, get your batteries and solar system up to snuff before you get the fridge. Otherwise you'll be running your generator a bunch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We replaced the 18cf Norcold with a 20cf Whirlpool. The RV fridge was tight going out the door as was the res fridge going in. We removed the steps and backed up the pickup to the door to help the transition.
To answer the inverter question, we wired our 3kw inverter direct to the breaker panel and the inverter never gets shut off. But we could always shut off the fridge breaker if it was ever necessary to conserve a few amp hours. Our fridge uses 15ah.

Edit: I should add that we are fulltimers.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I've found my residential fridge stays cool enough during travel days without the Inverter on.

I'll bet your ice cream gets soft !

Skibane wrote:
If you plan on running the fridge for more than a day or two without AC hookups, you're probably going to also need to see about installing a larger RV battery bank.

Lots of variable ! How big is the refrigerator ? What is the ambient temp ? How efficient is the inverter (sine wave only!) ? How long might you go without shore power ?

A pair of 6V golf cart batteries would probably get you through 8-10 hours of driving if you DON'T OPEN THE DOOR ! Anything more, like making lunch or getting cold beverage out while on the road, and you had better have FOUR 6V golf cart batteries. You should be able to go overnight with that !

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm more curious how you plan to get a residential fridge into your camper...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan on running the fridge for more than a day or two without AC hookups, you're probably going to also need to see about installing a larger RV battery bank.

Typical power consumption of a residential fridge is around 1.5 KWH per day.

A typical large deep-cycle RV battery (Group 27 or 31) can supply around 1 KWH.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
I never had any problem traveling for a day with the fridge off. It will stay cool for a long time.
al

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've found my residential fridge stays cool enough during travel days without the converter on.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD