cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential W/D?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Forgive me if this has been asked before, our FW is equipped with W/D hookups. It's spec'd for side by side but I imagine an all in one or stackable would work too. As we shop for them, does it have to be an RV specific set, or can residential units be modified to use? And how do they get them in the RV to install them? Going to be a pretty tight fit getting it in the door and up the hallway into the hookups in the bedroom closet.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
11 REPLIES 11

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked before, our FW is equipped with W/D hookups. It's spec'd for side by side but I imagine an all in one or stackable would work too. As we shop for them, does it have to be an RV specific set, or can residential units be modified to use? And how do they get them in the RV to install them? Going to be a pretty tight fit getting it in the door and up the hallway into the hookups in the bedroom closet.

We have GE Space Saver washer and dryer in our 5th wheel . They are residential....but for apartment type applications. I can’t vouch for the quality and performance of the newer GE’s, but, we are very happy with ours. Fairly large load capacity and extremely quiet. When they are in use.....you must listen carefully to determine that they are still running!

Also......They are 110/120 volt! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
Looks like Cummins12v98 got it to work. Not sure how hard it would be to run 22o to the area...I am not an electrician or a plumber but I am pretty handy. Never saw the gray pipe type setup in the photo before, are those to help prevent leaks or are they backflow preventers?

Mine came prepped with 30A 220V for the dryer. The Washer and dryer amp draw was well within the 30A breaker and wire size. If I had a Bosch dryer the Bosch washer would simply plug into the dryer.

If you are handy it should not be hard to run. I would use 10/3 with ground in 10ga using "SO" cord as it's very easy to bend as needed and is fully jacketed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
alboy wrote:
WE have the Splendide Ariston stackable unit.These wash better than our home top line LG SET .We fulltime and use them a lot,well worth the money.

I totally believe you get what you pay for. If I were full timing that would be my approach. That said, we don't full time. Might go out for a week or so at a time, at the most a month or so.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
WE have the Splendide Ariston stackable unit.These wash better than our home top line LG SET .We fulltime and use them a lot,well worth the money.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
jrs1871 wrote:
We actually went with the Magic Chef compact (apartment) size residential washer and dryer. The dryer is 110v so no modification needed. Disclaimer, the literature with both said they were not for RV use. But they are working just fine. We only had the washer for the first three years and added the dryer this year. The stacking rack took a little modification but it works. We don't full time so I couldn't justify the cost of the Splendide washer and dryer. What we got ended up about one third of the cost.

Thanks for the info. The magic Chef apartment units are significantly cheaper. Going to really check those out.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We actually went with the Magic Chef compact (apartment) size residential washer and dryer. The dryer is 110v so no modification needed. Disclaimer, the literature with both said they were not for RV use. But they are working just fine. We only had the washer for the first three years and added the dryer this year. The stacking rack took a little modification but it works. We don't full time so I couldn't justify the cost of the Splendide washer and dryer. What we got ended up about one third of the cost.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like Cummins12v98 got it to work. Not sure how hard it would be to run 22o to the area...I am not an electrician or a plumber but I am pretty handy. Never saw the gray pipe type setup in the photo before, are those to help prevent leaks or are they backflow preventers?

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you're looking for are Apartment size units, typically only about 24" wide.
They're out there, but many end up switching to the Splendide units.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
220V washer and dryer.

Whirlpool 110V was a POS so we bought a 220V Bosch 500 series. It's been GREAT for 4 years full-time. The 220V whirlpool dryer has been good for 5 years full-time.

These are considered "Apartment Size".

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, it seems aside from the 110 to 220 issue, the main reasons are size and weight. RV W/D sets are expensive - that's my main reason for asking. I can a get a used residential W/D for a fraction of what an RV unit would be.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think if you tried to use a residential it would be too heavy, the electrical set up in mine is for 110, not 220 so a residential electric dryer would not work, might have to take out a big window to get it in, at least that is what I was told about a fridge. And the footprint of the unit might be too big. I think you would have to do smaller loads so you have plenty of hot water and don't fill your black (or gray?) tank too quickly.