cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Review of MorRyde IS and Disc Brakes

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Literally days after bringing home Arctic Fox 27-5L, I had IS and brakes installed.

While it's not inexpensive, I LOVE the IS. Even the truck rides smoother. I had almost 1,000 miles towing the trailer with factory suspension. So, did have some tow experience with the rig, and it bounced around about what I expected. Afterwards, holy cow, trailer's not bouncing around anymore, even drove from MI to FL with a potted plant on the table, it was right where we left it. Biggest shock to me was the impact to the truck, it doesn't chuck or bounce.

Disc brakes, well lets just say I'm going to have a chat with MorRyde. I thought brake activation is a bit slow. Once pressure got built up, brakes were quite effective. It really came to a head on the way home, stopping by to visit a friend for a few days in TN. Wife was driving, and a young lady turned right in front of us and wife stood on the brakes. Several moments later, trailer finally started slowing the rig down, and literally stopped us inches away from a very wide eyed young lady. My friend and I bled the brakes. Two lines had what he characterized as a lot of air. I was energizing the pump, and the sound difference between starting bleed and after completing was significant. Could literally hear the pressure slowly building. Now it's almost instantaneous. Looking forward to finishing the drive home with brakes that will quickly build pressure.
19 REPLIES 19

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
I have followed up with MorRyde, and they are taking this seriously, as they should. They are scheduling an operations review to identify any needed process changes to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Can't ask for any more.

They are stand up people! The tech I had when I had them add a 3" spacer was great and the other has a good rep also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have followed up with MorRyde, and they are taking this seriously, as they should. They are scheduling an operations review to identify any needed process changes to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Can't ask for any more.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good info, thanks. But IMHO not needed as long as you check level every few trips. You will get an idea how often based on consumption.
Yes I assume just for convenience. AFAIK if the reservoir is low, the pads are in need of replacement. No fluid should be consumed or lost. Maybe a 3 or 4 axle trailer could need some additional reserve.

Don't "assume" as the fluid will go down as the pads get thinner. So check for sure!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good info, thanks. But IMHO not needed as long as you check level every few trips. You will get an idea how often based on consumption.
Yes I assume just for convenience. AFAIK if the reservoir is low, the pads are in need of replacement. No fluid should be consumed or lost. Maybe a 3 or 4 axle trailer could need some additional reserve.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I found bleeding to be a bit tedious due to the small reservoir. The pump makes quick work of it as long as it does not go empty.

What pump does MorRyde use? After my research I bought a Hydrastar and it has excellent response to the P3 controller.

MORryde uses the Largest HydraStar.
There is also an extra capacity reservoir kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-sf-Brake_Actuator-pt-Reservoir_Retro_Kit.aspx

Im am on my 3rd fiver with the Morryde IS and Disc combo.....

When my wife ( who hates to spend money ) says that we will never own another fiver without those that's saying something..

I DID have a couple issues with my last install, none of which was the fault of Morryde....

Between Morryde AND Kodiak, my issues were resolved FAST, and I was 100% satisfied with the conclusion.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information and I'm happy to hear you are happy with the upgrade! I agree with the disc brakes; I was absolutely shocked at how well they work when we got our current fiver and I too would not be without them now.

I flushed the brake system on my fiver last year and although it's a bit tedious to keep filling the reservoir, it's not a bad job. I was just happy none of the bleeders were frozen!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I found bleeding to be a bit tedious due to the small reservoir. The pump makes quick work of it as long as it does not go empty.

What pump does MorRyde use? After my research I bought a Hydrastar and it has excellent response to the P3 controller.

There is also an extra capacity reservoir kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-sf-Brake_Actuator-pt-Reservoir_Retro_Kit.aspx

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
After bleeding the brakes, I've much happier with the disc brakes.

Point is, MorRyde didn't do an adequate bleed job, and I heard from others this is a common problem. Maybe they don't have their mechanics properly set up to do this as a one person job.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mholman
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 GMC Duramax recognizes the electric over hydraulic brakes and they work great.
I wont own another trailer without them.
2018 D/A crew cab standard bed,
2004 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, Dexter/Titan Disc brakes, EZ Flex wet-bolt, CRE 3000 center link suspension, B&W hitch, 5Th Airborne sidewinder pin box.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Must be a Ford or GM thing as the RAM's have never needed anything to make the system work.

It may also be the activator that needs the module. My 2011 F350 doesnt need anything extra.

I have the same Hydrastar activator on my boat trailer using a Tekonsha controller in my 01 RAM nothing needed.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a Ford or GM thing as the RAM's have never needed anything to make the system work.

It may also be the activator that needs the module. My 2011 F350 doesnt need anything extra.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel