Clicky

Probably not the best way to do it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
15 REPLIES 15

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Of course there is money for signals, signs, cameras and repairs, but none to fix the problem.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I meant that they should have been enough, just not for this fool. Inflection is lost in the printed word unfortunately. The electronic sign is clearly warning him/her in the video.
The railroad added the steel beam years ago to stop the damage to their
property. So far it has worked. The insurance coverage results would be interesting to know.
Puma 30RKSS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
A BA sign, and the electronic blinking warning evidently aren't enough. Depending on what part of Durham you are in the GPS WILL take you that way.

AFAIK, there =is= a demand-driven warning board; only comes on when there's an overheight approaching. I =think= that it also changes the stop light to red, to give you more time to think about what you're doing. This guy got what he deserved; he =saw= the board light up and stopped well before proceeding, then decided to chance it. GPS =will= reroute you if you decide to turn. Also, how many different "trucker" or "RV" GPS units are out there? On top of that, there's a generic database of over 8,000 low clearances that you can install in =any= common GPS or map app.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
Yea, there's more videos of that same overpass where trucks and trailers start out tall and come out on the short side!

I'm now 13'4". I'll be watching height a lot more now. First experience I had about 6 weeks ago, bringing home the new 5er, I parked it in my camper usual spot. After I got in place, my neighbor watched me pull in and told me that "thing" on the top of your new camper is in the tree branches. I looked up and sure enough. It was that little rounded television antenna. I ended up climbing up on the roof and cut the tree branches even higher. Nothing damaged the roof or anything, it was only the small twigs touching. But I cut up as high as I could while standing on the roof. I doubled checked the trailer height and made a mental note... do not attempt to go anything under 14 feet and I'll be OK!

There's lots of discussions on these forums about trailer length, but not near as much about trailer height! Who actually looks up anyway?

The video is a good reminder ... yep! Look up!

Did the same thing at my dad's house. I =thought= I had enough clearance but, NOPE; took off one of the mushroom vents and creased the front pop-up vent lid. One 8" scrape on the roof that I taped over as a "just in case". Had some overhanging branches on the shortest route into my house that took 6 months and several calls to Code Enforcement to get resolved, but there's still some "hangers" that would brush the top of my KZ but not do damage, or not for several years, anyway. They were hanging so low that my old 11' Komfort would hit them; city code is a full 13'6".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A BA sign, and the electronic blinking warning evidently aren't enough. Depending on what part of Durham you are in the GPS WILL take you that way.
Puma 30RKSS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
He probably looked in his mirror, saw the pieces wih all the cars stopped around him, and decided he was too embarrassed and pissed off to get out and see what happened. Too late anyway - the damage was already done. Might as well leave all the evidence behind. :W
Barney

The people in the 3 vehicles behind the guy were evidently morons in a big hurry. The mini van almost got into the car beside. Perhaps the 5th wheel guy should of veered to the left and took out all 3 of the idiots.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
GPS told him to go that way!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of the more popular videos that shows a low clearance steel bridge.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
He probably looked in his mirror, saw the pieces wih all the cars stopped around him, and decided he was too embarrassed and pissed off to get out and see what happened. Too late anyway - the damage was already done. Might as well leave all the evidence behind. :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Drunk.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
He hesitated for sure but it looked like he had already done significant damage.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sad for that guy. I'm never in favor of getting my giggles by watching others' misfortunes.

It did look like he stopped in time and was attempting to back up...but then he just bulled on through. Not sure why?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Fast and easy!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, there's more videos of that same overpass where trucks and trailers start out tall and come out on the short side!

I'm now 13'4". I'll be watching height a lot more now. First experience I had about 6 weeks ago, bringing home the new 5er, I parked it in my camper usual spot. After I got in place, my neighbor watched me pull in and told me that "thing" on the top of your new camper is in the tree branches. I looked up and sure enough. It was that little rounded television antenna. I ended up climbing up on the roof and cut the tree branches even higher. Nothing damaged the roof or anything, it was only the small twigs touching. But I cut up as high as I could while standing on the roof. I doubled checked the trailer height and made a mental note... do not attempt to go anything under 14 feet and I'll be OK!

There's lots of discussions on these forums about trailer length, but not near as much about trailer height! Who actually looks up anyway?

The video is a good reminder ... yep! Look up!